• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Being hassled by Milwaukee PD right now

oak1971

Are you able to divulge in what manner you were carrying in the vehicle? Was it on your hip?
I am glad your weekend ordeal is over and hope that everything gets resolved quickly for you.

As a self appointed legal "expert", you should know that discussing an open case in detail on a internet forum is a no-no.

oak1971

Cite Please...
All I see is "OC in the car". This does not illustrate manner of carry. If this automatically means "On the hip" then there should be no issue with replying to my post indicating such.

Which is why that discretion is the better part of valor when the rule of law is innocent until proven guilty.

Quit trying so hard to be an internet hero and you won't look silly later.

Interceptor_Knight

Which is why that discretion is the better part of valor when the rule of law is innocent until proven guilty.

Quit trying so hard to be an internet hero and you won't look silly later.

Quit trying so hard to make personal attacks. Try instead to discuss the subject matter at hand.

You used the word expert, not me.
Too late for this detail.

Last edited:

oak1971

Quit trying so hard to make personal attacks. Try instead to discuss the subject matter at hand.

You used the word expert, not me.
Too late for this detail.

The word "expert" was in quotes for a reason. You claim "expert" status and tout your legal team on a regular basis, yet are proven to be inaccurate on a regular basis.

Your pronouncement of guilt without factual evidence or knowledge of the case is one more reason to place little credence in your opinions on legal matters.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Gentlemen, please.

This thread is about MKEgal's tribulations - not the place for bickering.

BROKENSPROKET

Flamethrower, I feel very compeled to offer you a humble and sincere apology. I began to realize yesterday, that my words to you were premature and unfair. I believed my assumption to be justified and it was not. For that, I apologize.

Interceptor_Knight

the WI Supreme Court has said that not giving your name is not grounds for an obstruction charge:

The requirement to identify yourself changes when you are in a vehicle. The WI Supreme court ruled in State v. Ellenbecker that even in a disabled vehicle you must provide your drivers license. Subsequent convictions in other cases on appeal were also upheld by them even if the vehicle was stationary when the drivers license was requested.

Trip20

You don't need to fix any part of my post. I just heard Krysta's interview on the radio show where she described the transaction.

Trip20

She refused to identify herself and she was the driver of the car. Is there a difference? That will be up to the courts to decide.

Yes, there is a difference. One is a request for an individual to verbally provide their name, the other is a request for proof one is licensed to operate a vehicle through providing a drivers license.

MilProGuy

Flamethrower, I feel very compeled to offer you a humble and sincere apology.

Thank you for demonstrating a good example of a responsible adult.

We should all be as responsible for the words we speak, and stand ready to offer an apology when one is called for.

BROKENSPROKET

the requirement to identify yourself changes when you are in a vehicle. The wi supreme court ruled in state v. Ellenbecker that even in a disabled vehicle you must provide your drivers license. Subsequent convictions in other cases on appeal were also upheld by them even if the vehicle was stationary when the drivers license was requested.

Exactly.

Last edited:

Badger Johnson

The requirement to identify yourself changes when you are in a vehicle. The WI Supreme court ruled in State v. Ellenbecker that even in a disabled vehicle you must provide your drivers license. Subsequent convictions in other cases on appeal were also upheld by them even if the vehicle was stationary when the drivers license was requested.

So, if I'm 15 and sitting in a car and don't have my driver's license yet, I have to provide one? BS. WI Supreme court is evidently filled with morons.

Last edited:

Fallschirjmäger

Errr... Not so much. No court in the land is going to rule that a motorist fixing a disabled car in his own driveway or yard is in any way obligated to provide or even possess a valid driver's license.
MKEgal's vehicle was not disabled.
MKEgal's vehicle was not on a pubic thoroughfare; but was upon private property (unless I've read the original post incorrectly.) How it got there is not a matter of concern, a third-party could have driven it or aliens may have beamed it there, neither is illegal.

So, if I'm 15 and sitting in a car and don't have my driver's license yet, I have to provide one? BS. WI Supreme court is evidently filled with morons.
Agreed (with reservations about the WI Supreme Court.)
Now, if you were 15 years old and sitting in a car that was traveling on public roads, and admitted that you had been driving it, it would be different. But, that's not the situation at hand with MKE.

A car that's not being operated upon public thoroughfares isn't subject to the laws applicable to cars that are being driven upon thoroughfares. Unless.... someone believes that NASCAR cars must have operable horns, lights, and turn signals.
Heck, I bet most drivers aren't even carrying a valid state driver's license and proof of vehicle insurance in their Nomex undies.

Last edited:

Trip20

No, not exactly. The case cited is a narrow ruling under specific circumstances as it relates to a lawful request for a state issued drivers license. IK's attempt to broaden the opinion of the court in State v. Ellenbecker to fit this situation is a stretch of the imagination and nothing more than his opinion; an opinion you appear to share.

That's all well and good, but at least put the opinion forth as such.

Can someone here can give sufficient reason why I should believe Krysta does not know the difference between a request for her state issue drivers license and a verbal request for one's name? I didn't think so.

By the way, please fix your post where you misquoted me.

MKEgal

Thanks all for the support, those who are being supportive.
Thanks to the people who tried to bail me out, people who bugged MPD until they started hanging up the phone when they heard my name... Hearing about that made me chuckle.

I understand that the refusal to accept the money order as overnight bail is _NOT_ sitting well with Sheriff Clarke. We'll see what comes of that.

My current largest concern is money.
Met w/ my lawyer briefly this morning; she says that at a minimum her fee will be $2500 (dealing w/ the 2 MKE citations + working to stop the filing of ccw charges). If the DA files ccw charges, the fees go up.

When I checked my PayPal account, I started to cry, right here in Wendy's.
Since yesterday afternoon, so far there's a bit over $400 donated, mostly in $10 - $25 amounts... a few larger, a few smaller.
THANK YOU ALL

More info as I'm able to provide it.

MKEgal

Interceptor_Knight said:
Are you able to divulge in what manner you were carrying in the vehicle?
Openly, in a holster, on my right hip, just like I walk around outside the car most of the time.
Dave took a picture of me sitting in my car w/ the computer on my lap & says my hip is clearly visible.