• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC while hunting?

rob31567

Could someone please either point me in a direction on where to read on this or does anyone have a simple explanation on if I am able to OC while hunting? Ive read some on the Ky.org site, but I guess I am not understanding it correctly. Any info. would be greatly appreciated.........Rob

rob31567

Thanks 09, I've had several people tell me that I couldnt carry open even after reading the ky deerguide. Thats why I asked about it. Maybe those people need to read up on the laws to learn some things. Thanks for the reply.

09jisaac

Thanks 09, I've had several people tell me that I couldnt carry open even after reading the ky deerguide. Thats why I asked about it. Maybe those people need to read up on the laws to learn some things. Thanks for the reply.

The thing about people (most?), the like to talk out their ass about things that they don't know. Especially on the internet, if you are asking for legal advice, make them cite their sources..... Unless it is gutshot, he IS the source (he'll cite it when he finds it).....

Since you are new:

http://www.lrc.ky.gov/KRS/237-00/CHAPTER.HTM
http://www.lrc.ky.gov/KRS/244-00/125.PDF
http://www.lrc.ky.gov/KRS/527-00/CHAPTER.HTM

I would suggest reading and understanding all of these....

langzaiguy

I believe it was recently against the law (or administrative regulation) to OC while hunting. It was unconstitutional and it was changed. It is, indeed, legal.

rob31567

Thanks guys for the info. I'm originally from Georgia and the laws down there are way different than up here. Georgia was pretty strict with their laws, but that was 8 years ago. After reading what 09 posted, I have a better understanding of the ins and outs here in Ky. And as for the hunting question, I had a DNR officer kinda give me a hard time coming off the property a couple weeks ago. Didnt get his name cause I didnt give it much thought at the time. But that made me more curious so thats how I wound up on this forum. Thanks again and I am sure Ill have a few more questions before its over. :D

KYGlockster

Activist Member
If you read the hunting and trapping guide, right near the front, it has new regulations for 2011-2012. It says in blue that anyone who can legally possess a firearm can carry one for self defense while hunting. It was changed before last season, and your self defense handgun can have normal capacity, only the firearm your hunting with has to have 10rd or less magazines. If you are afraid of being bothered, carry the guide in your pack. I'm at camp right now with my g20 on my side and 7mm setting in the back of the truck, and that's what I'll carry all weekend.