• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Must see YOUTUBE

protias

I definitely learned something valuable this morning! Thanks Joe! This tidbit of legal information will go into my notebook.

You are welcome. I'm full of useful (and useless for that matter) information. Knowing your rights is important.

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member
http://www.iihs.org/laws/checkpoints.html

Prohibited by statute. WIS. STAT. ANN. 349.02(2)(a).

Report them!

Ah, but "safety inspections" are an exception:

349.02(2) (a) Notwithstanding sub. (1), a police officer, sheriff, dep-
uty sheriff, traffic officer or motor vehicle inspector may not stop
or inspect a vehicle solely to determine compliance with a statute
or ordinance specified under par. (b) unless the police officer,
sheriff, deputy sheriff, traffic officer or motor vehicle inspector
has reasonable cause to believe that a violation of a statute or ordi-
nance specified under par. (b) has been committed. This para-
graph does not limit the authority of a police officer, sheriff, dep-
uty sheriff, traffic officer or motor vehicle inspector to make an
arrest or issue a citation for a violation of any statute or ordinance
specified under par. (b) observed in the course of a stop or inspec-
tion made for a lawful purpose.
This paragraph does not apply to
a traffic officer or motor vehicle inspector in the performance of
duties under s. 110.075 (2).

110.075(2) When directed by any traffic officer or motor vehicle inspector, the operator of any motor vehicle shall stop and submit such motor vehicle to an inspection and such tests as are necessary to determine whether it meets the requirements of this section, or that its equipment is not in proper adjustment or repair, or in violation of the equipment provisions of ss. 110.05, 110.06, 110.063 and 110.064, ch. 347, or rules issued pursuant thereto. Such inspection shall be made with respect to the brakes, lights, turn signals, steering, horns and warning devices, glass, mirrors, exhaust system, windshield wipers, tires, and other items of equipment designated by the secretary.

So, when you read the fine print they can stop you in the guise of a safety inspection and then see if you've been drinking. This is statutorily legal, defacto DUI checkpoint.

Trip20

So, when you read the fine print they can stop you in the guise of a safety inspection and then see if you've been drinking. This is statutorily legal, defacto DUI checkpoint.

Exactly. :cuss:

protias

Thanks for letting me know. Emails are being sent to my reps.