• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

what would you have done

2005futch

hi everyone,
got a question for you all.
last night my girlfriends sister was at a bar, and a guy that she has been seeing for close to a year was a little drunk, and they ended up in a fight. he chocked her, punched her,she passed out just for a few minutes, and when she woke up, the guy went to his truck and got out a hammer, and threaten to use it or kill her with it. thank god someone else came outside and pulled him off. he never hit her with the hammer.
she calls me to come down there. now i open carry everywhere i go, the guy was long gone when i got there, but lets say he came back when i was there with the hammer in his hand.
do i have the right to use my weapon in a case like that? the guy is 6 foot 4 maybe 215 pds, i am 5 foot 5, 120 pounds.
what would you have done?

smlawrence

You have the right to use lethal force when you feel in danger for your life, POINT BLANK, just use your common sense.

Dreamer

hi everyone,
got a question for you all.
last night my girlfriends sister was at a bar, and a guy that she has been seeing for close to a year was a little drunk, and they ended up in a fight. he chocked her, punched her,

First off, normal rational, law-abiding people don't choke, punch, and knock out women when they get "a little drunk". Either this dude was hammered and is a REALLY mean drunk, or he is a stone-cold sociopath and just uses drinking as an excuse for his bad behavior...

Second, I'd get a new girlfriend. If your girlfriend expects you to some bail her and her white trash sister out every time they go drinking with some sociopathic redneck, and you put up with that sort of exploitation, then you have some SERIOUS self-esteem issues dude...

Third, I would have called the police and reported this drunk boyfriend as a drunk driver, and hopefully he would get arrested and spend the night in the drunk tank and have his license suspended.

Fourth, I would have let the police know that your girlfriend's sister had been assaulted, and needed medical attention. Teh ambulance and police that responded would be MUCH better equipped to deal with any ensuing mayhem if this crazy drunk boyfriend returned, and they could have given the girls a ride home.

I am NOT a taxi service for drunk family members. I will gladly call a cab for them and pay for it (and then send them the bill later). If people don't want to get assaulted by drunks in bars, and then lose their ride home, then either 1) drive their own car and be a "designated driver", 2) don't go to bars, or 3) call a freaking cab. If you've got money to go to bars, you've got enough money for cab fare...

People who need to get drunk to "have fun" are generally not very much fun when they are sober, and therefore are NOT people I care to spend much time with, except when I'm in the mood to point and laugh at stumbling, bumbling, mumbling idiots...

Last edited:

aosailor

Come on now Dreamer. Don't sugar coat it, tell us how you really feel. lol ;)

I'm with Dreamer on this one. when I read the the OP the first thought that crossed my mind was "call the friggin cops!". thats what they get paid for. I'm not private security or a body guard, and I sure as heck won't be one for free!

why didnt Your gf call the cops first? She didnt want want to risk the reputation of a drunk, psycho, woman-beating douchebag, but she is willing to risk your personal well-being/life and risk you going to jail?? Thats some girl you got there.... dare I say a keeper?

Last edited:

muccione

Yup.. Call the cops and then I might go for support. And give the ride home if needed. I have called for rides in the past and wouldn't deny a ride.
Now if anyone came at me with a hammer regardless of size, I would use ANY form of self defense, I just happen to have o tool just for that on my hip.

PistolPackingMomma

First off, normal rational, law-abiding people don't choke, punch, and knock out women when they get "a little drunk". Either this dude was hammered and is a REALLY mean drunk, or he is a stone-cold sociopath and just uses drinking as an excuse for his bad behavior...

Second, I'd get a new girlfriend. If your girlfriend expects you to some bail her and her white trash sister out every time they go drinking with some sociopathic redneck, and you put up with that sort of exploitation, then you have some SERIOUS self-esteem issues dude...

Third, I would have called the police and reported this drunk boyfriend as a drunk driver, and hopefully he would get arrested and spend the night in the drunk tank and have his license suspended.

Fourth, I would have let the police know that your girlfriend's sister had been assaulted, and needed medical attention. Teh ambulance and police that responded would be MUCH better equipped to deal with any ensuing mayhem if this crazy drunk boyfriend returned, and they could have given the girls a ride home.

I am NOT a taxi service for drunk family members. I will gladly call a cab for them and pay for it (and then send them the bill later). If people don't want to get assaulted by drunks in bars, and then lose their ride home, then either 1) drive their own car and be a "designated driver", 2) don't go to bars, or 3) call a freaking cab. If you've got money to go to bars, you've got enough money for cab fare...

People who need to get drunk to "have fun" are generally not very much fun when they are sober, and therefore are NOT people I care to spend much time with, except when I'm in the mood to point and laugh at stumbling, bumbling, mumbling idiots...

This. I'll also add that you should consult a lawyer for legal advice, not the internet.

bigl0af

OK people the guy wanted folks to chime in with "advice" regarding a hypothetical confrontation, not folks chiming in with opinions of his girl or his self esteem.

The question was if someone comes at you with a weapon, intent on assaulting you, are you legally authorized to use deadly force. In NC i believe you are, but at the end of the day to hell with "the law". Fact is, if you are in danger of losing your life, you have a natural right to self defense by all means required to preserve your life and your liberty. After all, it's better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6.

That being said, it's always best to avoid those situations to begin with. Sounds like a crime was committed so someone should have definitely called the cops too.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

ncwabbit

call the constables...

I am afraid someone (judicial system) might take a dim view and look at you as the premediated agressor if you rushed down and showed up OC'g on the outside of a bar where the 'boyfriend' who just beat up your gf's sister shows up and he decides, based on seeing your firearm, to have a discussion w/you, hammer notwithstanding, and you take him down.

better to get medical help and the authorities involved and try to get the woman some counseling.

yes i know you can defend yourself if attacked but IMHO you are going to have a tough road ahead explaining your actions to the authorities as possibly coming across as the provocateur which ended in a death.

(can anybody lend me two cents...the economy is bad and of late haven't found any pennies on the sidewalk)

Last edited:

ArmySoldier22

yes i know you can defend yourself if attacked but IMHO you are going to have a tough road ahead explaining your actions to the authorities as possibly coming across as the provocateur which ended in a death.

(can anybody lend me two cents...the economy is bad and of late haven't found any pennies on the sidewalk)

It's sad that things are like this though. Not just in this situation, but there are a thousand different scenarios where you can have the best intentions in the world and come across a situation where you feel like your life is in imminent danger, and worry about being judged badly in the end. When it comes down to it, I will always put my life as well as the life of somebody I love over what the lawyers in court have to say afterwards, but you still may have to deal with backwards prosecutors when it comes down to it.

The night before last, my aunt's boyfriend got mugged coming home from work late at night. He was tired and decided to take a short cut and two guys jumped him and they didn't even say anything, they just started beating him. He has cracked ribs and his face was beat in pretty bad. Even though it's all over now and he's still alive, I would've used my firearm in that situation if it had been me. Does that make it wrong knowing now that I most likely would've survived it, probably, but it doesn't change the way I would've reacted at the time.

Another downside to his situation..yesterday he calls me asking if I can help him get a firearm for self defense. Unfortunately he has a felony on his record from when he was 18. I never asked what it was, but my aunt told me it was something stupid. So even after this, he won't be able to defend himself.

David

p85

a couple of comments

I don't see where the OP said this was hypothetical nor did he indicate that his girlfriend was there with her sister. With that in mind, comments about his girlfriend are unnecessary as she cannot control the habits of her sister.

As to how to handle the situation, I do agree with most of the posters that the law should have been called. The sisters 'boyfriend' has problems and the system has ways to deal with it if used.

aosailor

I don't see where the OP said this was hypothetical nor did he indicate that his girlfriend was there with her sister. With that in mind, comments about his girlfriend are unnecessary as she cannot control the habits of her sister.

As to how to handle the situation, I do agree with most of the posters that the law should have been called. The sisters 'boyfriend' has problems and the system has ways to deal with it if used.

After re-reading the OP more carefully I see where the gf seems to have not been out with her sister when this went down. Though I'm not sure who called futch, I guess I read it as his gf called him. I do apologize for my comments if the gf was not the one to have called futch. However the title of the thread is " What would you have done". So with that in mind IF IN FACT THE GF DID MAKE THE CALL then my original post stands

chiefjason

Get in and out as fast as possible.
Hope for the best.
Plan for the worst.

And most importantly, explain very clearly that this is the exception and not the rule. If it becomes a habit, it would cease to be my problem. Cops don't even like domestics, there's a good reason for that.