• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Good Backup guns

gm2max

First off, this is 50% off topic for the forums, but 50% related to OC. I have my Concealed permit, and in an Open carry state (VA). I have been OC my Glock 19 in a hip mounted Serpa holster. It was suggested to me by my gun dealer (pawn/gun shop) to get a backup gun. I am not a millionaire, but get good income, so I have to make a decision. Either get the Glock 34 that I have been yearning for, and use that as my main carry, and conceal my G19:
OR get another gun (preferably another 9mm due to ammo interchangeability) for a backup concealed gun.

Now this issue has a couple of practical questions:
I can CC my glock 19, as I did today underneath my jacket, but I 99% of the time OC.
Should I just OC a G34, and conceal the G19? Where would I put the G19 if I do this?
Where would I put a backup gun? I hope for easy access to it? i.e. Not in a shoulder holster that I have to unzip my jacket to get (time!)
I dont want to spend too much on a backup gun, (above $600)

and things of this sort. I am rather short on time, so I admit I didn't properly use the search function.

Any suggestions (hopefully mostly from experience answers will help me out.

Cheers
GM2

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Other than a pawn shop FFL is trying to get you to buy a BU, why do you feel the need?

Not that "I want one" is not sufficient, at least in my book. But do you just want one (I'm thinking "No" because of finances) or is there something in your life that makes you feel that you "need" one?

Now, if you are thinking about having a "spare" in case your primary carry goes Tango Uniform and has to spend time at the gunsmith for repairs, then a back-up makes sense as a plainly practical matter, as in "One is none and two is one".

From a personal perspective, if what I'm carrying in the gun + any reloads (extra magazine(s) or speedloader(s)) is not enough then I needed reinforcements a while ago and should have slowed down the expenditure of my ammo. (Aint hindsight just wonderful?) But that's just me. YMMV.

stay safe.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
You certainly have the option to CC a BUG if you have a CHP. Just remember you will have to put the same amount of training into it as you do for your primary gun. A BUG does nothing if you don't know how to use it. I occasionally carry a BUG (Taurus PT738) concealed in the small of my back. Do I think I might need it? Probably not, but that's what everyone says about my primary gun.

Last edited:

Dreamer

Occasionally when I OC my Para P-14.45, I will also CC my Glock 36 as a BUG. Sure they have different mags, but they use the same ammo, and I never have to worry that my BUG doesn't have sufficient power.

I guess I take the "belt and suspenders" approach to BUGs. What's the point of carrying a smaller caliber BUG? IF your main piece isn't doing the job, how is switching to a smaller caliber firearm going to help?

When I'm at home, I carry the Glock most days. My BUG is a Mossberg 500. If the Glock in .45acp can't do the trick in my own home, then I'm moving up to something that I KNOW will "stop the threat"...

gm2max

Thanks guys (and maybe girls),

I find your points very valid. I will use my G19 normally, until I get a G34, and then I might just carry both.

There should be no reason my G19 will fail. After all, I carry 75 rounds on me(5 mags in different places)

hogeaterf6

Most leo's around here carry a Bersa .380, LCP, or TCP. Dectective I know carries a LCP all the time.

I like my TCP. Fits my hand alot better then the LCP.

StoicMaverick

There should be no reason my G19 will fail. After all, I carry 75 rounds on me(5 mags in different places)

Hold the phone; you carry five extra mags with you? All the time? You'r totally within your rights to do so but lugging a box and a half of 9mm just seems like it would be heavy if noting else. Just a thought.

09jisaac

Hold the phone; you carry five extra mags with you? All the time? You'r totally within your rights to do so but lugging a box and a half of 9mm just seems like it would be heavy if noting else. Just a thought.

And now he is wanting a backup gun.

Next it will be a carry rifle, and then frag over HE, then ask which vest offers the most protection from AT mines.

I just think he is prepared, no matter what come along. I could fend of 17 ninjas, but 18 would be my breaking point unless I decided to chamber a round and then refresh my mag, then it would be 19.

Alexcabbie

A backup gun would probably be used at very close range. Probably some kind of derringer would suffice.

The only contingency I can see for a BUG is a situation wherein your primary gun has malfuncioned or has run out of ammo and there is insufficient time to remedy the problem or reload. If you are too far away from your oponent to hit him with a derringer, then you are probably far enough away to flee. The object of the exercise is to LIVE to see tomorrow. Personally, I will run if I can. In situations arising in environments unrelated to military actions, the objective is NOT to kill the bad guy, the objective is to remain alive at the conclusion of the proceedings. Call me a wuss.

45acpForMe

I prefer to carry a BUG. I also prefer that BUG to have the same caliber as my primary gun.

With that said one advantage of a BUG vs extra magazines is that you can arm a family member or friend if needed. Being able to do that probably won't help you in a mugging or robbery but if a crazy starts walking around shooting people I would like my daughter to have something to defend herself as we try to vacate the area. (especially if we get separated or I get taken out)

How you plan to carry it and which gun you choose may limit choices on how to carry. I like pocket carry IN A HOLSTER for my BUG. Many like IWB but I find it very uncomfortable since I don't buy pants two sizes larger.

Since your primary is a 9mm I strongly recommend staying with 9mm for your BUG. If you choose another Glock, magazine sharing is another plus for some models. Other than the glock there are several small 9mm available. Kahr, KelTec, Ruger, etc.

As another post states, it definitely is a good thing to have a second gun because assuming you survive any incident your gun will be confiscated for some long period of time and you may not be allowed to purchase another.

Last edited:

hogeaterf6

small hands?

For me or the Leo's? Leo's use as a back up. I guess I have small hands. The TCP & LCP are about the same size but the LCP's grip fit the contours of my hand better. Kinda why I went with Bersa as my primary. Fit better then S&W and Berretas.

since9

Campaign Veteran
As another post states, it definitely is a good thing to have a second gun because assuming you survive any incident your gun will be confiscated for some long period of time and you may not be allowed to purchase another.

If your primary firearm is confiscated by LEO, your BUG will probably be confiscated as well. So a third firearm is in order, preferably one no one knows about.