• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry In Sioux Falls

fivepin

Hello,
Im Kinda new to shooting and have already owned 2 hand guns. I already have my CC for transporting my gun when traveling accross the state. I am concidering OC. I have only seen maybe 5 or 6 people doing this during my 7 years of living here. My question is, other than the laws, are there any "unwriten rules" or things you should and shouldn't do when OC? I am kind of scared of OC because of the very few people I have seen OC.

XDSTEEL

You are not Alone

Hey Glad to see another person from my area OCing. I have been OCing for awhile in my area, but I have done it several times in Sioux Falls.

1. Follow State law like you mentioned.
2.Be courteous to others. Answer thier questions if you want to.
3. Be more aware of your surroundings
4.Be courteous but stand your ground. you are a lawabiding citizen and doing nothing wrong.

Look around on the forum and read some LE and CIV encounters. Also actually go out and OC. Please PM if you have some questions.

fivepin

Thanks XD
I think once I start OCing and maybe be around other OCers I will fell a little more comfortable with it. Also I have been reading the forum and seen that some people are trying to set up OC gatherings. Just wondering if there is one in town soon or who is trying to set one up. 1 more question is what places in sf are OC friendly?

Last edited:

XDSTEEL

There is an OC meet scheduled for the 18th in Sioux Falls. Please PM if you have any questions.

XDSTEEL

Great OC Meet

Hey nice to meet you fivepin. Great OC meet hope you had a great time. All of us will have to do it again sometime soon!

fivepin

Hey would weekend of the 15th or the 21st work out for you? If so I am game to head down there for a meeting.

Malcolm

Good day, I'm from AZ looking to move to Sioux Falls

My wife hates the desert and we're looking to move to a nice place in the north, Sioux Falls has topped our list. I OC here everyday. I love AZ's gun laws, and the culture might be one of the most tolerant in the nation, but our time here is coming to an end. If we move to SD, I plan on OC'ing regularly and probably CC'ing as well. It appears that OC isn't that popular up there. My question is mainly about OC tolerance. I have no problem answering question and being looked at weird. I like informing and would also like to be apart of OC gatherings. Anyway, I wish the OC'ers the best of luck up there and hopefully I'll be able to join the club.

XDSTEEL

Welcome

My wife hates the desert and we're looking to move to a nice place in the north, Sioux Falls has topped our list. I OC here everyday. I love AZ's gun laws, and the culture might be one of the most tolerant in the nation, but our time here is coming to an end. If we move to SD, I plan on OC'ing regularly and probably CC'ing as well. It appears that OC isn't that popular up there. My question is mainly about OC tolerance. I have no problem answering question and being looked at weird. I like informing and would also like to be apart of OC gatherings. Anyway, I wish the OC'ers the best of luck up there and hopefully I'll be able to join the club.

It is mostly you get wierd looks at, but our small group are slowly getting them used to it. South Dakota is pretty free when it comes to gun rights but not as much as AZ. Cops will be cops. They know it is legal to OC, but some of them will enforce thier opinion and not law. Some won't care till you break the law. It just isn't as practiced up here like in AZ. I looked at Sioux Falls firearms ordiances and they have really none to speak of. I OCed many times and really nobody cared. If you have any questions i will be mare than happy to help you out.

hogeaterf6

Carried 2 yrs thru SD and no probs. Thing is hard for me to get use to is not carring into bars.

Conman330

OC meetings?

Hey XDSTEEL I saw you mentioned something about OC meetings in Sioux Falls I was just wondering if you could let me know when the next one is. Thanks

XDSTEEL

SUFU Meeting

Hey XDSTEEL I saw you mentioned something about OC meetings in Sioux Falls I was just wondering if you could let me know when the next one is. Thanks

Hey glad to see that you want to join us! You just missed an OC lunch down in Vermillion. I would be happy to let you know when the next one is! You can join us on our facebook page and get all the latest action in South Dakota Open Carry. I just added some Pictures from the 22nd. Also if you are not from South Dakota please still like us on facebook. We are still small but are growing pretty fast! I am having a logo made and will be available for everyone. But i am not that far yet so please just check out the facebook page and I will See you down range! Conman330 please PM me or ask on facebook!