• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Why your tax bill might surge next year

DangerClose

http://finance.yahoo.com/taxes/arti...iz?mod=taxes-advice_strategy#mwpphu-container

In a recent tax planning meeting with one of our clients, we shocked them with what their income tax future looked like for 2013 if -- on the off-chance -- Congress continues to do nothing to provide a long-term permanent set of tax laws.

• Dividends taxed at capital gains rates removed, taxed at regular rates now

• Capital gains low tax rates expires

• Child care deduction limit of $3,000 reverts to $2,400

• Low 10% tax bracket for low income Americans is eliminated

• Lower income tax rates and smaller brackets expires

The list is a lot longer, but I didn't want to post the entire article. One of the most interesting ones to me is the lowest tax bracket would expire. That is at 10%. It was created by the Bush tax cuts. If that expires, the people in the lowest bracket will go up to 15%. That's a 50% tax increase.

Anyone who thinks the Bush tax cuts only helped the rich, here's what happens when they expire.

The comment section there is fun reading. I laughed at this one:

They sent my Tax Return back! AGAIN!!! In response to the question:
"List all dependents?" I replied ,....
"12 million illegal immigrants;
"3 million crack heads;
"42 million unemployable people on food stamps,
"2 million people in over 243 prisons;
"Half of Mexico ;
and "535 fools in the U.S. House and Senate."
Apparently, this was NOT an acceptable answer.

JoeSparky

Centurion
http://finance.yahoo.com/taxes/arti...iz?mod=taxes-advice_strategy#mwpphu-container

The list is a lot longer, but I didn't want to post the entire article. One of the most interesting ones to me is the lowest tax bracket would expire. That is at 10%. It was created by the Bush tax cuts. If that expires, the people in the lowest bracket will go up to 15%. That's a 50% tax increase.

Anyone who thinks the Bush tax cuts only helped the rich, here's what happens when they expire.

The comment section there is fun reading. I laughed at this one:

They sent my Tax Return back! AGAIN!!! In response to the question:
"List all dependents?" I replied ,....
"12 million illegal immigrants;
"3 million crack heads;
"42 million unemployable people on food stamps,
"2 million people in over 243 prisons;
"Half of Mexico ;
and "535 fools in the U.S. House and Senate."
Apparently, this was NOT an acceptable answer.

Did they ask you to provide the SS numbers for each of your claimed dependents and prove that you provided over 1/2 of their support?