• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OT: Inslee holds cash edge; McKenna faces money freeze

44Brent

For fans of Rob McKenna (or people like myself who believe that he is slightly less statist than Inslee) here's an article regarding the governor's race

http://www.theolympian.com/2011/11/11/1872919/inslee-holds-cash-edge-mckenna.html

OLYMPIA, Wash. – Democratic gubernatorial hopeful Jay Inslee holds a cash lead over Republican candidate Rob McKenna
AdvertisementQuantcast

New fundraising reports released Friday show Inslee having about $1.7 million available at the end of October, compared to about $1.5 million for McKenna. McKenna has raised more money overall but has also spent more so far.

Inslee's lead is likely to widen in the months to come as McKenna, who serves as attorney general, will be barred from raising cash from the end of November until after the Legislature departs in March. Elected state officials are prohibited from fundraising while lawmakers are in session, but Inslee does not have to abide by those restrictions because he holds federal office.

FMCDH

....Elected state officials are prohibited from fundraising while lawmakers are in session, but Inslee does not have to abide by those restrictions because he holds federal office.

So glad the playing field is equal. :rolleyes:

FMCDH

Pay close attention to his vote on HR822 on the 15th.

No need, he has already told me how hes going to vote. This is his response when I wrote him asking him to co-sponsor HR 2900. Basically he didn't say he would, and that's pretty much the same as saying he wont when its coming from a democrat on a gun bill. Hes not a co-sponsor for 822 either at this time.

But....
The current state of HR 822
http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquery/z?d112:HR00822:@@@P

The current state of HR 2900
http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquery/z?d112:h.r.2900:

Sir,

Thank you for your letter regarding second amendment rights. I appreciate hearing from you on this important issue.

As the 112th Congress addresses gun safety issues, I would like you to know that I believe that law-abiding adults and non felons, should have the ability to own firearms for hunting, target shooting, recreational purposes, and self-protection. My goals during future gun safety debates will be to preserve our Second Amendment rights while keeping firearms out of the hands of criminals and untrained children.

You may be pleased to learn that on July 28, 2010, I voted to support H.R. 5827, the Protecting Gun Owners in Bankruptcy Act. This legislation would allow an individual debtor, facing bankruptcy, to exempt from the property of their estate a single rifle, shotgun, or pistol of any value, or a combination of the three types of firearms so long as the total value of the firearms does not exceed $1,500. This legislation was passed by the House of Representatives, with my support, by a vote of 307-113, and has been forwarded to the Senate.

In addition, you may also be interested to know that during the 109th Congress I voted for the Disaster Recovery Personal Protection Act of 2006 (H.R. 5013). This bill would have prohibited the confiscation of legally possessed firearms during a national emergency in areas where such arms are permitted. However, H.R. 5013 was not considered by the Senate before the 109th Congress adjourned and, therefore, was not enacted into law.

Furthermore, I believe that we must also have strong penalties for criminals and preventative programs that reduce future crimes. Accordingly, I have voted to deter crime with stiff penalties for drug dealers, murderers, and rapists, as well as voting for preventative programs to help keep kids away from a life of crime. While in Congress, I voted for "Three Strikes, and You're Out" for repeat offenders and measures to expand the death penalty.

Please continue to contact me about the issues that concern you, as I both need and welcome your thoughts and ideas. Because security measures in the House cause delays in receiving postal mail, I encourage you to contact me by telephone, by fax, or through my website at http://www.house.gov/inslee/contact. For more information on my activities in Congress, and for information on services that my office can provide, please visit my website at http://www.house.gov/inslee/.

Very truly yours,

JAY INSLEE
Member of Congress

amlevin

McKenna can't raise cash during legislative session

but nothing will stop his supporters from running ads on their own supporting him. Look for the ads to continue, his organization just won't be calling on the phone or mailing requests for money.

If it were up to me, all political candidates would get a check for a couple of million dollars, depending on the office and level of Government and THAT's all they could have to spend on their campaigns. No spending by PAC's, Corporations, or "Individuals", period. When the Candidate is out of this fund that's it unless he wants to buy a pair of good walking shoes and go door to door.

This would take the Corporations out of our Politics and put it back in the hands of the individuals. Might even elevate some of the candidates that don't have a long list of corporate "sponsors" to the level of a real contender. We don't get the best candidates elected, just those with the biggest "war chest" and media budget.

FMCDH

Just sent a new letter to Jay Inslee asking him to support HR 822 using the NRA-ILA system.

As a law-abiding gun owner who believes in the Second Amendment and in the
inalienable right to self-defense, I urge you to support H.R. 822, the
"National Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Act of 2011."

I urge you NOT to believe the anti-gun hype and hysteria of people like
the Attorney General of New York who want you to believe that the laws of
any hosting state will be trumped by the carriers home state. Such
assertions are simply a lie. He knows it, we know it, and you should know
it too.

This bill strikes a balance between the individual right to self defense
and the states need to maintain laws for their own localities.

Every state except Illinois, provides a legal mechanism for law-abiding
gun owners to carry a firearm for self-defense. In passing these laws,
states recognize that the right to self-defense does not end at one's
front door. Passage of H.R. 822 would ensure the right to self-defense
doesn't end at one's state border.

The 49 states that allow for the lawful carrying of firearms have proven
that recognition of this right does not lead to more crime. Those
licensed to legally carry firearms are among the most law-abiding citizens
in the country, and they pose no threat to society. In fact, armed
citizens are proven crime deterrents that make all Americans safer.

Just as driver's licenses are recognized across state boundaries, so too
should carry permits be recognized.

I urge you to support H.R. 822 and vote to pass this bill without any
anti-gun amendments. I would appreciate hearing back from you on your
position on this bill and how you intend to vote.

Your Constituent,