• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

MKEgal Is Free

Zeus

Donation sent. Took a minute to figure out why it wasn't working (I learned to read). I'll try to send more next week. I just got back from a trip so just getting the news today. Go get em girl. We got ur back!

MKEgal

rcawdor57 said:
...ACT 35 for vehicle carry. It states... load, unload, possess... nothing about "Open Carry".
Not trying to be obtuse or snarky or anything here, but:
1) there is no law saying that open carry is legal, because laws don't permit, they prohibit
1a) the best ones [Constitutions] prohibit actions by the gov't & its agents against citizens

2) you're the first real person (citizen) I've known of who does not equate "possess" with "carry".
(As in, wear in a holster.)
Could you try to explain why, please? PM is fine, so we don't clutter the thread any more.

rcawdor57

Campaign Veteran
Not trying to be obtuse or snarky or anything here, but:
1) there is no law saying that open carry is legal, because laws don't permit, they prohibit
1a) the best ones [Constitutions] prohibit actions by the gov't & its agents against citizens

2) you're the first real person (citizen) I've known of who does not equate "possess" with "carry".
(As in, wear in a holster.)
Could you try to explain why, please? PM is fine, so we don't clutter the thread any more.

Ah...I don't mind posting and pushing this thread back up. Krysta...I have no idea where you got the idea that I think we need a law to "allow" us to open carry. I also have no idea where you got statement number 2 either.

You didn't quote my post so I can't click on it to see what I posted. I spent ten minutes looking through the last two months of my posts and I don't see where I ever posted what you quoted. I have always stated that open carry is legal in Wisconsin in vehicles after ACT 35 was passed in July without a license. Always. I have posted many times "How can we possess, load, unload in or on a vehicle.....but as soon as we get inside a vehicle it is considered concealed??" It makes no sense to me. I have asked numerous times what "possess" means in a vehicle. To me it means a person has control over the gun whether it is worn in a holster or on the seat next to them or in the glove box...etc.

I was actually open carrying in my own vehicle in July when I was warned not to by others on this forum. I was warned that 941.23 case law would be used against me.

Please go here and read my post: http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...Gal-charged-with-941-23&p=1661671#post1661671

Added: I found my post you were referring to. I see where you are coming from. I could have been clearer. My thoughts were that since we didn't get the actual words "open carry" in the wording of ACT 35 that some police were going to charge us with concealed carry without a license in a vehicle. (based on case law). I do agree that possess is definitely open carry and it doesn't matter if I am in a restaurant booth, riding a horse or in my car.

Last edited:

Captain Nemo

The highest law in the state, constitutional law, reads we are allowed to keep and bear arms. It is a permissive law not a restrictive one. Article I, section 25. The WSC in Hamdan and Cole judged the concealed carry prohibition statute as constitutional therefore by default the law legalizes open carry because the WSC stated that the State must provide a manner of carry so that the activities in Art.I sec 25 can be exercised. In Hamdan the WSC declared that there were two manners of carry, hidden and visible. Because the concealed carry prohibition law was declared as valid then by default it could be said that Article I section 25 endorses open carry posession.

Excerpts from Hamdan.

¶38. The adoption of Article I, Section 25 did not affect prior judicial interpretations of the CCW statute or the availability of privilege defenses for CCW crimes, but it did create an obligation to protect rights guaranteed by the amendment.

¶41.-------- However, the State may not apply these regulations in situations that functionally disallow the exercise of the rights conferred under Article I, Section 25. ---------------The prohibition of conduct that is indispensable to the right to keep (possess) or bear (carry) arms for lawful purposes will not be sustained.

¶71.-------We hold, in these circumstances, that regulations limiting a constitutional right to keep and bear arms must leave some realistic alternative means to exercise the right.

¶72.-------During these times, the firearm will be either visible or concealed.

This post is not submitted so as to be argumentative. It is submitted as information.

My opinion Emphasis = mine.

MKEgal

Someone else PM'd me about the carry v. possess thing...
I see possessing as being the larger circle in the Venn diagram,
that is, possessing is the overall concept,
and carrying is a smaller circle, the more restrictive concept.
One may possess w/o carrying, but one may not carry w/o possessing.
(To confuse things further, owning is a larger circle than possession.
I still own, though I'm :cuss: prohibited from possessing.)

I have no idea where you got the idea that I think we need a law to "allow" us to open carry
I don't. Never have. I'm with you there.
To borrow from Paul, there's no law saying that I can have lasagna on Tues., but that doesn't mean it's illegal to have lasagna on Tues.

You didn't quote my post
Um... it's above what I wrote. Or at least, the part I wanted to address is.
Trimming away the other parts saves space & focusses attention.
I try to preserve the intent.

since we didn't get the actual words "open carry" in the wording of ACT 35 that some police were going to charge us with concealed carry without a license in a vehicle
Yep. Lots of us saw that problem & the :cuss: legislators didn't bother to fix it.
:banghead: :mad: :cuss: :cry: :uhoh: + a few more things I don't say in public & rarely say in private.

Last edited:

Trip20

Someone else PM'd me about the carry v. possess thing...
I see possessing as being the larger circle in the Venn diagram,
that is, possessing is the overall concept,
and carrying is a smaller circle, the more restrictive concept.
One may possess w/o carrying, but one may not carry w/o possessing.
(To confuse things further, owning is a larger circle than possession.
I still own, though I'm :cuss: prohibited from possessing.)

I don't. Never have. I'm with you there.
To borrow from Paul, there's no law saying that I can have lasagna on Tues., but that doesn't mean it's illegal to have lasagna on Tues.

Um... it's above what I wrote. Or at least, the part I wanted to address is.
Trimming away the other parts saves space & focusses attention.
I try to preserve the intent.

Yep. Lots of us saw that problem & the :cuss: legislators didn't bother to fix it.
:banghead: :mad: :cuss: :cry: :uhoh: + a few more things I don't say in public & rarely say in private.

On the whole possess/carry thing..... I'm no lawyer but I don't think the following opinion/conclusion is unreasonable. I think any reasonable citizen practicing due diligence could come to the same conclusion.

In my opinion the DOJ FAQ is reasonably construed as The Wisconsin Department of Justice's interpretation of Wisconsin Act 35. If that interpretation is that one can "possess" a loaded handgun in a vehicle with out a license, and if you believe it's reasonable to interpret possession to include having said article on your person (i.e., carry), how is it not reasonable to conclude one can legally open carry in a vehicle as a result of Act 35 effective 11/01/2011 with out a license?

Last edited:
H

Herr Heckler Koch

The stare decisis elements of the crime of concealment were not changed by Act 35. I ANAL believe that it will take case law subsequent to Act 35 to change the elements of the crime of concealment.

Trip20

The stare decisis elements of the crime of concealment were not changed by Act 35. I ANAL believe that it will take case law subsequent to Act 35 to change the elements of the crime of concealment.

IANAL either but is the legislature bound by stare decisis as well? I thought that only applied to judges with respect to precedent. When a citizen sees the DOJ's interpretation of Act 35 (i.e., the FAQ), I don't believe the conclusions are unreasonable. Jury Nullification maybe?

paul@paul-fisher.com

IANAL either but is the legislature bound by stare decisis as well? I thought that only applied to judges with respect to precedent. When a citizen sees the DOJ's interpretation of Act 35 (i.e., the FAQ), I don't believe the conclusions are unreasonable. Jury Nullification maybe?

They aren't but they didn't address it. Stave v Walls would be moot if Act 35 had changed 167.31 to include "Any firearm (handgun) contained in a vehicle pursuant to this section shall not be considered concealed" or changed 941.23 to include "Any firearm (handgun) contained in a vehicle pursuant to 167.31 shall not be considered concealed". Since they didn't, they either on purpose or inadvertently let the precedent stand.

Teej

On the whole possess/carry thing..... I'm no lawyer but I don't think the following opinion/conclusion is unreasonable. I think any reasonable citizen practicing due diligence could come to the same conclusion.

In my opinion the DOJ FAQ is reasonably construed as The Wisconsin Department of Justice's interpretation of Wisconsin Act 35. If that interpretation is that one can "possess" a loaded handgun in a vehicle with out a license, and if you believe it's reasonable to interpret possession to include having said article on your person (i.e., carry), how is it not reasonable to conclude one can legally open carry in a vehicle as a result of Act 35 effective 11/01/2011 with out a license?

It is legal. But the specifics depend on what the state considers "open", and for that all we have now is case law.

The problem with the thought process of the venn diagram and including "carry" as a subset of "possess" is that by that logic *anything* you can do while possessing that handgun would be legal - How 'bout instead of "carry" we make another fully contained "subset" and label it "on school property". Doesn't work.

The more proper way to make either of those venns is with intersecting circles - the part of "carry" that overlaps with "possess in a car" must fit within the range of another circle - "open".

A part of "carry" must exist outside the "possess" circle to cover "conceal".

Last edited:
H

Herr Heckler Koch

on jury nullification in Wisconsin, you will find little foundation in the statutes.
http://www.badgerlawyer.com/blog/?p=132

BadgerLawyer.com said:
So, how do I feel about jury nullification? Like most lawyers, when it works for my client, I feel great about it, and I wouldn’t mind if juries had a little more knowledge about it. But I would be very concerned about a legal system that devolved into juries of individuals who were absolutely confident in their ability to completely disregard the law and do whatever the hell they wanted. Our system strongly encourages juries to respect the law and set aside prejudices. In my experience, juries try very hard to uphold that, and I thank them for that. That does not always happen, though. Sometime a jury “arbitrarily” does the right thing by nullifying, but just as often, the jury does the wrong thing because they don’t like the look of the accused, whether because he is black, brown, ugly, gay, skin headed, illegal, or any other marker that draws on a collective prejudice of the random 12. A world where juries feel empowered to act on their prejudices is not a world I want to live in, and is one I spend considerable effort struggling against.

In the end, I am pretty satisfied with the system the way it is. For the most part jurors take their role quite seriously, and really do their best to reach the right result for the right reasons. While I could (and sometimes do) go on at length about the flaws, unfairnesses, inefficiencies and prejudices in the system, at the core I believe we have achieved a justice system that, at the core, is about as good as humanly possible.

Trip20

They aren't but they didn't address it. Stave v Walls would be moot if Act 35 had changed 167.31 to include "Any firearm (handgun) contained in a vehicle pursuant to this section shall not be considered concealed" or changed 941.23 to include "Any firearm (handgun) contained in a vehicle pursuant to 167.31 shall not be considered concealed". Since they didn't, they either on purpose or inadvertently let the precedent stand.

Thanks for the information. Not being argumentative I assure you, but I think what I'm getting at is that the DOJ FAQ may not have "let it stand". I say this under the assumption that a FAQ by the DOJ could be admissible evidence in portraying a reasonable person standard with regard to a citizens interpretation of what is legal. If that assumption is wrong, then I really have no basis for anything I've said thus far :D

It is legal. But the specifics depend on what the state considers "open", and for that all we have now is case law.

The problem with the thought process of the venn diagram and including "carry" as a subset of "possess" is that by that logic *anything* you can do while possessing that handgun would be legal - How 'bout instead of "carry" we make another fully contained "subset" and label it "on school property". Doesn't work.

The more proper way to make either of those venns is with intersecting circles - the part of "carry" that overlaps with "possess in a car" must fit within the range of another circle - "open".

A part of "carry" must exist outside the "possess" circle to cover "conceal".

Damn you. :D I'll have to evaluate the venn diagram in more detail before I can really understand what you mean as my head is spinning. But it looks like you're throwing out my idea that one could reasonably construe "carry" to be a type of "possess" (correct me if I'm wrong in your intent).