Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wife asked to not carry in Michael's

Wife asked to not carry in Michael's

My wife just ran into Michael's to get a crafting magazine and when she got up to the checkout, operated by the manager, she was asked not to bring her gun into the store anymore. My wife put down her magazine, told the manager that Joanne's and Hobby Lobby didn't have a problem with her OC, to which there was no reply, just a blank stare and the wife walked out. Another store we have spent untold fortunes in over the years that just lost our business.

My wife will be contacting upper management to see what the policy is and I will post if we hear back from them.

TBG
    Last edited by The Big Guy; 11-13-2011 at 12:51 AM.
    Life member GOA and NRA. Member of SAF, NAGR, TXGR and Cast Bullet Assoc.

If you bring your gun into Michael's it will make it harder for the criminals to steal your credit card numbers....

Kudos to how she reacted.
    Last edited by thebigsd; 11-12-2011 at 06:50 PM.
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

28kfps
    My wife is very crafty and I have been several Michaelís OCing for hours with my wife never an issue. Which Michaelís?

A good number of the Beltway Sniper shootings a few years back were right near several of their stores.

And I'll bet the Beltway Sniper never brought his gun into any of their stores either. Sound strategy! I wish I was a Michael's customer just so I could quit.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

28kfps
    Quote Originally Posted by zoom6zoom View Post
    A good number of the Beltway Sniper shootings a few years back were right near several of their stores.
    You may have a point. It would be just like the anti gun groups to associate a high power sniper rifle with a handgun.

[QUOTE=28kfps;1647978]My wife is very crafty and I have been several Michaelís OCing for hours with my wife never an issue. Which Michaelís?[/QUOTE

On Stephanie in Henderson, next to petsmart/officemax.

TBG

28kfps
    [QUOTE=The Big Guy;1648124]
    Quote Originally Posted by 28kfps View Post
    My wife is very crafty and I have been several Michaelís OCing for hours with my wife never an issue. Which Michaelís?[/QUOTE

On Stephanie in Henderson, next to petsmart/officemax.

TBG
    We spend time in that same store. Spent many hours many times OCing in that same store. Maybe they are prejudice against woman with guns.

The Michaels next to me (north 5th and the 215) has never said a word to me.
    "I rather be judged by 12, than carried by 6."
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet."

My fiancee shops at Michael's all the time. Looks like I'm going to have to go test the waters over there. I know they're not posted.
    "Anyone worth shooting once is worth shooting twice." -Zeus

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back!" - Malcolm Reynolds

EDC = Walther PPQ 9mm

The wife just sent a note to Michael's, told them what happened and asked what their policy is. Will advise if and when she get's an answer.

TBG

I stopped going into them when my debit card was compromised via their unsecured POS readers. Never had an issue OCing in them though. Plenty of competition to give your business too.
    Nevada Campus Carry: The Movement Continues
    http://nvcampuscarry.blogspot.com

Very interested to know their policy, as I shopped there frequently, back when I had money.

I've OC'ed in the Micheals here in Northern NV both at the one on Keitzke Lane and the one on Los Altos Parkway, while in there 1) I encountered another gentleman OC'ing with his S/O and child, 2) Nobody batted an eye or followed me around.

After only 4 months my wife finally got an acknowledgement of her email. It assigns an incident number. Now we'll see if a response is generated.

TBG

Quote Originally Posted by The Big Guy View Post
    After only 4 months my wife finally got an acknowledgement of her email. It assigns an incident number. Now we'll see if a response is generated.

TBG
    Four months and all you got was a number....wow.

That is flat-out unacceptable in my opinion.
    Last edited by thebigsd; 03-14-2012 at 03:41 PM.

I went to their web page, and sifted through their links at the bottom of the page ( where most Corps. & Co.'s, place their fine print and other information ) and I saw not one reference to a corporate policy or policies. Most corporate chains, either have a stated policy, or they don't. If it isn't a stated policy, it has no enforceable merit. Obviously, the manager thought she was exercising her 1st Amendment right, mistakenly thinking her 1st Amendment right superseded the 2nd Amendment right of your wife. I would also gather up any and all receipts & CC/DC statements, from that location, to see how much potential capital the store will lose, because of the managers decision to act against your wife's' rights.
    Be safe, be prepared, and carry on!

Alle Ihre Basisstation jetzt zu uns gehŲren

Quote Originally Posted by WOD View Post
    I went to their web page, and sifted through their links at the bottom of the page ( where most Corps. & Co.'s, place their fine print and other information ) and I saw not one reference to a corporate policy or policies. Most corporate chains, either have a stated policy, or they don't. If it isn't a stated policy, it has no enforceable merit. Obviously, the manager thought she was exercising her 1st Amendment right, mistakenly thinking her 1st Amendment right superseded the 2nd Amendment right of your wife. I would also gather up any and all receipts & CC/DC statements, from that location, to see how much potential capital the store will lose, because of the managers decision to act against your wife's' rights.
    Well, inside the business, the manager's 1st Amendment Right does supercede the 2nd Amendment Right of the customer. It sucks, but that is reality. The business can choose to not allow firearms, and those who carry can choose to not enter the business.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by wrightme View Post
    Well, inside the business, the manager's 1st Amendment Right does supercede the 2nd Amendment Right of the customer. It sucks, but that is reality. The business can choose to not allow firearms, and those who carry can choose to not enter the business.
    Fer Gawd's sake! It is not a First Amendment right versus a Second Amendment right because the manager is not the gooberment imposing anything on, or depriving anyone of, anything.

Property rights is what it is. The same ones you have to say, should you want to, that no one may enter your home unless they have a loaded functional handgun.

The Bill of Rights restricts what the gooberment can do to us. It has absolutely no influence on what one person who is not representing the gooberment does to another person. If you can convince Congress that firearm possession ought to be a protected class along with race, religion, sex and the others then you would have a civil rights violation you could ask the FBI to investigate. But it still would not involve any of the Amendments.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    Fer Gawd's sake! It is not a First Amendment right versus a Second Amendment right because the manager is not the gooberment imposing anything on, or depriving anyone of, anything.
    Um, that is what I just said.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

okay, I finally got around to open carrying to Michael's. I know this is an old thread, but give me a break lol, it's not a store I go into-I only go there with my fiancee.

So anyway, I carried there for a good half hour while she was shopping for scrapbooking supplies. Nobody said anything, but I'm not sure if anyone noticed either. It wasn't very busy and the few people that were there seemed pretty well focused on the merch they were shopping for. I'd be surprised if none of the staff saw it, but like I said, nobody said anything.
    "Anyone worth shooting once is worth shooting twice." -Zeus

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back!" - Malcolm Reynolds

EDC = Walther PPQ 9mm

Quote Originally Posted by wrightme View Post
    Um, that is what I just said.
    Re-read what you wrote. It is clearly not what you said, although it may have been what you meant.

OP, any new information?

Quote Originally Posted by thebigsd View Post
    Re-read what you wrote. It is clearly not what you said, although it may have been what you meant.
    It is the same. Just not worded the same.
    The customer's right ends where the property owner's right begins. That is NOT the same as 'goobermint infringe.' It means that the property owner can recognize and allow the customer to remain and exercise their right, but is not under a compulsion to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by wrightme
    Well, inside the business, the manager's 1st Amendment Right does supercede the 2nd Amendment Right of the customer.
    Since it is not protected as a civil right (yet), there is no 2nd Amendment right of the customer to be superceded when on private property, including business open to the public.

So you did NOT say the same thing as Skidmark, in any way, shape, or form. Intent, possibly, but not in word.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

Quote Originally Posted by thebigsd View Post

OP, any new information?
    Nope, not yet. But hell, it only took the many months to giver her a number.

TBG

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast