• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Wife asked to not carry in Michael's

The Big Guy

My wife just ran into Michael's to get a crafting magazine and when she got up to the checkout, operated by the manager, she was asked not to bring her gun into the store anymore. My wife put down her magazine, told the manager that Joanne's and Hobby Lobby didn't have a problem with her OC, to which there was no reply, just a blank stare and the wife walked out. Another store we have spent untold fortunes in over the years that just lost our business.

My wife will be contacting upper management to see what the policy is and I will post if we hear back from them.

TBG

Last edited:

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
If you bring your gun into Michael's it will make it harder for the criminals to steal your credit card numbers....

Kudos to how she reacted.

Last edited:

28kfps

My wife is very crafty and I have been several Michael’s OCing for hours with my wife never an issue. Which Michael’s?

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
And I'll bet the Beltway Sniper never brought his gun into any of their stores either. Sound strategy! I wish I was a Michael's customer just so I could quit.

28kfps

A good number of the Beltway Sniper shootings a few years back were right near several of their stores.

You may have a point. It would be just like the anti gun groups to associate a high power sniper rifle with a handgun.

28kfps

My wife is very crafty and I have been several Michael’s OCing for hours with my wife never an issue. Which Michael’s?[/QUOTE

On Stephanie in Henderson, next to petsmart/officemax.

TBG

We spend time in that same store. Spent many hours many times OCing in that same store. Maybe they are prejudice against woman with guns.

The Big Guy

The wife just sent a note to Michael's, told them what happened and asked what their policy is. Will advise if and when she get's an answer.

TBG

Nevada carrier

I stopped going into them when my debit card was compromised via their unsecured POS readers. Never had an issue OCing in them though. Plenty of competition to give your business too.

ravir3511

I've OC'ed in the Micheals here in Northern NV both at the one on Keitzke Lane and the one on Los Altos Parkway, while in there 1) I encountered another gentleman OC'ing with his S/O and child, 2) Nobody batted an eye or followed me around.

The Big Guy

After only 4 months my wife finally got an acknowledgement of her email. It assigns an incident number. Now we'll see if a response is generated.

TBG

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
After only 4 months my wife finally got an acknowledgement of her email. It assigns an incident number. Now we'll see if a response is generated.

TBG

Four months and all you got was a number....wow.

That is flat-out unacceptable in my opinion.

Last edited:

WOD

I went to their web page, and sifted through their links at the bottom of the page ( where most Corps. & Co.'s, place their fine print and other information ) and I saw not one reference to a corporate policy or policies. Most corporate chains, either have a stated policy, or they don't. If it isn't a stated policy, it has no enforceable merit. Obviously, the manager thought she was exercising her 1st Amendment right, mistakenly thinking her 1st Amendment right superseded the 2nd Amendment right of your wife. I would also gather up any and all receipts & CC/DC statements, from that location, to see how much potential capital the store will lose, because of the managers decision to act against your wife's' rights.

wrightme

I went to their web page, and sifted through their links at the bottom of the page ( where most Corps. & Co.'s, place their fine print and other information ) and I saw not one reference to a corporate policy or policies. Most corporate chains, either have a stated policy, or they don't. If it isn't a stated policy, it has no enforceable merit. Obviously, the manager thought she was exercising her 1st Amendment right, mistakenly thinking her 1st Amendment right superseded the 2nd Amendment right of your wife. I would also gather up any and all receipts & CC/DC statements, from that location, to see how much potential capital the store will lose, because of the managers decision to act against your wife's' rights.

Well, inside the business, the manager's 1st Amendment Right does supercede the 2nd Amendment Right of the customer. It sucks, but that is reality. The business can choose to not allow firearms, and those who carry can choose to not enter the business.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Well, inside the business, the manager's 1st Amendment Right does supercede the 2nd Amendment Right of the customer. It sucks, but that is reality. The business can choose to not allow firearms, and those who carry can choose to not enter the business.

Fer Gawd's sake! It is not a First Amendment right versus a Second Amendment right because the manager is not the gooberment imposing anything on, or depriving anyone of, anything.

Property rights is what it is. The same ones you have to say, should you want to, that no one may enter your home unless they have a loaded functional handgun.

The Bill of Rights restricts what the gooberment can do to us. It has absolutely no influence on what one person who is not representing the gooberment does to another person. If you can convince Congress that firearm possession ought to be a protected class along with race, religion, sex and the others then you would have a civil rights violation you could ask the FBI to investigate. But it still would not involve any of the Amendments.

stay safe.