• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Downtown Norfolk

StoicMaverick

hey guys,

I will soon be getting an apartment right in the middle of Downtown Norfolk. It'll be walking distance from the Norva, the Scope, the McAurther Mall and the like. My question is, do any of you have any good OC experience in this area and are there any places nearby that have gunbusters up?

Thanks.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Welcome to OCDO and The Old Dominion.

There's a guy that used to be active on the board - Danbus - who regularly had fun with Norfolk and it's PD over OC issues. He sometimes seemed to use them as his Christmas Fund - they'd screw up and he's win another lawsuit against them. I heard he got married, poor fella.

Since that time it's been pretty quite. Even Harborfest seems to be safer to attend, thanks to another person who OCs around the city frequently. I can't spell Chet's name so will not embarass him by mentioning it.:lol:

VCDL www.vcdl.org may have some places listed on their gun-unfriendly list. Check it out and then while you are on their site join up. Also be sure to check out the OC meet-and-eat events that are regularly posted. Between here, the meet-ups and the VCDL table at the gun shows you should find out everything you want to know. And maybe some things you didn't want to know.:shocker:

stay safe.

t33j

hey guys,

I will soon be getting an apartment right in the middle of Downtown Norfolk. It'll be walking distance from the Norva, the Scope, the McAurther Mall and the like. My question is, do any of you have any good OC experience in this area and are there any places nearby that have gunbusters up?

Thanks.

Lots.

If you don't see a sign don't worry about it. If you go to the mall consider CCing. They have no posted policy prohibiting firearms (and we'd like to keep it that way) but a few people have been asked to leave for OCing.

Don't take any crap about waterside.

Last edited:

MSC 45ACP

Lots.
..."Don't take any crap about waterside."

In the event you don't know about Waterside:
Bottom Line: The CITY helped pay for it and owns the property. Don't let anyone give you any crap about OCing there.
It IS LEGAL. You're likely to get looks, but those will be from tourists hailing from Communist countries (states) like Marylandistan, New Jerseyskaya and New Yorkovitch. Have fun and keep us posted. We may even help post your bail should you find yourself a guest at the Crossbar Inn near Harbor Park.

StoicMaverick

Thanks, that’s some good info. I never really knew much about VCDL but I will likely be joining them in the near future. I will be moving in in just under a month (man, time is flying) I don’t know how many of you live or frequent the Downtown Norfolk area but I'll keep you posted. I really love the helpful environment around here, most forums I have ever been a member of are full of hypocritical douche-bags but its nice to feel like I can actually ask a question. Keep it up.

Patriot2A

I visited a friend who has an apartment near the scope in Norfolk a few weeks ago to attend a gun show with him. I oc'd my full-size Glock in my serpa all around that area. No problems, but I didn't see any cops either. Not sure if you know about it, but theres a very nice gun store in the area called "Bobs gun shop", it has a wide range of guns and accessories, and even a shooting range on the 3rd floor! Pm me if you wanna head there and shoot sometime! Sorry about getting off topic.

Tl;dr oc'd around Norfolk no problems.

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
good to know. now if I could just OC in the Buffalo Wild Wings that will be opening in that area, things would be perfect lol.

Don't hold your breath on that one. Buffalo Wild Wings has taken a very clear anti-self defense attitude regarding people carrying sidearms in their restaurants. Myself and others have been asked to leave and not return armed when we were unaware of their policy.

Welcome to Virginia by the way!

AIC869

Thanks, that’s some good info. I never really knew much about VCDL but I will likely be joining them in the near future. I will be moving in in just under a month (man, time is flying) I don’t know how many of you live or frequent the Downtown Norfolk area but I'll keep you posted. I really love the helpful environment around here, most forums I have ever been a member of are full of hypocritical douche-bags but its nice to feel like I can actually ask a question. Keep it up.

You'll find the folks around here are pretty friendly and don't mind helping out. Personally I don't post much of late as I'm on an overseas assignment now, but I do still read the board pretty regularly. There's lots of info from lots of smart folks here that have experienced just about everything you can imagine. The Virginia forum has people from just about every corner of the state and many are in the metro areas around Hampton Roads, Richmond, and NOVA along with active folks in the smaller towns and rural areas as well.

Best advice I can give is do your homework and search around on here for any questions you might have. Chances are someone's had the same issue, but if not there's plenty of help to be found here! :)

gm2max

Hey man, I live in portsmouth, and have had no problems in norfolk. From what I hear, they are well educated about OC, mostly due to their costly mistakes. Just make sure to steer clear of schools (which includes churches with a school as part of it) and things like that.

There are friendlier places than bob's gun shop, IMO.

MSC 45ACP

Bob's prices are kinda high. Check Bress' Pawn Shop across the street. They have some interesting guns come through there from time to time, but they are knowledgeable about what they have and price them accordingly. I bought a S&W Mod 41HB for a SONG there back when they didn't know what they had, but they've educated themselves since then...

:)

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
There's a guy that used to be active on the board - Danbus - who regularly had fun with Norfolk and it's PD over OC issues. He sometimes seemed to use them as his Christmas Fund - they'd screw up and he's win another lawsuit against them.

Wasn't he usually "Carrying While Black?"

Red Dawg

OT, but TRIPPS on Independence has the meatiest tastiest not hot wings. Lendy's at the beach ahs the best with the hot varieties..
And Lendys is gun friendly, and, OH NO, Cop friendly...Good people go there. (military)