• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Downtown Norfolk

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
Hey man, I live in portsmouth, and have had no problems in norfolk. From what I hear, they are well educated about OC, mostly due to their costly mistakes. Just make sure to steer clear of schools (which includes churches with a school as part of it) and things like that.

There are friendlier places than bob's gun shop, IMO.

You needn't steer clear of schools if you have a CHP. And if you're OC'ing, you don't have to have your permit on your person should you pass close to a school... just have to have been issued one (U.S. Code 18,922). Just don't go onto the school's property. But taking a walk down the sidewalk next to the school or something similar (store or gas station, etc. across the street is fine).

gm2max

@ southern boy, really? I have been OC'ing every day and been planning my day around schools. So i can walk by a school (on the sidewalk) since i have a CHP and not get arrested? I live within 1000 feet of a school on apartment property.

I guess I should have read the laws more.....

wylde007

No need to read the law. No need to have a CHP to OC. There is no 1000' rule in Virginia. That is a federal law and local and state police are not in the business of enforcing federal laws.

We've been around this over and over and over and over and over and over...

Last edited:

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
@ southern boy, really? I have been OC'ing every day and been planning my day around schools. So i can walk by a school (on the sidewalk) since i have a CHP and not get arrested? I live within 1000 feet of a school on apartment property.

I guess I should have read the laws more.....

Just don't go onto school property. If it were me, I would walk on a sidewalk across the street from the school if I had to go by it simply to avoid any chance of problems. Walking on a sidewalk bordering the school could be construed as being provocative and while not illegal, could mess up your day.