• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Rifle Caliber Pistols for the Vehicle

Resdon111

Personally if it got to the point of having to use your AR pistol, might as well just have an M4. However I am debating an AR Pistol sometime just because, but the old adage is that your pistol is just to fight your way to your long gun.

http://www.palmettostatearmory.com/8802.php

True, but the AR pistol is a long gun in disguise anyways. That, and the fact that if someone decides to break into my truck I'd rather lose a $700 dollar AR pistol (which may not be taken in the first place given that I can mount it out of sight more easily) than my Rock River worth a couple thousand with its goodies.

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
I avoid the problem by using my .44 mag Redhawk for deer. :) I'd hate to have to shoot someone with it though, the round would most likely travel right through a person's body.

As an unrelated side note: Michigan also considers any firearm with a barrel less than 30 inches a "pistol" and is covered by our concealed pistol license (and your Wisconsin license, while in Michigan).

Last edited:

RR_Broccoli

Technically, you may have a weapon registered as a pistol with a barrel less than 16". Contenders, XP100's, Savage Strykers and similar would apply.

It becomes kind of sticky with an AR lower if it was originally registered as a rifle.

I believe that would cause it to be an SBR and never could be a Pistol. The "Pistol" part is the lower. Put a stock on it, and you need the SBR paperwork. Put a vertical grip on it, and you need the SBR paperwork. Buy it as a rifle, and if you put a short enough barrel on it, you need SBR paperwork.

It's important to know what you are doing when you skirt up close to the envelope on the ATF rules. There is a second set related to WI laws to contend with as well.

I don't think I would modify what I got from a local dealer at all, just to be on the safe side.

Lurchiron

I avoid the problem by using my .44 mag Redhawk for deer. :) I'd hate to have to shoot someone with it though, the round would most likely travel right through a person's body.

As an unrelated side note: Michigan also considers any firearm with a barrel less than 30 inches a "pistol" and is covered by our concealed pistol license (and your Wisconsin license, while in Michigan).

Holy Goose gun Batman...that's a wee bit of leather to holster up with.

Lurchiron

Regarding "true" hunting, so long as you exit your vehicle and shoot at least 50 ft from the road centerline, road hunting is no less legitimate than sitting in a building (hunting stand) with heat, etc in the middle of the woods or on the edge of a field and hoping that a stupid animal happens to wander within the considerable range of your rifle......:dude:

"Road Hunting" is when you see some 'Ol Kentuck idling down a logging trail, then you see a barrel poke out of his window; as he shoots some poor game animal...I have no problem with & walk down logging roads while hunting myself. What I can't stand is seeing some lazy(probably beered-up) slob doing it from his truck; and then complaining because the animal population is down in his "favorite" spots.

Lurchiron

No way I'd try to carry it. Though I have seen some decent holsters for AR pistols. Purely a gun to stay in the truck.

Not sure if your comment is in jest or not, so I'll cover the base and say NO WAY! Purely a defensive purpose. I believe that if one is going to fight, they should have something to fight back to. Bruatlity trumped by greater brutality and all that. Besides, I'm a hunter's safety instructor, I know better. :)

I'd be worried about the theft possibilities if you park & shop, or such. Maybe a trunk mounted rack??? :idea:

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
something to keep in mind..the AR pistols & Kel-Tec Plr16's are sweet pistols BUT they would over penetrate your target & potentially hit an innocent behind your target... If it uses a rifle round it's going to go through a Human & keep on going due to higher velocities and we are all responsible for our rounds from the time they leave the barrel until they rest.....

Interceptor_Knight

something to keep in mind..the AR pistols & Kel-Tec Plr16's are sweet pistols BUT they would over penetrate your target & potentially hit an innocent behind your target... If it uses a rifle round it's going to go through a Human & keep on going due to higher velocities and we are all responsible for our rounds from the time they leave the barrel until they rest.....

5.56 fragments at short range so it is even better in this regard than 9mm/.40/.45 for self defense which all have the potential to pass through the intended target. I have seen what .223 does to an animal and pass-through is not one of its attributes.

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
5.56 fragments at short range so it is even better in this regard than 9mm/.40/.45 for self defense which all have the potential to pass through the intended target. I have seen what .223 does to an animal and pass-through is not one of its attributes.

even at point blank range, which is what most or all defensive gun uses will be..with-in 30 feet.. most 223 /5.56 rounds leave the barrel at velocities between 2000-3000 feet per second...just sayin.. most 45 acp & 38 special Hollow point rounds tend to stop in the target, i recommend against 40 & 9mm for carry because of their high velocities & know over penetration issues.....

personally I really don't care what someone else wants to carry in their weapons, knock yourself out... I am not legally / financially responsible for the potential outcome because someone else decides to use hot rounds that are known to poke holes in Human beings and keep on going...Glad I think about these things & bought weapons that use rounds that typically won't go through the intended target..

Last edited:

Interceptor_Knight

My chances of loosing my life are almost zero because my bullet over penetrated the threat. Those chances are much higher if what I use does not penetrate enough. The odds are much higher that you will harm a bystander with a miss than with a bullet which over penetrates your intended target. Modern expanding defensive rounds are not known for over penetrating whether they are 9mm, 40S&W or .45 ACP.
M193 55gr 5.56 leaves the barrel at over 3200fps. That is why it yaws and fragments when it hits the target so long as the target is close enough for the velocity to be maintained. It is very effective for a defense round.

Vandil

I have owned a PLR-16 and now own a Rock River Arms AR-15 pistol.

I saw 4x Bushmaster carbon15 pistols go at auction last week. I'm not a fan of polymer lowers but you could swap a forged pistol lower onto it easily enough.

M

McX

Imperial Disruptor is good for home, car, work, and carry, and i beleive meets the rifle caliber requirement: 7.62 by 25