Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: VCU - No Guns? NO FUNDS! Operation Campus Safety Protest 12/1/11 @11:30 AM

Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA

VCU - No Guns? NO FUNDS! Operation Campus Safety Protest 12/1/11 @11:30 AM

Facebook Link: http://vcdl.us/vcu

Operation Campus Safety will come to the Virginia Commonwealth University in Richmond on Thursday, December 1st!

The protest will run from 11:30 AM to 2:00 PM at the VCU Commons Plaza.

VCU Students for Concealed Carry on Campus is sponsoring VCDL for this event. Thanks to John Allen, who is SCCC's President, for making the arrangement, including lining up the PA system.

More details will be forthcoming as the date draws nearer.
    Carry On.

Ed

VirginiaOpenCarry.Org (Coins, Shirts and Patches)
    - - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

Where is "VCU Commons Plaza"?

A lot has changed since I left there in 1979.
    Daniel L. Hawes - 540 347 2430 - HTTP://www.VirginiaLegalDefense.com

By the way, nothing I say on this website as "user" should be taken as either advertising for attorney services or legal advice, merely personal opinion. Everyone having a question regarding the application of law to the facts of their situation should seek the advice of an attorney competent in the subject matter of the issues presented and licensed to practice in the relevant state.

Quote Originally Posted by user View Post
    Where is "VCU Commons Plaza"?

A lot has changed since I left there in 1979.
    It looks like the street address is 907 Floyd Ave, Richmond, VA.

http://www.maps.vcu.edu/pdfs/campus_map.pdf

Number 108 on the list for the Monroe Park campus. Grid E-10.
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

Occupy Richmond + VCDL Campus Protest

Quote Originally Posted by thebigsd View Post
    It looks like the street address is 907 Floyd Ave, Richmond, VA.

http://www.maps.vcu.edu/pdfs/campus_map.pdf

Number 108 on the list for the Monroe Park campus. Grid E-10.
    This is great! Occupy Richmond is not far away. Maybe the occupy people will come.

What happens when Occupy Richmond shows up? Me thinks Richmond PD will be far less likely to assault citizens that are better armed than they are!
    He wore his gun outside his pants for all the honest world to see. Pancho & Lefty

The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us....There is no retreat but in submission and slavery! ...The war is inevitable–and let it come! I repeat it, Sir, let it come …………. PATRICK HENRY speech 1776

VT has already been covered regarding carry. But what about VCUs quad I rarely travel into that hot mess. Ill see you all there!

Also, anyone going to VCU leave some extra time to find parking, it's crazy down there.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    But why would anyone need to defend themselves when the VCU PD are so close at hand?

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/news/n...us-ar-1468455/
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Thundar View Post
    This is great! Occupy Richmond is not far away. Maybe the occupy people will come.

What happens when Occupy Richmond shows up? Me thinks Richmond PD will be far less likely to assault citizens that are better armed than they are!
    They're all the way on the Southside now Thundar...camped out next door to the Mayors house

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    But why would anyone need to defend themselves when the VCU PD are so close at hand?

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/news/n...us-ar-1468455/
    I'm coming back to town just for this. Looking forward to seeing everyone and I hope it's a big turnout.

I can hear the trumpets already!!
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Good luck gentlemen... I hope there is a huge turnout. Be warned that the head honcho (Tim Reed) at the commons and the cronies that work under him are quite a... hemorrhoid and are not likely to be real empathetic to the cause. I just recently graduated from VCU in spring 2010 and happened to be a student manager of that particular "student commons" building. You will be in a perfect spot on the plaza. It is right in the middle of the academic campus and you will definitely be there for a couple of class change-overs. You should easily have 2k people walk by between 1150-1230 as that is a major class change time. I wish I could be there but unfortunately the army has brought me to Oklahoma about a year ago.

Again, good luck and if anyone plans on taking pictures I would love to see them
    Last edited by driveramsII; 11-27-2011 at 01:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    Indeed this is the message that IMHO needs to be repeated and repeated. No more wishful thinking, no more lies, no more head in the sand. No more victims waiting for a place to happen.

Allow those good citizens to make good choices. They are after all our future.

Nice job Peter - one of your best.

Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    Agree Peter - no more lies, no more heads in the sand, no more preventing good people from making good choices. No more victims waiting for a place to happen.

These people are, after all is said, our future.

Good job - one of your best!

Quote Originally Posted by driveramsII View Post
    Again, good luck and if anyone plans on taking pictures I would love to see them
    Don't worry, Grapeshot has arranged for pictures for VCDL.

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
    Looks like I'll be joining you guys there....been asked to give a short speech.
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

Quote Originally Posted by ProShooter View Post
    Looks like I'll be joining you guys there....been asked to give a short speech.
    Look forward to it Jim.

PM sent.

Grape .. looks like me and my breakfast companion should be able to make it

Quote Originally Posted by scouser View Post
    Grape .. looks like me and my breakfast companion should be able to make it
    Yeeeees!

BTW, I just looked at the Commons event calendar online and it doesn't show any kind of event on the plaza at 1130. Just saying yall might want to check into that. I can say from experience that if there is not a scheduled event on the books, the managers will be out to run you off... just saying. Again, I speak from experience, I worked there for 3+ years, 1 of which I was a manager. Even if they do ask you to leave, go across the little brick paver "road" and they can't say anything.

BTW, I just looked at the Commons event calendar online and it doesn't show any kind of event on the plaza at 1130. Just saying yall might want to check into that. I can say from experience that if there is not a scheduled event on the books, the managers will be out to run you off... just saying. Again, I speak from experience, I worked there for 3+ years, 1 of which I was a manager. Even if they do ask you to leave, go across the little brick paver "road" and they can't say anything.
    Do you have a link to the event calender?

Never mind, I found it.
    http://events.vcu.edu/default.asp?th...ecember/1/2011

Actually, the Commons event calendar is here: https://www.mera.vcu.edu/CustomBrows...81xz1KVRGlk%3d

Actually, the Commons event calendar is here: https://www.mera.vcu.edu/CustomBrows...81xz1KVRGlk%3d
    Whether your link or mine, we are not "penciled in" yet - am following up on this.

If you call this number, someone at the information desk will answer: (804) 828-1981. Ask for event services and you will be transferred. I would get with the SCCC rep and see if they already have an event adviser assigned to them first.

Good luck, let me know if there is anything else I can help with

Operation Campus Safety

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Whether your link or mine, we are not "penciled in" yet - am following up on this.
    I cannot explain why this is not on the VCU calendar of events. Whether it is an oversight, inefficiency, or an attempt to keep the information from students. I do not know.

What I do know is that our sponsor has had formal approval for some time, equipment (PA system etc. is being provided by VCU at no cost), amplified sound can only be used from noon to 1:00 PM. The plaza is reserved for our use from 11:00 AM to 2:00 PM.

All of the "T"s have been crossed and all of the "I"s have received the necessary dots. I anticipate no problems to this regard - the people involved have done a most commendable job of paving the way.

A Va-Alert will be issued soon with any previously not issued details and confirming this event.

The VCU Commons is on the Monroe Park Campus at 907 Floyd Ave, Richmond, VA 23284. The event will be held in the courtyard on the Southwest side of the building, right in front of the Ram's Horns statue.

Map of Monroe Park Campus - pass your cursor over each building/space and the identification name will appear.

Printable directions to this event - for those w/o a GPS or not familiar w/VCU Monroe Park Campus location.

We've had great turnouts for past rallies and I expect no less an effort for this one from our very active membership.

See you there!

From Va-Alert dated 11/29

The VCDL Operation Campus Safety protest at VCU in Richmond is THIS Thursday, December 1st!

The events will be held at the VCU Commons Plaza from 11:30 AM to 2:00 PM

The VCU Commons is on the Monroe Park Campus at 907 Floyd Ave, Richmond, VA 23284. The event will be held in the courtyard on the Southwest side of the building, right in front of the Ram's Horns statue.

We have speakers scheduled to address the attendees starting at 12 noon.

Thanks to Students for Concealed Carry on Campus at VCU and the group's President, John Allen, for sponsoring the event and making the arrangements for the Commons Plaza and for the sound equipment.

I made a courtesy call and spoke with the VCU Chief of Police, John A. Venuti. He was pleasant and professional and I told him about our organization and we exchanged cell phone numbers for use during the event. He is also coordinating with the Richmond Police Department.

IMPORTANT NOTES

VCU has a regulation in place banning carry in their buildings. Consequently if you decide to carry at the event, you can open carry without a CHP or conceal carry with a CHP, but NO ONE WHO IS ARMED CAN ENTER ANY OF THEIR BUILDINGS. So, if you need to get food or use the restroom, you will have to do so either before or after the event, or walk to a business off-campus.

The antis WILL be there. Their latest tactic is to get our side in an animated debate with some of their members and to record and then edit the video to suit their objectives. They are getting more and more desperate to stop VCDL's forward movement, so they are trying to find things to discredit us. My suggestion to those attending is to not get suckered into their propaganda efforts and to just ignore them. You are not going to convince them you are right and they are not going to convince you that they are right. Our job is to talk to students, faculty, and staff and give them the VCDL "No guns? No FUNDS!" brochures and stickers. Enough said.

PARKING

There is free 2-hour parking along Main St, as well as free parking along Cary St, but both are usually packed on school days. 801 W. Main St. is the nearest parking deck (diagonally across the street).

--

I'm looking forward to this event. The press should be there, too. If you can come to the protest, please do so! They are fun and achieve a very important goal that will dovetail with our legislative agenda.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast