• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

VCU - No Guns? NO FUNDS! Operation Campus Safety Protest 12/1/11 @11:30 AM

driveramsII

If you call this number, someone at the information desk will answer: (804) 828-1981. Ask for event services and you will be transferred. I would get with the SCCC rep and see if they already have an event adviser assigned to them first.

Good luck, let me know if there is anything else I can help with

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Operation Campus Safety

Whether your link or mine, we are not "penciled in" yet - am following up on this.

I cannot explain why this is not on the VCU calendar of events. Whether it is an oversight, inefficiency, or an attempt to keep the information from students. I do not know.

What I do know is that our sponsor has had formal approval for some time, equipment (PA system etc. is being provided by VCU at no cost), amplified sound can only be used from noon to 1:00 PM. The plaza is reserved for our use from 11:00 AM to 2:00 PM.

All of the "T"s have been crossed and all of the "I"s have received the necessary dots. I anticipate no problems to this regard - the people involved have done a most commendable job of paving the way.

A Va-Alert will be issued soon with any previously not issued details and confirming this event.

The VCU Commons is on the Monroe Park Campus at 907 Floyd Ave, Richmond, VA 23284. The event will be held in the courtyard on the Southwest side of the building, right in front of the Ram's Horns statue.

Map of Monroe Park Campus - pass your cursor over each building/space and the identification name will appear.

Printable directions to this event - for those w/o a GPS or not familiar w/VCU Monroe Park Campus location.

We've had great turnouts for past rallies and I expect no less an effort for this one from our very active membership.

See you there!

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
From Va-Alert dated 11/29

The VCDL Operation Campus Safety protest at VCU in Richmond is THIS Thursday, December 1st!

The events will be held at the VCU Commons Plaza from 11:30 AM to 2:00 PM

The VCU Commons is on the Monroe Park Campus at 907 Floyd Ave, Richmond, VA 23284. The event will be held in the courtyard on the Southwest side of the building, right in front of the Ram's Horns statue.

We have speakers scheduled to address the attendees starting at 12 noon.

Thanks to Students for Concealed Carry on Campus at VCU and the group's President, John Allen, for sponsoring the event and making the arrangements for the Commons Plaza and for the sound equipment.

I made a courtesy call and spoke with the VCU Chief of Police, John A. Venuti. He was pleasant and professional and I told him about our organization and we exchanged cell phone numbers for use during the event. He is also coordinating with the Richmond Police Department.

IMPORTANT NOTES

VCU has a regulation in place banning carry in their buildings. Consequently if you decide to carry at the event, you can open carry without a CHP or conceal carry with a CHP, but NO ONE WHO IS ARMED CAN ENTER ANY OF THEIR BUILDINGS. So, if you need to get food or use the restroom, you will have to do so either before or after the event, or walk to a business off-campus.

The antis WILL be there. Their latest tactic is to get our side in an animated debate with some of their members and to record and then edit the video to suit their objectives. They are getting more and more desperate to stop VCDL's forward movement, so they are trying to find things to discredit us. My suggestion to those attending is to not get suckered into their propaganda efforts and to just ignore them. You are not going to convince them you are right and they are not going to convince you that they are right. Our job is to talk to students, faculty, and staff and give them the VCDL "No guns? No FUNDS!" brochures and stickers. Enough said.

PARKING

There is free 2-hour parking along Main St, as well as free parking along Cary St, but both are usually packed on school days. 801 W. Main St. is the nearest parking deck (diagonally across the street).

--

I'm looking forward to this event. The press should be there, too. If you can come to the protest, please do so! They are fun and achieve a very important goal that will dovetail with our legislative agenda.

driveramsII

I cannot explain why this is not on the VCU calendar of events. Whether it is an oversight, inefficiency, or an attempt to keep the information from students. I do not know.

What I do know is that our sponsor has had formal approval for some time, equipment (PA system etc. is being provided by VCU at no cost), amplified sound can only be used from noon to 1:00 PM. The plaza is reserved for our use from 11:00 AM to 2:00 PM.

All of the "T"s have been crossed and all of the "I"s have received the necessary dots. I anticipate no problems to this regard - the people involved have done a most commendable job of paving the way.

A Va-Alert will be issued soon with any previously not issued details and confirming this event.

Map of Monroe Park Campus - pass your cursor over each building/space and the identification name will appear.

Printable directions to this event - for those w/o a GPS or not familiar w/VCU Monroe Park Campus location.

We've had great turnouts for past rallies and I expect no less an effort for this one from our very active membership.

See you there!

Glad to hear everything is taken care of. They have probably made a concerted effort not to promote this event as a university, hence it is not on the calendar. Either way you should get a good amount of people passing through in between classes.

Riana

Is anyone driving down from NoVA, and have an extra seat that needs warming? I'd like to attend, but can't drive it.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I have a little something for the anti's Grape!

It's difficult to video everywhere at once so with a little Redneck engineering, I came up with the protest pole. 360 degree coverage on legs.

[video=vimeo;32918242]http://vimeo.com/32918242[/video]

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I have a little something for the anti's Grape!

It's difficult to video everywhere at once so with a little Redneck engineering, I came up with the protest pole. 360 degree coverage on legs.

[video=vimeo;32918242]http://vimeo.com/32918242[/video]

That is a jewel in the crown of functionality and cheaper than the satellite connection too, or will you still be retaining the latter as back-up? :cool:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
That is a jewel in the crown of functionality and cheaper than the satellite connection too, or will you still be retaining the latter as back-up? :cool:

I won't be able to stream GoPro's until February. They go WiFi then.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
What is the commons area where this will be held?

The VCDL email said that you can carry there but I'm just trying to figure out where this is so that when I'm driving around aimlessly looking for a parking place, I don't end up in East Bumblefart.

See post #3 and post #24. You're normally better than this....lol

scouser

don't know the area Jim, I'm going to check Google Earth or Mapquest's satellite view later tonight to get an idea myself

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I saw the address. I guess what I was asking is, is the commons some type of park or something? Just want to know what Im looking for as I'm planning to get there early.

Looking at the map will help you a lot.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I saw the address. I guess what I was asking is, is the commons some type of park or something? Just want to know what Im looking for as I'm planning to get there early.

When you get to Monroe Park. Fire one shot (so we can tell you from the neighbors. They always empty the mag.)
I'll pop smoke, green would be kinda purdy.:p

sidestreet

Gonna try to make this...,

got a lot to do that day, here, there, C'ville. Gotta start nibbling' the NoDoz.

Peter..., You da MAN!!!

sidestreet

Jeremiah 29 vs.11-13

we are not equal, we will never be equal, but we must be relentless.