• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What is required to OC?

CaptJT

Hello All,

I am the captain of a 110' motor yacht with a good deal of different style handguns and shotguns onboard. I am currently docked in Miami, FL. I often go to the range with the guns and fire them, then return back to the boat to clean and prepare them for trips abroad. We often travel to many very remote places and my crew(wife included) often carry while on their watch of the vessel.

I have just come across the OC website and would love to learn more about the regulations while in port on open carrying. I often have to carry large sums of cash for the owners or their personal belongings that cost more than my house. My wife and I would like to do our part and join the OC movement in Florida as responsible OC members. Please let me know what the current permits and or loop holes that are needed to jump through in order to open carry all the time. We are non drinkers and feel that we would be safer in Miami with the amount of crime that transpires here. After all, we can only protect ourselves and others around us in a moments notice if a gun waving idiot decides to hold up the Subway where we are eating lunch...

Thanks for any and all legal advice, along with current laws.

Best,

Capt JT

77zach

Hello All,

I am the captain of a 110' motor yacht with a good deal of different style handguns and shotguns onboard. I am currently docked in Miami, FL. I often go to the range with the guns and fire them, then return back to the boat to clean and prepare them for trips abroad. We often travel to many very remote places and my crew(wife included) often carry while on their watch of the vessel.

I have just come across the OC website and would love to learn more about the regulations while in port on open carrying. I often have to carry large sums of cash for the owners or their personal belongings that cost more than my house. My wife and I would like to do our part and join the OC movement in Florida as responsible OC members. Please let me know what the current permits and or loop holes that are needed to jump through in order to open carry all the time. We are non drinkers and feel that we would be safer in Miami with the amount of crime that transpires here. After all, we can only protect ourselves and others around us in a moments notice if a gun waving idiot decides to hold up the Subway where we are eating lunch...

Thanks for any and all legal advice, along with current laws.

Best,

Capt JT

Welcome to OCDO.

In Florida, the exceptions to 790.053 (which bans open carry) are contained in 790.25. General open carry is prohibited, even with a permission slip, also called a Concealed Weapon or Firearm License. Such a license enables you to carry concealed almost everywhere except those victim disarmament zones outlined in 790.12. 790.25 does allow those with state issued costumes to openly carry a firearm wherever they go. If you wear a state issued costume, you can be trusted. http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/br...derhill-cop-shooting-20111112,0,7945972.story

ADulay

The previous message is pretty much spot on.

In your circumstances, concealed carry is pretty much your only viable option at this time.

Be serious about it and you'll wind up carrying it everywhere. Once the novelty and apprehension of carrying the weapon "full time" wears off, it will just become another "tool" for you to carry to do your job.

Being able to get a lot of weapons handling time in, generally at a range, will really help during the initial carrying period.

Hopefully open carry will become the normal mode of operation in the coming years, but for now the best we can do "full time" in Florida is concealed carry.

AD (I open carry daily in my normal routine)

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
The answers to all of these questions and more are laid bare in the documents provided in the very first post of this thread: http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?95164-Hey-guys-what-s-going-on-in-this-thread.... Even if you disagree with the delivery, the facts are presented as clear as it's ever going to get. That is why I posted it.

state issued costume

I knew I couldn't be the only one who called it what it is...

But to the OP... Unless you are intimately familiar with FL law, and have a big pile of money to burn; don't OC here.

Floriduh is a IQ-free target zone.

Last edited:

ttprod

Do you need a CCL to OP while hunting fishing and so on there has been no clear answer that I have seen yet. also do you need a specific holster or would anyone do strap over the top or no strap.

Rich7553

Do you need a CCL to OP while hunting fishing and so on there has been no clear answer that I have seen yet. also do you need a specific holster or would anyone do strap over the top or no strap.

No, you do not need a CWFL to OC while fishing, hunting, or camping. You must be 18 or older, as opposed to 21 and older for a CWFL. There is no provision to have any specific type of holster.

StogieC

Campaign Veteran
If the Yacht is your place of work, you can carry any way you please. 790.25(3)(n) Lots of court cases to back up that law also.

Off the boat, you are generally going to be restricted to concealed carry if you have a carry license recognized by Florida. There are open carry exceptions for hunting, camping, fishing, and target shooting, but that's about it outside of your home or place of work.

Last edited:

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
I'm not spamming the thread, I went back and edited my previous posts to contain the same content... Making it real hard to miss....