• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

US officials worried about security at London 2012 Olympics US plans to send 500 FBI

H

Herr Heckler Koch

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2011/nov/13/us-worried-london-olympics-security-2012
"The US has raised repeated concerns about security at the London Olympics and is preparing to send up to 1,000 of its agents, including 500 from the FBI, to provide protection for America's contestants and diplomats, the Guardian has learned.

American officials have expressed deep unease that the UK has had to restrict the scope of anti-terrorism "stop and search" powers, and have sought a breakdown of the number of British police and other security personnel that will be available next summer."

Paid vacations.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
"Don't go stupid places with stupid people and do stupid things."

That should not include going to the Olympics as an contestant, and probably should not include going as a spectator. But given the existence of stupid people who will use any large gathering as a vehicle for committing atrocities as the means of publicizing their particular grievances, it ends up being a stupid thing to do.

Do away with the idea of the Olympics as being some way to attract tourist dollars - it costs more to prepare for them than the games bring in anyhow - and go back to the original concept of pure competition between the athletes. Maybe have TV crews - maybe. Even during the Cold War I never thought that if the Ruskie weightlifter was stronger than the Uh-murican weightlifter it meant that democracy was doomed to be overthrown by communism. And if you are really upset that the only democracy in the Middle East continues to exist you have the UN to use as a stage for voicing your displeasure - there's no need to go killing Cuban volleyball players over the issue.

Let the State Department issue one of those warnings that says it is very dangerous to go there and the American government cannot do anything to protect you if you do go there. Make everyone who goes anyway sign a waiver absolving both the USA and (f)Great Britain of all responsibility and liability.

stay safe.

Gunslinger

500 fbi agents? Are they planning on murdering women and babies? Is that a new event? Will their posterboy, bobby hanssen be going?

Last edited:

Toad

Founder's Club Member
1000 agents in total!!!!! They sure are taking the 1972 Munich attack way over board now aren't they.
I would say this fits well:
The logic of big government: Why do it cheaply when there's a more expensive way?

beebobby

If they didn't do it and something happened, Obama would be vilified for it. If they assign the agents and nothing happens, Obama will be vilified for it. See how that works? Personally, I think 500 might be a bit over the top.