• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

VCDL license plate ???

VaGunTrader

A couple of years ago I remember the VCDL trying to get enough people to pre-purchase a VCDL license plate in order for DMV to approve it. They didnt get enough takers.
Any plans on trying again?
With this website, VaGunTrader, and VaGunForum we stand a much better chance of getting enough pre-purchases to make this happen.

What do you guys think?

grylnsmn

A couple of years ago I remember the VCDL trying to get enough people to pre-purchase a VCDL license plate in order for DMV to approve it. They didnt get enough takers.
Any plans on trying again?
With this website, VaGunTrader, and VaGunForum we stand a much better chance of getting enough pre-purchases to make this happen.

What do you guys think?

Personally, I wouldn't get one, but I can understand why some people would.

I have a general rule of not putting any bumper stickers or other identifying items on my car (unless I have to, such as a parking permit). I've known too many people who have had cars vandalized by someone because of a political message on their bumper. I'd much rather remain anonymous until and unless I want to stand out in the crowd.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Personally, I wouldn't get one, but I can understand why some people would.

I have a general rule of not putting any bumper stickers or other identifying items on my car (unless I have to, such as a parking permit). I've known too many people who have had cars vandalized by someone because of a political message on their bumper. I'd much rather remain anonymous until and unless I want to stand out in the crowd.

*puts on grumpy old man costume*

Then why not just let those that want to buy one do so, without all the negatvity? Nobody is going to sneak up some night and put one on your automobile against your will.

*removes grumpy old man costume*

stay safe.

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
He didn't say anything about prohibiting anyone else from doing so. In fact he said he understands that others may want to do something that he chooses not to do. :)

Don't be so grumpy. :D

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
What do you guys think?
More than one of my friends does not like the VCDL magnets/stickers/etc because of the logo. The most boisterous of those friends says she thinks it makes VCDL look like a militia group instead of a gun rights group. Minutemen were members of teams of select men from the American colonial partisan militia during the American Revolutionary War. They provided a highly mobile, rapidly deployed force that allowed the colonies to respond immediately to war threats, hence the name. I am personally indifferent on the logo.

Ed

DTag

I'm one of those folks who is not a fan of the VCDL logo. I agree that it makes VCDL look like a militia group. It's a turn off to a lot of people for that reason. If the VCDL logo was put on the license plate... count me out. Sorry. I LOVE the organization, but hate having to explain that I'm not a member of a militia group.

scouser

The only negative for me is the space on the plate that the logo would take up. My plate is my first name then a space and then the first letter of my last name. That takes up all of the maximum of 8 characters (7 + 1 space) on a VA plate, and I have no desire to change what is on it as it has a relevent meaning for me. One that just says "guns save lives" or "http://www.vcdl.org" across the bottom of the plate, but still allows the full 8 characters, I'll pre-order one of those.

Each to their own opinion, this is just mine.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
If not the vanity tag, how about a license plate bracket?

That's actually a very good idea Grapeshot.
No approval needed, can be removed if needed, as many letters and graphics as will fit, can have different styles.

Marco

That's actually a very good idea Grapeshot.
No approval needed, can be removed if needed, as many letters and graphics as will fit, can have different styles.

1+
I being thinking about having one made at one of those shops in the mall.
The magnet/bumper stickers don't bother me and I haven't had any negative issues yet.
I do notice I get followed alot but that's been happenig since before I can remember, whether I'm driving or not.