• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

ND: Man shoots self to death in Spotsy grocery store parking lot

Skeptic

Founder's Club Member
http://www.wtvr.com/news/wtvr-father-kills-self-grocery-store-20111114,0,314000.story

They dont know if he was OC or pocket carry at the moment. Not sure if it was in a holster or not, sounds like maybe not from what the LEOs are saying, so maybe then not OC. In any case sounds like a negligent discharge - and in front of his kids

SPOTSYLVANIA COUNTY, VA (WTVR) - A father accidentally shot and killed himself at the grocery store Sunday evening, according to the Spotsylvania County Sheriff's Office.

The father, a 45-year-old Spotsylvania man, was in his minivan with his children waiting for his wife to return a DVD to the Redbox outside the Giant Food Store in Harrison Crossing when he was shot, said Captain Elizabeth Scott with the Spotsylvania County Sheriff's Office.

The wife said she heard a pop and when she ran back to the minivan, her husband told her he thought he'd shot himself, said Capt. Scott.

When a Spotsylania County Sheriff's Deputy arrived on scene minutes after the shooting, the man's wife and others in the Giant parking lot were trying to revive the man.
Win a Samsung Galaxy Tab. "Like" CBS 6 on Facebook.

The deputy reported the man suffered significant blood loss and was already unconscious when he arrived. The man was later pronounced dead at Mary Washington Hospital, said Capt. Scott.

She said the initial investigation indicated when the man tried to unbuckle his seat belt, he hit the trigger of his .40 caliber glock and shot himself in the hip.

It is unclear whether the man carried his gun in a holster or his pocket. It has also not been determined whether the man was a licensed gun owner, however his wife indicated to investigators she knew he carried a weapon with him from time to time, said Capt. Scott.

"If you're going to carry a concealed weapon, put it in a reputable holster," Capt. Scott said when asked about general gun safety tips.

The Spotsylvania County Sheriff's Department is continuing to investigate the shooting to determine whether there are any signs of foul play.

Last edited:

MilProGuy

It is tragic, indeed...especially so because this traumatic episode happened in front of his children.

grylnsmn

From the article:
It is unclear whether the man carried his gun in a holster or his pocket. It has also not been determined whether the man was a licensed gun owner, however his wife indicated to investigators she knew he carried a weapon with him from time to time, said Capt. Scott.
I guarantee that he wasn't a licensed gun owner, at least not in Virginia.

We all know that a licensed gun owner would never do something like that, right? :uhoh:

wylde007

Well they might if they owned a Glock.:uhoh:
Respectfully, I resent the implication of that statement. :D

Of course, if his firearm had been properly holstered/secured there is no reasonable way in heck he would have shot himself.

Since it indicates he accidentally "pulled the trigger" rather than potentially released the safety and somehow (how, exactly) forced the hammer, it doesn't sound like the weapon was properly anything.

DocWalker

It sounds like he pulled a Pelaxico Burris and shot himself while have a unholstered gun in his pants. If in a proper holster the trigger should be protected from being pulled. Glocks also have a weak safety system and are prone to more accidents like this is carried in a unapproved reckless manner. Loaded unholstered in a pocket where the trigger can be pulled back is asking for the discount vasectomy.

Steeler-gal

better muscle memory

She said the initial investigation indicated when the man tried to unbuckle his seat belt, he hit the trigger of his .40 caliber glock and shot himself in the hip.

All the more reason to practice the fine motor skill of not curling that index finger around the trigger until ready to pull the trigger.

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
It sounds like he pulled a Pelaxico Burris and shot himself while have a unholstered gun in his pants. If in a proper holster the trigger should be protected from being pulled. Glocks also have a weak safety system and are prone to more accidents like this is carried in a unapproved reckless manner. Loaded unholstered in a pocket where the trigger can be pulled back is asking for the discount vasectomy.
agreed.

gm2max

thats a shame...
@ the man who relates a hammer to a glock, i beg to differ :)
the only way to bring that striker back to where spring pressure COULD ram it back forward is trigger pull. This is why i use a Blackhawk Serpa holster. It covers the trigger area completely!

ocholsteroc

Here, look a holster caused AD..

http://www.itstactical.com/warcom/f...her-holsters-can-cause-accidental-discharges/

GRAPHIC PICTURE.

SAFETY WARNING! Worn Leather Holsters Can Cause Accidental Discharges!

5547242760_c73a55d78a_m.jpg

Last edited:

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
Glocks also have a weak safety system and are prone to more accidents like this is carried in a unapproved reckless manner. .

Cite?

Glocks have 3 mechanical safeties which are only disengaged together when the trigger is pulled.....just like many, many other guns. A discharge can occur with any gun not carried in a safe manner which protects the trigger guard area.

Last edited:

DocWalker

Cite?

Glocks have 3 mechanical safeties which are only disengaged together when the trigger is pulled.....just like many, many other guns. A discharge can occur with any gun not carried in a safe manner which protects the trigger guard area.

Option on the amount of injuries I have seen from self inflicted accidents involving Glocks as opposed to other pistols.

Pistols that have a thumb safety that you have to flip with your thumb or a web safety in conjuction with the trigger safety. My personnal observation is when a Glock is carried loaded in your pocket without a holster it is much easier to accidentally pull the trigger back than if you had to either flip a safety by the slide or pull the trigger and push the web safety at the same time.

I have seen more accidental discharges from Glocks than other brands when someone doesn't carry it properly.

TFred

Option on the amount of injuries I have seen from self inflicted accidents involving Glocks as opposed to other pistols.

Pistols that have a thumb safety that you have to flip with your thumb or a web safety in conjuction with the trigger safety. My personnal observation is when a Glock is carried loaded in your pocket without a holster it is much easier to accidentally pull the trigger back than if you had to either flip a safety by the slide or pull the trigger and push the web safety at the same time.

I have seen more accidental discharges from Glocks than other brands when someone doesn't carry it properly.
You'd need to have total use or ownership numbers for this to be meaningful. A per-capita percentage is the only way you can draw a reasonable conclusion about such things.

TFred

DocWalker

You'd need to have total use or ownership numbers for this to be meaningful. A per-capita percentage is the only way you can draw a reasonable conclusion about such things.

TFred

I would have to do some serious research to come up with some numbers that are not just made up but while I do that you need to get a Tauras, Berretta, Smith and Wesson and put them on safe and try and pull the trigger. Then get a Springfield 45 ACP or another gun with a web safety on the back of the pistol grip and without pushing in the web safety pull the trigger. Then grab a glock and pull the trigger, I bet the only trigger you can pull is the Glock Trigger as the safety is on the trigger.

I'm niether for or against Glocks, I have just seen more accidental discharge injury's of people carrying Glocks than any other brand. Guess I should have been keeping a log for the last 20 years.

I do think it is the idiot with the weapon and not the brand of weapon that matters, a Glock in someone that is careful is just as safe as any other brand. What these self inflicted gunshots have in common is they all have an idiot that puts a loaded gun in his pants without a holster to secure it properly.