• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

He who has the most permits wins...

BROKENSPROKET

I don't either...

I agree, but the harder we fight for it now, th better it will be in 2013. But one thing i fear about this bill, is that if it passed the states that oppossed it would make so many restriction on carrying in thier state that it render it almost meaningless. Unless the was a nation wide premeption of state firearm laws. But the more I think about it, it would be better if the Federal Government stayed out of it. Leave it to the states. There could be way too many intented consequences to make a basic good notion into soemthing even worse.

BROKENSPROKET

I only have 1, but it is recognized by every state that has provisions to honor out of state licenses. I CAN'T carry in HI, CA, OR, IL, NY, RI, CT, MA, MD, or NJ. I think MI is the only state in the nation that has it's permit recognized by every state that recognizes out of state permits.

MI recognizes all resident permits, but that has nothing to do with who reconizes a MI permit. I am not understanding what you attempted to communicate.

jpm84092

i'm out of contention already; in the steeeeenkin category i got 2, and some paper with cat paw prints all over it. that's it........................'cept for maybe this cheeseburger.

McX - you might want to take that paper with "cat paw prints all over it" and send it in to UT with a copy of your WI Concealed Weapons License to get into more States - even though you do not travel much now, that could change - and UT will get you into MN while your WI CWL is invalid in MN (as of this posting). You never know when you might need a cheeseburger in MN, or the other states that UT gives you that you do not have as of now.

With a UT Permit and a WI Concealed Weapons License, you could visit the Yellow Cat in Salt Lake City by exiting WI through IA and never have to disarm. Then just let your PA permit expire as UT covers every state that you got with the PA permit.

jpm84092

MI recognizes all resident permits, but that has nothing to do with who reconizes a MI permit. I am not understanding what you attempted to communicate.

If you would consult www.handgunlaw.us you will find that the MI permit has the most recognition / reciprocity of any permit in the USA (40 states in total). However, that is only a benefit to MI residents as MI does not issue to non-residents, nor do they recognize non-resident permits from any other state - but they do recognize resident permits from all other states (except IL because IL does not allow its' residents to defend themselves and their family).

Last edited:

BROKENSPROKET

If you would consult www.handgunlaw.us you will find that the MI permit has the most recognition / reciprocity of any permit in the USA (40 states in total). However, that is only a benefit to MI residents as MI does not issue to non-residents, nor do they recognize non-resident permits from any other state - but they do recognize resident permits from all other states (except IL because IL does not allow its' residents to defend themselves and their family).

So Michigan is the best Resident permit? Like that's gonna get me to move there.

Interceptor_Knight

.. However, that is only a benefit to MI residents as MI does not issue to non-residents, nor do they recognize non-resident permits from any other state - but they do recognize resident permits from all other states ..
You must have a permit/license from any state in order to posses and carry a handgun openly in MI including hunting. A resident permit is only required to carry concealed in MI.

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
I only have 1, but it is recognized by every state that has provisions to honor out of state licenses. I CAN'T carry in HI, CA, OR, IL, NY, RI, CT, MA, MD, or NJ. I think MI is the only state in the nation that has it's permit recognized by every state that recognizes out of state permits.

Michigan and Arkansas, I believe. With the recent addition of Maine, a Michigan CPL holder can conceal-carry in every state that recognizes and or offers reciprocation for licensees from other states.

Last edited:

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
You must have a permit/license from any state in order to posses and carry a handgun openly in MI including hunting. A resident permit is only required to carry concealed in MI.

And if you are a resident of a state which requires you to have a license in order to purchase or possess a pistol (such as Illinois), you may OC (possess) a pistol in Michigan. However, there are many restrictions on OC in Michigan... so please read the applicable possession laws before doing so.

Lurchiron

Although I think he still has his place near Jackson, I think he spends most of his time on his ranch in Texas now.

Shhh...we're trying to get BrokenSproket to come down off of that roof, and be more sociable with the masses. :lol:

Last edited: