• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

John Birch Society says Wisconsin bill [AB-237] would let police arrest people ...

bmwguy11

So apparently politifact didn't do their homework and doesn't realize that this bill would have made ZERO impact on Krysta's case against brookfield.

I emailed politifact to point out the HUGE glaring flaw in their story.

Last edited:

TaurusToter

Campaign Veteran
Politifact also believes that this bill to is allow LEO to arrest for tattooing of children and drunken flying of planes. If that tiny little list is all that they cared about, then the law should have been written to include those offenses, not ALL offenses. You can polish a turd all you want, it's still a turd. This bill is worded in such a manner as to be left open to interpretation (surprise, surprise, surprise)..........

bmwguy11

Got a reply from someone at the milwaukee journal sentinel, which is interesting considering I used the "contact us" button on politifact. So JS = politifact?

Anyways, this was the reply:

The chief was making the point that under current law, officers didn't have authority to make an arrest for a state civil forfeiture violation.

My response.

Yes and while it may not have changed the rating you gave the statement, the point was that the police chief made the comment in such a way as to imply that the Krysta Sutterfield lawsuit wouldn't have happened had this new law been in place. When, in fact, that is not the case. The lawsuit would have been the same and the outcome the same. The latest news is that several legislators have dropped co-sponsorship, and the bill is all but dead now after they discovered the chief's drastically misleading statements.

The politifact article uses those same statements, and also ends up being misleading by implying that what the chief said about the new law preventing such lawsuits was true.

wild boar

There is something very...

...wrong going on, and I'm afraid it goes up the chain. This recall action may have some more concerned than we think. I write, call, and nothing. Rep Vos was always good about contacting me, but then, they were wanting, not me. Wanggaard, that guy acts like he can't read. What worries me is I've checked Vos's record, and committee involvement, he doesn't have a dog in this fight. I just don't know. Where, and when do they post public hearings on these bills? I've looked, and can't find anything. boar out.