• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

First experience open carrying

John Canuck

Snip...

If you were out of your vehicle and approached by a LEO - would you feel compelled to announce to them that you are open carrying a firearm on your hip? I would suspect that you would not as the pistol would be visible and notification would not be necessary, nor would it be required. So, since you are OCing while in your vehicle, why do you feel compelled to inform the officer that you are carrying.

If you were sitting in a booth at McDonalds (or other high quality food eatery) with your strong side in, the pistol would be as non-visible as it would be in your car. If there is no definition in the code of "concealed" (like VA for example), why are you not in danger of arrest anytime your openly carried gun is not in view because of some other object like your console, a booth, a wall you are leaning against, etc?

importinvasion

Im pretty sure oc'ing on the hip in the vehicle would not cause a problem for most leo's, however I think drawing from that position if it were ever needed might pose an issue. I think having a separate holster or movable holster may be the best answer. I relocated from NY,"land of the noone can have a gun but the cops". I was also in law enforcement, and I know from personal experience, one of the most uneasy feelings is encountering a person with a gun. It essentially takes away your oompph sort of speak. But that is a completely different town, and way of life.... any cop who has been trained out here should be fairly educated, and trained when dealing with someone who is exercising his 2nd amendment right, considering NC has very loose gun laws in comparison to some other states. If and when I am stopped by an leo, I would definately politely inform them of oc, if nothing more just to bring down their anxiety level. Now the illegal searches and seizure of my firearm, thats a different story all together. FYI, and I can only tell you that going by NY standards, the officers know next to nothing straight out of the academy. Not to mention everybody is eager to make an arrest, and pop their cherry. Just my opinion, and observation....

dmatting

If you were sitting in a booth at McDonalds (or other high quality food eatery) with your strong side in, the pistol would be as non-visible as it would be in your car. If there is no definition in the code of "concealed" (like VA for example), why are you not in danger of arrest anytime your openly carried gun is not in view because of some other object like your console, a booth, a wall you are leaning against, etc?

I can see your point - to a point. I would just say that vehicles are different in that there are laws about concealing a firearm within a vehicle and if you get the wrong cop, you could be SOL. If there was code that defined concealment in a vehicle, I would simply avoid those particular actions that make the gun concealed and I would be fine. As it is, I see it as up to the LEO which is too subjective for me.

John Canuck

I can see your point - to a point. I would just say that vehicles are different in that there are laws about concealing a firearm within a vehicle and if you get the wrong cop, you could be SOL. If there was code that defined concealment in a vehicle, I would simply avoid those particular actions that make the gun concealed and I would be fine. As it is, I see it as up to the LEO which is too subjective for me.

I see what your saying. I guess my thought was that there are codes against concealing anywhere (without a permit) so I just don't see a car as a special location. I'm covered either way when I drive through so I'm not too worried about it.

importinvasion

Well now I'm hooked.....:monkey I've oc'd to the gun ranges, and around my complex, but I got up early this morning and realized i needed toilet paper. Off to the supermarket, first time being around non gun oriented people, especially at a very early hour. I tried my best to not think about the weight on my side, and acted casual. Much to my surprise, even though she was definately aware of it, she paid no mind and even offered my a lowes card. The woman in front of me did have a child with her, who did take notice, but nobody seemed to care. Overall, a good experience. Definately a different lifestyle than what I'm used to, but starting to get the feel of it. :cool:

aosailor

I cannot cite any. I may be too conservative on this point and there may be no danger of being considered concealing when you have your handgun holstered on your hip while in your vehicle. The way the laws are written, though, leave me to view it as I do. I would love to have more clarity on this point - perhaps a firm definition of concealing while in a vehicle would be good, but nothing like that exists as far as I know.

If you were out of your vehicle and approached by a LEO - would you feel compelled to announce to them that you are open carrying a firearm on your hip? I would suspect that you would not as the pistol would be visible and notification would not be necessary, nor would it be required. So, since you are OCing while in your vehicle, why do you feel compelled to inform the officer that you are carrying?

I just see this as a very gray area and I see it as being based on the perception of the LEO, which leaves it way too loose and open to wide interpretation.

My post wasn't directed at anyone particular. And I don't hate on how everyone carries, my thing about this issue is that 99% (roughly) of everyone that has chimed in on this matter says that its considered cc like its a law or something.... when its not. Thats my only issue, so if anybody out there took my comment as a personal attack, don't.

As for announcing that I'm OCing: (Knock on wood) I've never gotten a ticket while packing. So yeah, I know I don't have to, but if it gets me out of a speeding ticket, then I'll tell the whole world! lol

Last edited:

DocWalker

you sound like my mother! lol

No I'm sounding like my father....when did that happen.

"When I was a 18 (a teenager) my father was the stupidest person I knew, but I noticed that every year since he has gotten smarter and smarter. Now at 45 he is the smartest person I know."

Go figure.

jeffrey xd45

Well I just had an idea, what if I were to fashion a serpa holster to the dash in my jeep. That way I could unholster my firearm, and reholster it in the dash mounted setup. Would that be a safer, better option?

I have had one mounted on the dash in my truck for about a year now, its a 89 ford bronco so i didnt mind putting a few holes in the dash as the holster will always be there. It works like a charm.