Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: first day of open carry. i love it

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    gaston county n.c.
    Posts
    19

    first day of open carry. i love it

    hello guys just got my purchase permit today and open carried for the first time. i feel free. i love it and i wish i would have know about the private party purchase legality 2 years ago. im 20 years old and am now carrying my glock 34 in a serpa level 2 paddle holster. went to Burger king with a friend to OC and eat lunch. I was nervous but it went well. a couple of looks. one polite nervouse fellow asked me if i was a cop. i said no i actually work at a nursing home. then i explained it was legal to openly carry a weapon here in gaston county if it is leagal for you to own a weapon. i then directed him to opencarry.org for more information.

    also for the inevitable day i have a curious LEO i am carrying a copy of my permit, copy of bill of sale, and copy of the N.C. gun rights flyer you guys helped me find. anything esle i mite need to bring? oh and i have a voice recorder on my cell phone with a lock on it so that the police cant turn it off.

  2. #2
    Regular Member MilProGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Mississippi
    Posts
    1,228
    Congrats on your first day of open carry.

    Thanks for sharing your encouraging experience with us.
    Proud Veteran ~ U.S. Army / Army Reserve

    Mississippi State Guard ~ Honorably Retired


  3. #3
    Founder's Club Member thebigsd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Quarryville, PA
    Posts
    3,543
    Sounds like you are carrying everything you need. Just remember to turn your recorder on as soon as you leave your house and keep it on until you get home. Make sure you are well-versed in NC firearms laws. Know them inside and out. If you run into an LEO and it starts to be more than friendly conversation, ask if you are being detained. If not, walk away. If so, and you aren't sure what to do, just keep your mouth shut and you'll be fine. Good luck!
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    gaston county n.c.
    Posts
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by thebigsd View Post
    Sounds like you are carrying everything you need. Just remember to turn your recorder on as soon as you leave your house and keep it on until you get home. Make sure you are well-versed in NC firearms laws. Know them inside and out. If you run into an LEO and it starts to be more than friendly conversation, ask if you are being detained. If not, walk away. If so, and you aren't sure what to do, just keep your mouth shut and you'll be fine. Good luck!
    that was my exact plan so glad i found this forum

  5. #5
    Regular Member dmatting's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Durham, NC
    Posts
    443
    Welcome!

    Quote Originally Posted by mr.jake View Post
    also for the inevitable day i have a curious LEO i am carrying a copy of my permit, copy of bill of sale, and copy of the N.C. gun rights flyer you guys helped me find. anything esle i mite need to bring? oh and i have a voice recorder on my cell phone with a lock on it so that the police cant turn it off.
    What permit are you referring to? If you are open carrying, you don't need a permit of any sort. You don't need to prove ownership of your handgun to any LEO. In the event that you are stopped by a LEO, remember to ask "Am I being detained?" or "Am I free to go?" or both. You don't need to say anything else and the recommendation is that you DON'T say anything else. If you are being detained, then you definitely do not want to say ANYTHING. You can COMPLY with requests but you should also make it known that you DO NOT CONSENT to any searches or to having your gun taken away, etc. Having your recorder on the entire time you are out will allow the recording of any and all encounters without having to pull it out and start recording. They do not need to know you are recording so why tip it off?

  6. #6
    Founder's Club Member ixtow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Suwannee County, FL
    Posts
    5,069
    If you feel like you are being detained, you are. No need to ask. It is better to ask "Why am I being detained" to establish the reason, or the absence of one... If you ask "Am I being detained" it is very unlikely that you will get a straight answer, and you stand there detaining yourself.

    YOU determine if you are being detained, by whether or not the Officer makes you feel as if you are free to go, or not. If you are being detained, don't walk away. Deal with it later, get it on video/audio.

    I like asking it this way because it puts cops on notice, they often blurt out "No!" without thinking and so you're free to go! Beats standing there being harassed waiting for an answer you're never going to get.... I don't do it unless the cop is showing signs of becoming a problem. If he keeps it consensual and doesn't cross the line, no reason to play hardball.

    "I do not consent, but I won't stop you if you're inclined to be a traitor." - You don't have to listen to a lot of lip from the preachy ones if you use that line, it totally blows their mind that you have the balls... But be sure it's already going badly and not your own doing, cuz it sure won't get better after you say that....... :-p
    Last edited by ixtow; 11-17-2011 at 08:09 AM.
    "The fourth man's dark, accusing song had scratched our comfort hard and long..."
    http://edhelper.com/poetry/The_Hangm...rice_Ogden.htm

    https://gunthreadadapters.com

    "Be not intimidated ... nor suffer yourselves to be wheedled out of your Liberties by any pretense of Politeness, Delicacy, or Decency. These, as they are often used, are but three different names for Hypocrisy, Chicanery, and Cowardice." - John Adams

    Tyranny with Manners is still Tyranny.

  7. #7
    Campaign Veteran G22shooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Concord, North Carolina
    Posts
    249

    another thought

    It isn't as important as knowing how to respond to a LEO, but please use www.friendorfoe.us to add reports of your experiences as you OC. It's a great web database that we can all use and benefit from.

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    , North Carolina, USA
    Posts
    292
    Glad to have another OC'er and glad your first time went well. I would advise you against carrying your PPP with you, at least thats the one I think you are talking about. That is only needed to purchase the handgun, and is not needed to carry the gun. There is no point in carrying it and if you get stopped and the cop asked for it, just tell him you don't need it to carry the gun.

    Also if you can check into the OC cards http://forums.opencarry.org/forums/s...Business-Cards, their a little easier to keep a few in your wallet.

    Also next time someone talks to you about OC, be sure to tell them its legal in ALL of NC, and not just Gaston County, that way they know they can do it anywhere in the while state and not just near their home.

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    gaston county n.c.
    Posts
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by jag06 View Post
    Glad to have another OC'er and glad your first time went well. I would advise you against carrying your PPP with you, at least thats the one I think you are talking about. That is only needed to purchase the handgun, and is not needed to carry the gun. There is no point in carrying it and if you get stopped and the cop asked for it, just tell him you don't need it to carry the gun.

    Also if you can check into the OC cards http://forums.opencarry.org/forums/s...Business-Cards, their a little easier to keep a few in your wallet.

    Also next time someone talks to you about OC, be sure to tell them its legal in ALL of NC, and not just Gaston County, that way they know they can do it anywhere in the while state and not just near their home.
    the reason i carry my pistol permit is because im under 21 and most LE dont know that you can get a purchase permit. thank you though and i will check out that link you posted.

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    , North Carolina, USA
    Posts
    292
    Quote Originally Posted by mr.jake View Post
    the reason i carry my pistol permit is because im under 21 and most LE dont know that you can get a purchase permit. thank you though and i will check out that link you posted.
    You can carry the gun whether you own it or not, anyone 18 and over can posses a handgun whether it be a parents, friends, or their gun. And I am not 100% sure, so someone can correct me, but even with a private purchase the person who sold the gun is supposed to keep the PPP? If you get stopped and detained, the police have no reason to see your PPP since the seller is supposed to have it. I know you want to do the right thing, but you do not need it in any way to prove you are allowed to carry or allowed to posses the gun, and the police do not need to see it. Some LEO have bullied people into getting people to show it to them when they have no legal authority to see it. If you have it then you can be bullied into showing it when you don't have to, if you don't have it then they can't get you to give it to them.

    If you get stopped for any reason just remember your 5th amendment rights. Ask them why you are being detained, and if you are not driving your car you are not required to show them your drivers license, we are not a stop and id state. If for some reason they decide to arrest and charge you for OC'ing and possessing a handgun under 21, it will be thrown out and then you have grounds for an unlawful arrest civil suit.

    Know your rights! IANAL
    Last edited by jag06; 11-20-2011 at 05:17 PM.

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by jag06 View Post
    And I am not 100% sure, so someone can correct me, but even with a private purchase the person who sold the gun is supposed to keep the PPP? If you get stopped and detained, the police have no reason to see your PPP since the seller is supposed to have it. ...
    http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/enactedl...gs_14-402.html

    Technically, no. In a private sale, the purchaser must "obtain" a PPP from the sheriff. He may only buy one handgun with it. That's all it says or implies.

    It would be prudent, but not necessary in the eyes of the law, for the seller to ATLEAST verify the existence of the PPP. Even safer would be to keep the PPP, or a copy. Classic case of "letter of the law" vs. "CYA".

    IANAL, but the letter of the law looks pretty clear.

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    gaston county n.c.
    Posts
    19
    thanks for all the feedback on this thread. if anyone is interested and has the time to give me some more advise, please have a look at my other thread "lawyer in gaston county" its here in the NC section. any feed back would be greatly apreciated. and it is kind of relevant to this thread. thank you all once again.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •