• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

first day of open carry. i love it

mr.jake

hello guys just got my purchase permit today and open carried for the first time. i feel free. i love it and i wish i would have know about the private party purchase legality 2 years ago. im 20 years old and am now carrying my glock 34 in a serpa level 2 paddle holster. went to Burger king with a friend to OC and eat lunch. I was nervous but it went well. a couple of looks. one polite nervouse fellow asked me if i was a cop. i said no i actually work at a nursing home. then i explained it was legal to openly carry a weapon here in gaston county if it is leagal for you to own a weapon. i then directed him to opencarry.org :cool: for more information.

also for the inevitable day i have a curious LEO i am carrying a copy of my permit, copy of bill of sale, and copy of the N.C. gun rights flyer you guys helped me find. anything esle i mite need to bring? oh and i have a voice recorder on my cell phone with a lock on it so that the police cant turn it off.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Sounds like you are carrying everything you need. Just remember to turn your recorder on as soon as you leave your house and keep it on until you get home. Make sure you are well-versed in NC firearms laws. Know them inside and out. If you run into an LEO and it starts to be more than friendly conversation, ask if you are being detained. If not, walk away. If so, and you aren't sure what to do, just keep your mouth shut and you'll be fine. Good luck!

mr.jake

Sounds like you are carrying everything you need. Just remember to turn your recorder on as soon as you leave your house and keep it on until you get home. Make sure you are well-versed in NC firearms laws. Know them inside and out. If you run into an LEO and it starts to be more than friendly conversation, ask if you are being detained. If not, walk away. If so, and you aren't sure what to do, just keep your mouth shut and you'll be fine. Good luck!
that was my exact plan :) so glad i found this forum

dmatting

Welcome!

also for the inevitable day i have a curious LEO i am carrying a copy of my permit, copy of bill of sale, and copy of the N.C. gun rights flyer you guys helped me find. anything esle i mite need to bring? oh and i have a voice recorder on my cell phone with a lock on it so that the police cant turn it off.

What permit are you referring to? If you are open carrying, you don't need a permit of any sort. You don't need to prove ownership of your handgun to any LEO. In the event that you are stopped by a LEO, remember to ask "Am I being detained?" or "Am I free to go?" or both. You don't need to say anything else and the recommendation is that you DON'T say anything else. If you are being detained, then you definitely do not want to say ANYTHING. You can COMPLY with requests but you should also make it known that you DO NOT CONSENT to any searches or to having your gun taken away, etc. Having your recorder on the entire time you are out will allow the recording of any and all encounters without having to pull it out and start recording. They do not need to know you are recording so why tip it off?

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
If you feel like you are being detained, you are. No need to ask. It is better to ask "Why am I being detained" to establish the reason, or the absence of one... If you ask "Am I being detained" it is very unlikely that you will get a straight answer, and you stand there detaining yourself.

YOU determine if you are being detained, by whether or not the Officer makes you feel as if you are free to go, or not. If you are being detained, don't walk away. Deal with it later, get it on video/audio.

I like asking it this way because it puts cops on notice, they often blurt out "No!" without thinking and so you're free to go! Beats standing there being harassed waiting for an answer you're never going to get.... I don't do it unless the cop is showing signs of becoming a problem. If he keeps it consensual and doesn't cross the line, no reason to play hardball.

"I do not consent, but I won't stop you if you're inclined to be a traitor." - You don't have to listen to a lot of lip from the preachy ones if you use that line, it totally blows their mind that you have the balls... But be sure it's already going badly and not your own doing, cuz it sure won't get better after you say that....... :p

Last edited:

jag06

Glad to have another OC'er and glad your first time went well. I would advise you against carrying your PPP with you, at least thats the one I think you are talking about. That is only needed to purchase the handgun, and is not needed to carry the gun. There is no point in carrying it and if you get stopped and the cop asked for it, just tell him you don't need it to carry the gun.

Also if you can check into the OC cards http://forums.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?90854-NC-OC-Business-Cards, their a little easier to keep a few in your wallet.

Also next time someone talks to you about OC, be sure to tell them its legal in ALL of NC, and not just Gaston County, that way they know they can do it anywhere in the while state and not just near their home.

mr.jake

Glad to have another OC'er and glad your first time went well. I would advise you against carrying your PPP with you, at least thats the one I think you are talking about. That is only needed to purchase the handgun, and is not needed to carry the gun. There is no point in carrying it and if you get stopped and the cop asked for it, just tell him you don't need it to carry the gun.

Also if you can check into the OC cards http://forums.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?90854-NC-OC-Business-Cards, their a little easier to keep a few in your wallet.

Also next time someone talks to you about OC, be sure to tell them its legal in ALL of NC, and not just Gaston County, that way they know they can do it anywhere in the while state and not just near their home.

the reason i carry my pistol permit is because im under 21 and most LE dont know that you can get a purchase permit. thank you though and i will check out that link you posted.

jag06

the reason i carry my pistol permit is because im under 21 and most LE dont know that you can get a purchase permit. thank you though and i will check out that link you posted.

You can carry the gun whether you own it or not, anyone 18 and over can posses a handgun whether it be a parents, friends, or their gun. And I am not 100% sure, so someone can correct me, but even with a private purchase the person who sold the gun is supposed to keep the PPP? If you get stopped and detained, the police have no reason to see your PPP since the seller is supposed to have it. I know you want to do the right thing, but you do not need it in any way to prove you are allowed to carry or allowed to posses the gun, and the police do not need to see it. Some LEO have bullied people into getting people to show it to them when they have no legal authority to see it. If you have it then you can be bullied into showing it when you don't have to, if you don't have it then they can't get you to give it to them.

If you get stopped for any reason just remember your 5th amendment rights. Ask them why you are being detained, and if you are not driving your car you are not required to show them your drivers license, we are not a stop and id state. If for some reason they decide to arrest and charge you for OC'ing and possessing a handgun under 21, it will be thrown out and then you have grounds for an unlawful arrest civil suit.

Know your rights! IANAL

Last edited:

nbisme

And I am not 100% sure, so someone can correct me, but even with a private purchase the person who sold the gun is supposed to keep the PPP? If you get stopped and detained, the police have no reason to see your PPP since the seller is supposed to have it. ...

http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/enactedlegislation/statutes/html/bysection/chapter_14/gs_14-402.html

Technically, no. In a private sale, the purchaser must "obtain" a PPP from the sheriff. He may only buy one handgun with it. That's all it says or implies.

It would be prudent, but not necessary in the eyes of the law, for the seller to ATLEAST verify the existence of the PPP. Even safer would be to keep the PPP, or a copy. Classic case of "letter of the law" vs. "CYA".

IANAL, but the letter of the law looks pretty clear.

mr.jake

thanks for all the feedback on this thread. if anyone is interested and has the time to give me some more advise, please have a look at my other thread "lawyer in gaston county" its here in the NC section. any feed back would be greatly apreciated. and it is kind of relevant to this thread. thank you all once again.