Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Online gun purchase

Online gun purchase

Hey guys I had a question about purchasing firearms online. I know it must be done through an FFL and they will charge me but lets say I find a gun being sold by another FFL dealer. Does anyone know of any problems as far as you buying it from another gun shop? I know Freedom Firearms refuses to do any transfers with Budsguns and if it's not through them still charges $50 for the transfer. Anyone know anybody that is cheaper or will do a Budsguns transfer because they do seem to have the lowest price.
    "No state shall convert a liberty to a privilege, license it, and charge a fee therefor.- Murdock vs Pennsylvania 319 US 105

...If the state converts a right into a privelege, the citizen can ignore the license and fee and engage in the right... with impunity.
    - Shuttleworth vs City of Birmingham, Alabama 317 US 262

Where rights secured by the Constitution are involved, there can be no legislation which would abrogate them.
    - Miranda vs Arizona 384 US 436

Quote Originally Posted by xmanhockey7 View Post
    Hey guys I had a question about purchasing firearms online. I know it must be done through an FFL and they will charge me but lets say I find a gun being sold by another FFL dealer. Does anyone know of any problems as far as you buying it from another gun shop? I know Freedom Firearms refuses to do any transfers with Budsguns and if it's not through them still charges $50 for the transfer. Anyone know anybody that is cheaper or will do a Budsguns transfer because they do seem to have the lowest price.
    The Gunbroker site has a list of FFL dealers here:

http://www.gunbroker.com/FFL/DealerNetwork.aspx

The best thing to do is find one in your area that operates out of their home. They are usually the cheapest and are willing to work with anyone. I found a guy near me who charges $27 dollars and let me pick up my guns just about any time of the day. I have done roughly twenty transfers this way.
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

Quote Originally Posted by thebigsd View Post
    The Gunbroker site has a list of FFL dealers here:

http://www.gunbroker.com/FFL/DealerNetwork.aspx

The best thing to do is find one in your area that operates out of their home. They are usually the cheapest and are willing to work with anyone. I found a guy near me who charges $27 dollars and let me pick up my guns just about any time of the day. I have done roughly twenty transfers this way.
    Sweet, thank you.
    "No state shall convert a liberty to a privilege, license it, and charge a fee therefor.- Murdock vs Pennsylvania 319 US 105

...If the state converts a right into a privelege, the citizen can ignore the license and fee and engage in the right... with impunity.

Where rights secured by the Constitution are involved, there can be no legislation which would abrogate them.

Anyone in MI know someone who works basically out of their house who will do the transfer no problem.

Try Chuck at Southern Michigan Arms in Battle Creek. He did mine a couple of years ago for $25.00.

Bronson
    Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. Thomas Paine

I have bought several firearms from www.galleryofguns.com with no issues at all. Search for the gun you want, pop in your zip code and you can get a quote from participating dealers in your area... you see the exact price you pay. The transfer fees are built in.

Good luck with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Blk97F150 View Post
    I have bought several firearms from www.galleryofguns.com with no issues at all. Search for the gun you want, pop in your zip code and you can get a quote from participating dealers in your area... you see the exact price you pay. The transfer fees are built in.

Good luck with it.
    I have also used www.galleryofguns.com; I was very happy with the service.
    Giving up our liberties for safety is the one sure way to let the violent among us win.

"Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." -Saint Augustine

Disclaimer I am not a lawyer! Please do not consider anything you read from me to be legal advice.

Looks like Smitty's Sport Shop in Battle Creek and The Bears Den 2 in Charlotte may also do transfers/online purchases.

Bronson
    Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. Thomas Paine

easiest way

The easiest way is to look on Budsgunshop's website for FFLs that are already associated with Buds. They have a list of FFLs that Bud's already has a copy of the FFL on file and have made the arrangements. They also have a list of those with licenses that don't have an agreement with Buds as well as a list of those on file that are expired. It's super slick in my book. I have bought via gunbroker.com and used a local guy that stopped because the township shut him down for "running a business" out of his home which was against his township's ordinances. I wouldn't hesitate to look at Bud's FFL list no matter where I was buying from.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/ffl.php

Bearhawk no affiliation with Buds
    Last edited by Bearhawk; 11-15-2011 at 06:32 PM.
    "Fathom the hypocrisy of a government that requires every citizen to prove they are insured...
    but no one must prove they are a citizen! Ben Stein

Quote Originally Posted by Bearhawk View Post
    The easiest way is to look on Budsgunshop's website for FFLs that are already associated with Buds. They have a list of FFLs that Bud's already has a copy of the FFL on file and have made the arrangements. They also have a list of those with licenses that don't have an agreement with Buds as well as a list of those on file that are expired. It's super slick in my book. I have bought via gunbroker.com and used a local guy that stopped because the township shut him down for "running a business" out of his home which was against his township's ordinances. I wouldn't hesitate to look at Bud's FFL list no matter where I was buying from.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/ffl.php

Bearhawk no affiliation with Buds
    Thanks that's what I was hoping to find.

Quote Originally Posted by Blk97F150 View Post

Good luck with it.
    Just used them a few weeks ago, 19 bucks ffl fee, dont like to pay it, but it was the lowest I found, of course that was for my local gun shop, i see other a bit higher

nice that they give a life time warrenty with every gun as well!!!
    Last edited by Onnie; 11-25-2011 at 12:51 AM.
    When Guns are OUTLAWED, Ill be an OUTLAW
    American Tactical Imports C45 45 AP
    S&W sigma 40 Cal
    Bersa 380 Thunder Plus
    Hi point C9 9mm
    Chiappa 1911-22 Semi-Auto .22 LR

Im not a lawyer, but I did play a Klingon once at Universal Studios

VDM Firearms, LLC
    218 Merion Drive, Canton, MI 48188
    Canton, MI 48188
    (734) 620-1894
    vdmfirearms.com
    rick@vdmfirearms.com

Works out of his house (basement finished nice with an office), charged me $20 for transfer with tax included. Very friendly guy to do business with. Safe neighborhood. Does NICS over speaker phone for transparency.

Cheaper Than Dirt also has a monster list of FFLs all across the country. They must get the info from the .gov because I'm 99% sure they all haven't contacted CTD to be listed. I know one FFL on there who won't do transfers for strangers or someone not vouched for by a friend.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/FFLDealers/

Just put in your zip code.

Anyone know anybody that is cheaper or will do a Budsguns transfer because they do seem to have the lowest price.
    In an effort to find an answer to your question I decided to sacrifice my hard earned money in a quest for Bud's friendly FFLs. Last night I ordered a new pistol from Bud's and have selected Smitty's Sport Shop in Battle Creek to do my transfer. Their fee is $25.00 and so far they have been pleasent to work with.

Bear in mind the advertised price on Bud's is a "cash discount" price. In order to receive that price you need to pay with money order, certified check, e-check, or Bud's own credit line (there may be other options but those are the ones I remember). I used an e-check and they delay delivery until the money is transferred to their account. All of this explained up front before you make the purchase so there are no surprises.

This is my first time ordering from Bud's so we'll see how it goes.

Bronson

Quote Originally Posted by Bronson View Post
    In an effort to find an answer to your question I decided to sacrifice my hard earned money in a quest for Bud's friendly FFLs. Last night I ordered a new pistol from Bud's and have selected Smitty's Sport Shop in Battle Creek to do my transfer. Their fee is $25.00 and so far they have been pleasent to work with.

Bear in mind the advertised price on Bud's is a "cash discount" price. In order to receive that price you need to pay with money order, certified check, e-check, or Bud's own credit line (there may be other options but those are the ones I remember). I used an e-check and they delay delivery until the money is transferred to their account. All of this explained up front before you make the purchase so there are no surprises.

This is my first time ordering from Bud's so we'll see how it goes.

Bronson
    Nice. Thanks for sacrificing your money for me to find this out. What kind of gun did you get?

Nice. Thanks for sacrificing your money for me to find this out. What kind of gun did you get?
    Hey, not a problem. We look out for each other around here

I purchased the just released Bersa BP9. It's their new poly framed, single stack, 7+1, striker fired pistol. I used to have a Kahr CW40 and I loved the gun but hated the crappy service I received from Kahr. I have always had good service from Bersa and this gun will fill the void that was created when I sold the Kahr.

Bronson

Quote Originally Posted by Onnie View Post
    Just used them a few weeks ago, 19 bucks ffl fee, dont like to pay it, but it was the lowest I found, of course that was for my local gun shop, i see other a bit higher

nice that they give a life time warrenty with ever gun as well!!!
    did magnum force do the transfer for you?

Quote Originally Posted by detroit_fan View Post
    did magnum force do the transfer for you?
    yep sure did, 19.00 for the transfer

the only issue I had was the next day I called Magnum force to see if they had been notified, and I was told not, so I had to call Davison and find out what happened, seems the sales department dropped the ball and I had to have Magnum call Davison, which Tim did. I dont understand why davidson does it like that but it kinda antiquated!

anyways Wed AM (order on monday) I had the gun in my back yard shooting it!

so far so good!
    I do like the idea that if anything goes wrong with the gun they will REPLACE it, of course this is theory and not sure what the real fact are if I ever have to return the gun for repair/replacement.

Id like to throw my Chippia 1911-22 out the window, even Chippia does not want to fix it! It would have been great to have the Davidson Warrenty on that piece of junk!
    S&W sigma 40 Cal
    Bersa 380 Thunder Plus
    Hi point C9 9mm

yep sure did, 19.00 for the transfer

the only issue I had was the next day I called Magnum force to see if they had been notified, and I was told not, so I had to call Davison and find out what happened, seems the sales department dropped the ball and I had to have Magnum call Davison, which Tim did. I dont understand why davidson does it like that but it kinda antiquated!

anyways Wed AM (order on monday) I had the gun in my back yard shooting it!

so far so good!
    I do like the idea that if anything goes wrong with the gun they will REPLACE it, of course this is theory and not sure what the real fact are if I ever have to return the gun for repair/replacement.

Id like to throw my Chippia 1911-22 out the window, even Chippia does not want to fix it! It would have been great to have the Davidson Warrenty on that piece of junk!
    Thanks. I'm heading in today to talk to them about a remington 870. If they can come close to online prices I will just get it form them but if not I'm going to use them for the transfer.

No first hand experience with the Davidson warranty but a guy on another forum had them replace one and he said they didn't give him any hassle and took good care of him.

Bronson

No first hand experience with the Davidson warranty but a guy on another forum had them replace one and he said they didn't give him any hassle and took good care of him.

Bronson
    thats good to hear, hope i never have to use it. I can buy a gun from them, have it send and FFLed through my local dealer cheaper than if i just bought it from the dealer outright plus the life time warrenty

the Chippia 1911-22 piece of Donkey Dung was bad on the first round, when we sent it back to Chippia, they blamed the probem on me.

I had the gun a hold 1 hour when I took it back to the dealer

I understand not being able to return a gun if you have buyers remorse, but if its a hunk of junk, they need to fix it or take it back. at least not blame the customer for their pathic design!
    S&W sigma 40 Cal
    Bersa 380 Thunder Plus
    Hi point C9 9mm

Update: Received the call yesterday from Smitty's Sport Shop that my gun arrived from Bud's. So far, good service from Smitty's and Bud's has done everything like they said they would.

I ordered the gun late Tue./early Wed. 11-23 (the day before Thanksgiving). I used an e-check to get the advertised cash discount price. Bud's website made it clear before I ordered that they would not ship the gun until the money was deposited into their account which could take up to 6 business days. Taking into account the holiday it took a total of six business days for the entire transaction from me placing the order until the gun arrived at my dealer.

Hopefully I can get into the dealer today and pick it up, otherwise I'll have to wait until monday.

So far so good.

Bronson

Quote Originally Posted by detroit_fan View Post
    Thanks. I'm heading in today to talk to them about a remington 870. If they can come close to online prices I will just get it form them but if not I'm going to use them for the transfer.
    so how did the shopping trip go?
    S&W sigma 40 Cal
    Bersa 380 Thunder Plus
    Hi point C9 9mm

so how did the shopping trip go?
    Their price on the 870 was very competitive, I would have only saved maybe $5-$10 dollars compared to buying online.

After I got home I researched more on the model I priced, which was the 870 express. Apparently the new 870 express models have quite a few problems, both mechanically and with the finish. So after several more days of reading different forums and opinions I decided the mossberg 500 would be a better choice for my needs. I called and got a price on the model I am interested in (mossberg 50452) and it was actually $25 cheaper than the 870 express, and once again they were very close to internet price(if you factor in transfer fee). Gonna go down and order it in the next week or 2, they said it only takes a couple days to get them. I just wish they had a range there.

Hopefully I can get into the dealer today and pick it up, otherwise I'll have to wait until monday.
    Got into Smitty's Sport Shop to pick up my new gun from Bud's. Bud's did exactly what they told me they would do and Smitty's transfer fee was $25.00.

The only problem was that the guy working at Smitty's had never transfered a gun to somebody with a CPL and was going to let me walk out without a RI-60 form. When I asked him for paperwork to register the gun he said "you just have to take it down and register it." It's a good thing I knew enough to ask for the RI-60, somebody with less knowledge about gun laws would have ended up in trouble.

Bronson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast