Thread: Doctor asking about guns

Doctor asking about guns

19 months ago when we took our daughter in for her first check up they asked if we had guns in our house as part of the list of things they ask for first visit. I refused to answer at that time and the doctor replied that I was not the first to do so.

Today I took our newborn to the same place and when going over the questions again the doctor said she was not allowed to ask the gun question anymore. I know Florida recently passed a law to prevent doctors from asking but I didn't remember hearing anything here in MI. Has there been any recent legislation about this?

I couldn't find any recent Michigan law related to this issue. As for the Florida law it has been blocked bu a federal judge.

http://www.miamiherald.com/2011/09/1...stricting.html
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

Quote Originally Posted by detroit_fan View Post
    19 months ago when we took our daughter in for her first check up they asked if we had guns in our house as part of the list of things they ask for first visit. I refused to answer at that time and the doctor replied that I was not the first to do so.

Today I took our newborn to the same place and when going over the questions again the doctor said she was not allowed to ask the gun question anymore. I know Florida recently passed a law to prevent doctors from asking but I didn't remember hearing anything here in MI. Has there been any recent legislation about this?
    i wonder why that asked that question

Quote Originally Posted by rvd4now View Post
    i wonder why that asked that question
    They frame it as a safety issue.

"The implication of this bill is that the government sits by my side when I'm talking with patients and is capable of interfering with the patient-physician relationship," said Robert W. Block, MD, a pediatrician in Tulsa, Okla., and an alternate delegate who spoke on behalf of the American Academy of Pediatrics. "It's important to know of potential dangers to children. This is not a gun issue. This is the same issue as somebody who was a pool manufacturer saying we couldn't ask about swimming pools in my office."

http://www.ama-assn.org/amednews/201...4/prsh0704.htm

I don't think they should be asking about anything that does not directly relate to my medical care. They certainly shouldn't be able to refuse medical attention for refusing to answer their questions.
    Last edited by thebigsd; 11-14-2011 at 06:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by thebigsd View Post
    They frame it as a safety issue.

"The implication of this bill is that the government sits by my side when I'm talking with patients and is capable of interfering with the patient-physician relationship," said Robert W. Block, MD, a pediatrician in Tulsa, Okla., and an alternate delegate who spoke on behalf of the American Academy of Pediatrics. "It's important to know of potential dangers to children. This is not a gun issue. This is the same issue as somebody who was a pool manufacturer saying we couldn't ask about swimming pools in my office."

http://www.ama-assn.org/amednews/201...4/prsh0704.htm

I don't they should be asking about anything that does not directly relate to my medical care.
    American Academy of Pediatrics=LIBERAL. In FL where they prevent the question from being asked does NOT prohibit them from having brochures or other factual material in their doctor office. I don't want my doctor telling me what to do with my firearms as much as I want a firearms expert giving me a physical.
    "No state shall convert a liberty to a privilege, license it, and charge a fee therefor.- Murdock vs Pennsylvania 319 US 105

...If the state converts a right into a privelege, the citizen can ignore the license and fee and engage in the right... with impunity.
    - Shuttleworth vs City of Birmingham, Alabama 317 US 262

Where rights secured by the Constitution are involved, there can be no legislation which would abrogate them.
    - Miranda vs Arizona 384 US 436

Quote Originally Posted by xmanhockey7 View Post
    American Academy of Pediatrics=LIBERAL. In FL where they prevent the question from being asked does NOT prohibit them from having brochures or other factual material in their doctor office. I don't want my doctor telling me what to do with my firearms as much as I want a firearms expert giving me a physical.
    Bingo. I am in 100% agreement with you.

I was asked at my physical today: are you familiar with the safety features and proper storage of all firearms you own?

Funny thing is, answering "yes" doesn't indicate you own any firearms.
    Call for a cop, call for an ambulance, and call for a pizza. See who shows up first.

I am not a lawyer (merely an omnipotent member of a continuum). The contents of this post are not a substitute for sound legal advice from a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction.

Comments and views stated in my post are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of Michigan Open Carry, Inc. unless stated otherwise in the post.

I OC in my doctors office....... N as soon as your kids get old enough to realize what a gun is, take them out to the range with a nice single shot .22 with mine it was at about age 5.

Banned
    I OC at my doctors as well, same with the chiropractor.

My kid was 6 when she first shot a gun. Sometimes I'll call her my little 6 shooter.

Going to the doctors and being treated is far more dangerous. Medical 'accidents', prescription errors, and giving vaccines with sketchy side effects. Doctor, heal thyself.

They can't do ANYTHING nor are they trained to tell you how to make your firearms safer. All they can do is report you. I say tell them nothing.

$.02
    A gun in a holster is better than one drawn and dispensing bullets. Concealed forces the latter. - ixtow

Hi, I'm hypercritical. But I mean no harm, I just like to try to look deeply at life

Fictitious scenario.................

Doc asks:

"Do you own any guns?"

My reply:

"That is an inappropriate question. Shall we move on?"

Doc says:

"But I have to ask."

My reply:

"You asked. Shall we move on?"

I've not been asked that question yet... nor will I answer it if asked.
    Gun control isn't about the gun at all.... for those who want gun control it is all about their own fragile egos, their own lack of self esteem, their own inner fears, and most importantly... their own desire to dominate others. And an openly carried gun is a slap in the face to all of those things.

Quote Originally Posted by Bikenut View Post
    Fictitious scenario.................

Doc asks:

"Do you own any guns?"

My reply:

"That is an inappropriate question. Shall we move on?"

Doc says:

"But I have to ask."

My reply:

"You asked. Shall we move on?"

I've not been asked that question yet... nor will I answer it if asked.
    That was basically what i did the first time.

doc- any guns?

me- we don't answer that question

doc- well, you're not the first ones to answer that way. the only reason i ask is, if you have any guns they need to be stored locked up, separate form any ammo. that's the only reason we ask, i don't care if you have guns.

Now at the most recent visit was her just reading her info to us, then when she got to the point where she asked about the guns last time she just said-

"if you have any guns they need to be stored locked up, separate form any ammo. they told me i'm not allowed to ask that question anymore."

I wondered who the "they" are, but i just wanted to get out of there so i let it be.

Why the hell would anyone store an SD gun with the ammo separate?
    Call for a cop, call for an ambulance, and call for a pizza. See who shows up first.

I am not a lawyer (merely an omnipotent member of a continuum). The contents of this post are not a substitute for sound legal advice from a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction.

Comments and views stated in my post are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of Michigan Open Carry, Inc. unless stated otherwise in the post.

Quote Originally Posted by TheQ View Post
    Why the hell would anyone store an SD gun with the ammo separate?
    that was a debate i was interested in having, but with a pediatrician who went to wayne state and was obviously an anti, i decided to save my breath and just get the visit over with.

Just ask them if they are 'qualified' to provide 'basic' firearms safety info. Then after they give you some form of sheepish 'yes', say thats great, I've been wanting to ask an 'expert' a few things...

...so Doc which trigger mechanism do you recommend? SAO or DAO and why? (watch perplexed look on their face)

...so how do I deal with a suspected squib round when at the range? (ditto)

...what steps should my daughter take, other than removing the magazine, to absolutely ensure that a semi-auto pistol is completely unloaded?

;-)

Be sure to invite your doctor to the range after your done!
    Last edited by OC4me; 11-16-2011 at 12:44 PM.

Though one could say 'we don't answer', I'd have more fun messing with the doctor.

'Do you have any guns in the home'

Me: "have you ever stolen or taken illicit drugs during your medical school education, or prescribed a patient wrong medicine or dosage causing injury or death?"

'That's personal...'

Me: "Oh, so you have. I guess I could contact the AMA now, btw, what was that gun question?"

'Never mind, we'll skip that question'.
    A gun in a holster is better than one drawn and dispensing bullets. Concealed forces the latter. - ixtow

Hi, I'm hypercritical. But I mean no harm, I just like to try to look deeply at life

Quote Originally Posted by detroit_fan View Post
    That was basically what i did the first time.

doc- any guns?

me- we don't answer that question

doc- well, you're not the first ones to answer that way. the only reason i ask is, if you have any guns they need to be stored locked up, separate form any ammo. that's the only reason we ask, i don't care if you have guns.

Now at the most recent visit was her just reading her info to us, then when she got to the point where she asked about the guns last time she just said-

"if you have any guns they need to be stored locked up, separate form any ammo. they told me i'm not allowed to ask that question anymore."

I wondered who the "they" are, but i just wanted to get out of there so i let it be.
    If my Doc said that I'd ask him if, since he is suddenly an expert on gun/ammo storage, I can start diagnosing patients?
    Gun control isn't about the gun at all.... for those who want gun control it is all about their own fragile egos, their own lack of self esteem, their own inner fears, and most importantly... their own desire to dominate others. And an openly carried gun is a slap in the face to all of those things.

Quote Originally Posted by detroit_fan's doctor View Post
    "if you have any guns they need to be stored locked up, separate form any ammo."
    Does MI have a safe storage law? If not then no, in fact, the guns do not NEED to be locked up and separate from the ammo.

Bronson
    Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. Thomas Paine

I OC at my Doctor and my Dentist office...no other way to fly.

Quote Originally Posted by scot623 View Post
    I OC at my Doctor and my Dentist office...no other way to fly.
    Same here. It was kind of funny. He kept both nurses in the examination room once he saw the gun. When one of them tried to leave he was like, "no, stay here" and she had this look of ??? on her face.

My Dr has never once in 20 years asked me about guns.

He recently learned I had a gun (had to be seen for an ear injury from not having enough protection on the ears ) all he said was wear more protection and that he usually goes to the range once or twice a year, but never shoots as many rounds as I normally do....

If a Dr. asked me if I had guns in my house I'd ask if he stored cash in his house.

Plain and simple, no one needs to know what valuables I have in my house. Dr's have been known to to be criminals afterall.

Quote Originally Posted by dragongtr View Post
    My Dr has never once in 20 years asked me about guns.

He recently learned I had a gun (had to be seen for an ear injury from not having enough protection on the ears ) all he said was wear more protection and that he usually goes to the range once or twice a year, but never shoots as many rounds as I normally do....

If a Dr. asked me if I had guns in my house I'd ask if he stored cash in his house.

Plain and simple, no one needs to know what valuables I have in my house. Dr's have been known to to be criminals afterall.
    My physician asks me about guns every time I go: have I been shooting much, any new guns, if I still OC all the time, etc? He is a CPL holder, shoots IDPA, and hunts, ..(he's not against OC; doesn't personally care for it, though) so there is always something to talk about. In fact, over 90% of my last checkup consisted of "gun talk". I think the med student with him was a little freaked out, though. lol
    Last edited by DrTodd; 11-20-2011 at 01:42 PM.
    Giving up our liberties for safety is the one sure way to let the violent among us win.

"Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." -Saint Augustine

Disclaimer I am not a lawyer! Please do not consider anything you read from me to be legal advice.