• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Doctor asking about guns

detroit_fan

19 months ago when we took our daughter in for her first check up they asked if we had guns in our house as part of the list of things they ask for first visit. I refused to answer at that time and the doctor replied that I was not the first to do so.

Today I took our newborn to the same place and when going over the questions again the doctor said she was not allowed to ask the gun question anymore. I know Florida recently passed a law to prevent doctors from asking but I didn't remember hearing anything here in MI. Has there been any recent legislation about this?

rvd4now

19 months ago when we took our daughter in for her first check up they asked if we had guns in our house as part of the list of things they ask for first visit. I refused to answer at that time and the doctor replied that I was not the first to do so.

Today I took our newborn to the same place and when going over the questions again the doctor said she was not allowed to ask the gun question anymore. I know Florida recently passed a law to prevent doctors from asking but I didn't remember hearing anything here in MI. Has there been any recent legislation about this?

i wonder why that asked that question

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
i wonder why that asked that question

They frame it as a safety issue.

"The implication of this bill is that the government sits by my side when I'm talking with patients and is capable of interfering with the patient-physician relationship," said Robert W. Block, MD, a pediatrician in Tulsa, Okla., and an alternate delegate who spoke on behalf of the American Academy of Pediatrics. "It's important to know of potential dangers to children. This is not a gun issue. This is the same issue as somebody who was a pool manufacturer saying we couldn't ask about swimming pools in my office."

http://www.ama-assn.org/amednews/2011/07/04/prsh0704.htm

I don't think they should be asking about anything that does not directly relate to my medical care. They certainly shouldn't be able to refuse medical attention for refusing to answer their questions.

Last edited:

xmanhockey7

They frame it as a safety issue.

"The implication of this bill is that the government sits by my side when I'm talking with patients and is capable of interfering with the patient-physician relationship," said Robert W. Block, MD, a pediatrician in Tulsa, Okla., and an alternate delegate who spoke on behalf of the American Academy of Pediatrics. "It's important to know of potential dangers to children. This is not a gun issue. This is the same issue as somebody who was a pool manufacturer saying we couldn't ask about swimming pools in my office."

http://www.ama-assn.org/amednews/2011/07/04/prsh0704.htm

I don't they should be asking about anything that does not directly relate to my medical care.

American Academy of Pediatrics=LIBERAL. In FL where they prevent the question from being asked does NOT prohibit them from having brochures or other factual material in their doctor office. I don't want my doctor telling me what to do with my firearms as much as I want a firearms expert giving me a physical.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
American Academy of Pediatrics=LIBERAL. In FL where they prevent the question from being asked does NOT prohibit them from having brochures or other factual material in their doctor office. I don't want my doctor telling me what to do with my firearms as much as I want a firearms expert giving me a physical.

Bingo. I am in 100% agreement with you.

TheQ

I was asked at my physical today: are you familiar with the safety features and proper storage of all firearms you own?

Funny thing is, answering "yes" doesn't indicate you own any firearms.

Sheldon

I OC in my doctors office....... N as soon as your kids get old enough to realize what a gun is, take them out to the range with a nice single shot .22 with mine it was at about age 5.

Badger Johnson

Going to the doctors and being treated is far more dangerous. Medical 'accidents', prescription errors, and giving vaccines with sketchy side effects. Doctor, heal thyself.

They can't do ANYTHING nor are they trained to tell you how to make your firearms safer. All they can do is report you. I say tell them nothing.

$.02

B

Bikenut

Fictitious scenario.................

Doc asks:

"Do you own any guns?"

My reply:

"That is an inappropriate question. Shall we move on?"

Doc says:

"But I have to ask."

My reply:

"You asked. Shall we move on?"

I've not been asked that question yet... nor will I answer it if asked.

detroit_fan

Fictitious scenario.................

Doc asks:

"Do you own any guns?"

My reply:

"That is an inappropriate question. Shall we move on?"

Doc says:

"But I have to ask."

My reply:

"You asked. Shall we move on?"

I've not been asked that question yet... nor will I answer it if asked.

That was basically what i did the first time.

doc- any guns?

me- we don't answer that question

doc- well, you're not the first ones to answer that way. the only reason i ask is, if you have any guns they need to be stored locked up, separate form any ammo. that's the only reason we ask, i don't care if you have guns.

Now at the most recent visit was her just reading her info to us, then when she got to the point where she asked about the guns last time she just said-

"if you have any guns they need to be stored locked up, separate form any ammo. they told me i'm not allowed to ask that question anymore."

I wondered who the "they" are, but i just wanted to get out of there so i let it be.

OC4me

Just ask them if they are 'qualified' to provide 'basic' firearms safety info. Then after they give you some form of sheepish 'yes', say thats great, I've been wanting to ask an 'expert' a few things...

...so Doc which trigger mechanism do you recommend? SAO or DAO and why? (watch perplexed look on their face)

...so how do I deal with a suspected squib round when at the range? (ditto)

...what steps should my daughter take, other than removing the magazine, to absolutely ensure that a semi-auto pistol is completely unloaded?

;-)

Be sure to invite your doctor to the range after your done!

Last edited:

Badger Johnson

Though one could say 'we don't answer', I'd have more fun messing with the doctor.

'Do you have any guns in the home'

Me: "have you ever stolen or taken illicit drugs during your medical school education, or prescribed a patient wrong medicine or dosage causing injury or death?"

'That's personal...'

Me: "Oh, so you have. I guess I could contact the AMA now, btw, what was that gun question?"

'Never mind, we'll skip that question'.

B

Bikenut

That was basically what i did the first time.

doc- any guns?

me- we don't answer that question

doc- well, you're not the first ones to answer that way. the only reason i ask is, if you have any guns they need to be stored locked up, separate form any ammo. that's the only reason we ask, i don't care if you have guns.

Now at the most recent visit was her just reading her info to us, then when she got to the point where she asked about the guns last time she just said-

"if you have any guns they need to be stored locked up, separate form any ammo. they told me i'm not allowed to ask that question anymore."

I wondered who the "they" are, but i just wanted to get out of there so i let it be.

If my Doc said that I'd ask him if, since he is suddenly an expert on gun/ammo storage, I can start diagnosing patients?

kubel

I OC at my Doctor and my Dentist office...no other way to fly.

Same here. It was kind of funny. He kept both nurses in the examination room once he saw the gun. When one of them tried to leave he was like, "no, stay here" and she had this look of ??? on her face.