• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

defense fund for determining OC in a car is legal

MKEgal

(At the direction of Grapeshot, I'm cross-posting this in the "hot topics" & WI fora.)

Many people have been following the thread in the WI forum about my... interaction... with Milwaukee PD this past Friday.

I am completely amazed & overwhelmed by the support.
The friends I didn't know I had, & the lengths to which they (& people I've never met!) tried to go to help me.
Where's the "sniffling w/ a kleenex" smiley?

Many people want to help w/ legal & other expenses, so I made this email & linked it to my PayPal account. Feel free to circulate it:

or mkegal.legal AT yahoo.com

So far there's about $700 donated, the vast majority of which is in the range of $10-$25 per person...
(one box of ammo); some can give more, some less, all is appreciated.

I borrowed $500 to give my lawyer today, owe another $1000 by the end of the week, & the rest next week. (Plus repaying Dave for getting my car out of the pokie today, just under $200.)

If they decide to charge ccw, I will be the test case :mad: & her fees will increase.
She's being extremely generous by allowing me to pay most of it after she's actually started working on the case, as well as quoting sort of a "package price" to handle what's happened so far.
(Barring further charges... the DA hasn't decided on that yet; will know later this week.)

Mastantuono Law is one of the most experienced firms in re dealing with WI firearms laws.

Here are 2 identical articles on the incident... comments are sure to get you riled.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

msteinhilber

Hope all works out in your favor, sounds like you're in good hands with your attorney and you have a strong backing here that can hopefully help assist with legal expenses. Kicked a couple bucks your way, things are tight for me but this is certainly a worthy cause to help out someone such as yourself that has been a warrior for our 2A rights.

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member
Money used for protecting our rights........

....and helping our friends is money well spent. Even internet friends....Some day maybe I'll even have the chance to meet you in person LOL.

Sent you my current ammo fund!

Good luck MKEgal.

MKEgal

Brass Magnet said:
Some day maybe I'll even have the chance to meet you in person
:D I assure you I'm not 7' tall w/ crepuscular rays streaming from behind my head...
Just a more or less average person who doesn't take well to being treated badly.
I think that describes many people here.

Sent you my current ammo fund!
Wow. Thank you.

Thank you to everyone who's donated so far.
I do plan to send individual thank-you emails, but right now am trying to juggle while running on a treadmill, singing O Suzanna, & calculating square roots in my head.
(How's that for a mental image? Only thing better would be if I mentioned a specific mode of dress.)

Last edited:

MKEgal

Brass Magnet said:
Hardly worth a "wow" but I'll take what I can get. :)
It's not necessarily the amount, but the spirit.
I appreciate the thought & intent behind every bit of help, $ & otherwise.
Yes, there have been some $100 gifts that truly surprised me, but I understand that most people can't do that. I'm serious about the "one box of ammo" thing.

Oh, and thanks for the new word... *c-r-e-p-u-s-c-u-l-a-r* hmmm..
Pardon, my vocabulary is showing. :rolleyes:
Added a link to Wikipedia w/ explanations & pictures.

Last edited:
M

McX

the articles cited seem to want to show sitting in a car in an empty parkinglot, in the early morning hours, tapping on a computer while armed is something odd. i think it would be odd for someone to be sitting anywhere in the early morning hours UNARMED!

oak1971

:D I assure you I'm not 7' tall w/ crepuscular rays streaming from behind my head...
Just a more or less average person who doesn't take well to being treated badly.
I think that describes many people here.

Wow. Thank you.

Thank you to everyone who's donated so far.
I do plan to send individual thank-you emails, but right now am trying to juggle while running on a treadmill, singing O Suzanna, & calculating square roots in my head.
(How's that for a mental image? Only thing better would be if I mentioned a specific mode of dress.)

Closer to 6 ft tall IIRC. :)

M

McX

Did what we could for MKE at the shop today; parts at cost, no labor charge. the best we can do right now.

(the rest of you dont get any ideas!)

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Did what we could for MKE at the shop today; parts at cost, no labor charge. the best we can do right now.

(the rest of you dont get any ideas!)

Very good!

Actually this does give me ideas. :D

What other goods and/or services are there out there that might directly benefit her? Not all donations need to be in cash, although such is an immediate need.

kc9sbd

She was charged with 941.23?

MKEGal has been charged with a 941.23(2) violation.

http://wcca.wicourts.gov/caseDetails...w+Case+Details

This is kind of funny seeing how the person i talked to at the Wisconsin department of justice this morning told me that 941.23 was a void law due to act 35 being in place. So this is my question, why are they able to charge her with this?

Also, according to the doj that if a person has a firearm on their side while sitting in a car and does not have a CWL their firearm is concealed. Now, if it is on the seat next to the person in plain view, it is not concealed.

My thoughts and prayers go out to MKEgal. Hope all goes well for you.

davegran

Cassville Area -Twelve Miles From Anything, Wiscon
MKEGal has been charged with a 941.23(2) violation.

http://wcca.wicourts.gov/caseDetails...w+Case+Details
Well, here we go.... Just asking, but doesn't 941.23 (2) (e) apply as a defense?
941.23 (2)
(e) An individual who carries a concealed and dangerous
weapon, as defined in s. 175.60 (1) (j), in his or her own dwelling
or place of business or on land that he or she owns, leases, or
legally occupies.
Since she had the shop owner's permission to be there, wasn't she legally occupying the land?

H

Herr Heckler Koch

This is kind of funny seeing how the person i talked to at the Wisconsin department of justice this morning told me that 941.23 was a void law due to act 35 being in place.
Wisconsin 2011 Act 35 Sections 50 through 72 renumbered and rewrote Subsection 941.23.

Like a legal citation, a citation to an authority is useless - moot - without its name. Argument from authority implies the personal attack that the opponent is unfit for the authority's special knowledge.