• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

defense fund for determining OC in a car is legal

MKEgal

First off, thank you to everyone who has donated toward paying my lawyer.
I'm still several thousand dollars from what's needed, but about half of her fee is paid.
We keep hoping that NRA or another civil rights group will step in to help.

Secondly, I've heard from several people that reporters are PMing or emailing or in some cases even calling to ask for opinions about this case.

I cannot control what any of you do,
but if you choose to respond to reporters I would appreciate it very much if you stuck to the obvious things like "innocent until proven guilty".

Or just point them to my lawyer: Mastantuono Law 414-276-8662

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
First off, thank you to everyone who has donated toward paying my lawyer.
I'm still several thousand dollars from what's needed, but about half of her fee is paid.
We keep hoping that NRA or another civil rights group will step in to help.

Secondly, I've heard from several people that reporters are PMing or emailing or in some cases even calling to ask for opinions about this case.

I cannot control what any of you do,
but if you choose to respond to reporters I would appreciate it very much if you stuck to the obvious things like "innocent until proven guilty".

Or just point them to my lawyer: Mastantuono Law 414-276-8662

Nothing will be gained by discussing an active case with the media - they have the same information that we have from this site. I will NOT speculate, I will NOT give an opinion.

I will refer all specific questions about this case to your attorney and ONLY your attorney.

MKEgal fund

Baked on Grease

I just had an idea. I am reading a good book by Massad Ayoob, "IN THE GRAVEST EXTREME". Now this book is only bout 130 pages and in paperback and is about "the role of the firearm in personal protection".
I would like to "lease" this book out to anyone who would like to read it for a contribution of $10 to MKEgal defense fund. This lease would be for about 2 wks and then the reader would ship it to the next person on the list who would also make a contribution for the same amount to the defense fund. This book is out of print so try to keep it in good shape and lets see if it can generate some good other then the knowledge within. If we get to the end of the list I would like the book returned to me. Shipping is about $3.00 so you would have about $13.00 invested in a great book and some goodwill for a friend. Ok, who wants to be first, I will keep the list in my PMs and that way I can keep track of who has the book. I am open to any ideas on how to make this better or more user friendly. Another idea, write your name in the front pages and when the list is done I will give it to MKEgal if she would like. Thanks

That's a GREAT idea! Especially, I like signing your name (and user name too?) for her to see when she gets the book. I've heard good things about Ayoob, but haven't gotten my hands on his work yet. One issue is how to keep the adresses of the people involved from becoming public somehow... Call me paranoid... I'll PM you...

Sent using tapatalk

WCrawford

Nothing will be gained by discussing an active case with the media - they have the same information that we have from this site. I will NOT speculate, I will NOT give an opinion.

I will refer all specific questions about this case to your attorney and ONLY your attorney.

MKEgal fund

The PM I received just asked about why I donated to the cause, especially since I'm not from Wisconsin.

I did reply. I basically stated that even though I have never met MKEgal, I consider her family, in spirit. I may not have much to donate (and I wish I had been able to help out Skidmark). I will donate what I can to help (and just donated another $10).

MKEgal

Baked on Grease said:
I like signing your name (and user name too?) for her to see when she gets the book.
+1 to both names
It's not a large book... what happens when the inside covers get filled?
Start writing on the top & bottom margins of each page? :lol:
Then work through the outer margins...

One issue is how to keep the adresses of the people involved from becoming public somehow.
I won't tell.
And if I ever do get that book, with all the names of people who helped me, I'll sell my copy & put the signed one in the safe.

MKEgal

WCrawford said:
monikaj08
She left me an email address, and Wisconsin phone number, and the name of her organization (Media Milwaukee). It appears to be a Student (UW) reporting.
Interesting... she's not showing up as a member now. Apparently just made an account to come bother people. :mad:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
monikaj08

She left me an email address, and Wisconsin phone number, and the name of her organization (Media Milwaukee). It appears to be a Student (UW) reporting.

That's very interesting because I am privy to correspondence under her name wherein she states that she is NOT associated with any organization and is doing this only for herself and to help the people of Wisconsin understand the laws better - not a quote, but close. Even said that she wants to be an investigative reporter someday.

I cry FOUL! Think there might be some explaining due - Maybe we are being played - ya think?

I guess this means I won't be getting a PM with questions on this situation.

WCrawford

That's very interesting because I am privy to correspondence under her name wherein she states that she is NOT associated with any organization and is doing this only for herself and to help the people of Wisconsin understand the laws better - not a quote, but close. Even said that she wants to be an investigative reporter someday.

I cry FOUL! Think there might be some explaining due - Maybe we are being played - ya think?

I guess this means I won't be getting a PM with questions on this situation.

Well, I checked the website for Media Milwaukee and found articled attributed to her. I also called the phone number and the voicemail had her name on it (love the lack of long distance with cell phones).

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
She's got to be a journalism student because there are so many problems with what she's trying to do.

Yes, I got correspondence from her, and it did not come through OCDO. Let's just say that corresponding with a wannabe reportologist is not my cup of tea. At least she seems to understand that she's not going to get anything incriminating from here. Maybe she might even learn how to actually investigate, as opposed to look for data that supports her preconceived notions.

stay safe.

MKEgal

Slight modification to earlier directions...:
Send checks to the law firm, check made out to them, noting that it's for my expenses.
The ones that were waiting for me when I went for our meeting today got signed over to them right away.
[And the $111.11 amount had her puzzled, 'til I pointed out the date I was arrested: 11NOV.] :D

Mastantuono Law Office
Krysta Sutterfield defense fund
817 N Marshall St.
Milwaukee, WI
http://www.mastantuono-law.com

And a slight modification to the amount still needed:
me said:
Since charges have been filed, [my lawyer] wants more. Reasonable.
I'll be talking with her Thursday, but IIRC it's going to be another $2500-3000.
Well, I completely misunderstood what she'd said about the rest of the fee...
It's going to be slightly over $6000 more, after the payment I made today & the checks that came to her office that I signed over to her.
That's supposed to cover everything through the end of the trial.

Please keep spreading the link Grapeshot has posted & that's in my sig,
and please contact any 2A / civil rights group you can think of that might agree to help.
Rebecca has been in touch with some people at the NRA; I think that such a large organization won't be able to move quickly. Probably good that they know people are watching this case & want the NRA to get involved, but please stay civil.

msteinhilber

monikaj08

Same, I promptly ignored her - none of her business and nothing good would come of sharing anything with her anyways.

MKEgal

At the Delavan Starbuck's today, several people gave me donations...
Some of them were very generous. :eek:
Most I didn't look at as I got them, so [with one exception] I don't know who gave what, & I want to keep it that way.

I am overwhelmed by the support I've been given, and hope that some day I'll be able to help at least one person in turn. But for now, I have to keep begging.

Please spread the donation link, &/or find info on civil rights groups that might help & send it my way.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
A reminder bump so that no one needs to go looking for this.

Here is the donate button as a direct link. MKEgal defense fund:

thieltech

are we still doing the rent-a-book ? id be intrested and willing to donate more ... i like good reading books :p

hawgasm

donation sent via paypal link in your signature. i wish i could have given more, but i have been unemployed since june 2010. (thanks obama)

markmopar

I dropped in some couch change. If I find anymore in the washing machine/dryer or in my tool box, I'll send it along! :cool:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Appreciate the response to this - funds are beginning to accumulate, still need keep the ball rolling. :D

Here is the donate button as a direct link. MKEgal defense fund:

MKEgal

Good news / bad news.
good:
1) The obstructing charge was apparently never actually filed, or at least it's been dropped.
(I have paperwork dated 05DEC telling me to appear in court for that charge, so I guess it was dropped after that.)

bad:
2) They're still wanting to persecute on the loitering charge, based in part on the lie that I was concealing my pistol. (Also on the old case law saying that in a car = concealed.)

And of course
3) There's still the ccw charge, again based in part on that same lie. (See above.)

I'd add #4) Still hunting for funds to pay the lawyer.
This affects both 2 & 3, since #2 might have to go to trial, which will be expensive, though not as much as #3.
(That is, if i want truth & justice... I could pay a fine, admit to something I didn't do & let them get away with it... & put another strike against oc in a car.)

We've been put in touch with a couple national civil-rights / 2A-rights organizations (thank you!), but they move slowly.
So far ALL my support has come from private citizens, and I am VERY very grateful for everything that's been given. Last I did a tally, there's about $5000 remaining on the bill, & I'm teaching a class next week so should be able to pay some more toward it.

Rebecca is being very flexible with allowing me to pay her as I get money, and also recognizing that I still have to pay regular bills... losing the house or car or heat would be bad.

Please continue spreading the PayPal link to anyone who might be able & willing to help.
Also, for those in the greater Milwaukee, WI area, spread the word about my in-home training for a carry license. Much as I appreciate all the help I've been given, it feels better to earn my money.