• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Lexington, KY Open Carry

breakingbad

Hello everyone,

First off, I would like to introduce myself. My name is Thomas Logan and I am a brand new member here at OC.org! I have lived in Lexington, KY all my life and just recently turned of age to open carry a pistol. Yesterday, I went to my local firearms dealer and purchased a KelTec PF9 and plan on open carrying from now on out.

The question I have for this community is: Have you guy's and gal's ever had any issues with open carry in Lexington? I'm worried I may be stopped by the LPD for carrying my firearm.

Thanks!

breakingbad

You could be stopped for carrying a firearm. You could also be stopped for wearing a red shirt. One is as legal as the other and should be worried about on the same level. If you worry about what "might" happen the things that are available for concern is endless. Just know the law and carry on

What part of Lexington do you live? Do you open carry often?

breakingbad

I don't live in Lexington, but the law is the same there as any other place in KY. OC is legal in Lexington. I have OC'ed all over the state, including Lexington, for over 40 years. You should read through the Ky. forum. There are several members here who do live in Lexington and their experiences are available there. You may encounter some hostility to OC from a few people, but there are some who are hostile to almost any activity. Just know the law and carry according to it. If you are afraid you might offend someone, you shouldn't carry at all.

I'm not afraid whatsoever. I'm just curious to know the department's stand on OC. I know the law in Lexington is the same as the rest of the state. Thanks for making that point clear.. Have you ever been stopped? Did you present anything to them (id, firearm)?

hermannr

40+ years of experience says this: Absolutely Do NOT be a nervous Nelly (always checking your weapon), if you feel the need to check your weapon, use your elbow not your hand.

DO use a top rate holster with good retention..and guess what...no one will notice.

KYGlockster

Activist Member
If you went to a federal licensed firearms dealer to purchase your handgun then you didn't just turn of age to carry openly, youve been of age for 3 years. You can OC at the age of 18, you just cant buy a handgun from an ffl, or carry concealed until your 21, however you could have bought one from anyone that was privately selling such a gun. Ky is very friendly to gun owners and carriers, just remember that federal buildings and certain federal properties, any k-12 school property, courthouses that house only the court of justice, detention facilities, and certain preschool and childcare facilities are off limits. You can carry at every other location within the commonwealth. However, always check on everything you read on here for yourself. Welcome to the forum and enjoy.