• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Is it really worth having your CCW on a seperate ID from your driver's license?

Firedawg314

Well, today I got pulled over. Not for speeding, but the fact my front licnse plate wasn't on. Well, the cop was cool, didn't act mean or anything. He asked for my license and I showed it to him... he came back to give my ID back and stated that I needed my front plate on. Then he asked me what I carry? I told him a Tauras PT 638 PRO .380cal. And we got into a good disucssion of firearms etc. He let me know, that in this state, your CCW will come up when they run your driver's license. So... really, what's the point to have it on a different I.D.?

MilProGuy

That's a good question.

I've often wondered why Mississippi has two separate IDs in that regard.

The only thing I can figure is that not everybody who carries necessarily drives a vehicle; so there would be a need for the CC permit even if the person didn't have a driver's license.

Also, if you went for a walk you would not need your driver's license, but would need your carry permit.

Last edited:

Firedawg314

That's a good question.

I've often wondered why Mississippi has two separate IDs in that regard.

The only thing I can figure is that not everybody who carries necessarily drives a vehicle. Also, if you went for a walk you would not need your driver's license, but would need your carry permit.

From what I heard, that Missouri did not make it known to LEO's of your CCW unless you place it on your driver's l.D. Now, its all in the system. It doesn't matter if you make a seperate I.D. or not. What I did discovered here... that renewal time for a driver's license... if you are born on a even year, its every 6 years. If you where born on a odd year, its ever 4 years. and of course CCW's are ever 3 years. I think its just another way to earn more money for the state.

SO, when I got my CCW and I had it on a different I.D.... I still paid $5. and in a few years I will pay $11 to renew my license. So basically for me, Every 3 years I'm renewing something.

LMTD

Accomplished Advocate
It makes no difference at all where law enforcement is concerned, the record is in MULES which is always going to report it back to them, pretty much if they just run your name.

I concept behind a separate ID has nothing to do with preventing the police from knowing.

1. In Missouri, your license can be taken in lieu of bond, St Louis is real good for this, ask me how I know later.
2. Use of Drivers license as identification at the airport, prevents the TSA from treating you extra special.

If the goal is to prevent police from knowing, you would have to have an OOS permit. On that note, you would then be subject to the GFSZ bull crap, though it is fairly unlikely to experience it.

Another option rarely discussed is to have it on BOTH an ID and drivers card kept in separate locations ie two wallets. One gets lost you still have other.

Since the beginning of CCW in mo there has been much debate over the issue, the reality is, in general, the police treat CCW wit respect and Courtney, open carry is a totally different set of rules :)

Firedawg314

It makes no difference at all where law enforcement is concerned, the record is in MULES which is always going to report it back to them, pretty much if they just run your name.

I concept behind a separate ID has nothing to do with preventing the police from knowing.

1. In Missouri, your license can be taken in lieu of bond, St Louis is real good for this, ask me how I know later.
2. Use of Drivers license as identification at the airport, prevents the TSA from treating you extra special.

If the goal is to prevent police from knowing, you would have to have an OOS permit. On that note, you would then be subject to the GFSZ bull crap, though it is fairly unlikely to experience it.

Another option rarely discussed is to have it on BOTH an ID and drivers card kept in separate locations ie two wallets. One gets lost you still have other.

Since the beginning of CCW in mo there has been much debate over the issue, the reality is, in general, the police treat CCW wit respect and Courtney, open carry is a totally different set of rules :)

THAT IS SOME GOOD INFO! Thanks the picture is much clear now.

Redbaron007

Well, today I got pulled over. Not for speeding, but the fact my front licnse plate wasn't on. Well, the cop was cool, didn't act mean or anything. He asked for my license and I showed it to him... he came back to give my ID back and stated that I needed my front plate on. Then he asked me what I carry? I told him a Tauras PT 638 PRO .380cal. And we got into a good disucssion of firearms etc. He let me know, that in this state, your CCW will come up when they run your driver's license. So... really, what's the point to have it on a different I.D.?

Having it on another approved ID, it keeps you from having to update your license ID every 3 years. Or, if your drivers license is confiscated, you still have the ID for your CCW.

Since a person in MO is listed in MULES, I too don't see why we have to have the endorsement on an ID either; other than for maybe other states(?). Also, the state regs say we have to show our endoresment to a peace officer at their request: ;)
571.121. 1. Any person issued a concealed carry endorsement pursuant to sections 571.101 to 571.121 shall carry the concealed carry endorsement at all times the person is carrying a concealed firearm and shall display the concealed carry endorsement upon the request of any peace officer. Failure to comply with this subsection shall not be a criminal offense but the concealed carry endorsement holder may be issued a citation for an amount not to exceed thirty- five dollars.

Richieg150

The only way a LEO would know if you had a CCW, if not on your license ID, would be if they ran it in their system. You could be asked for your D license,by LEO for any number of reasons, but unless they ran your ID, they wouldnt know of your CCW permit, which may or may not change the way you are treated. I have been stopped a couple of times, asked for my license which doesnt have the ccw endorsement on it, and unless it was ran, never a mention of my CCW or weapon.I chose not to have mine on my D license because, if asked to show my license for ID, I didnt feel like the person asking for my ID should know that irrelivent information.

OH REALLY..............the police treat CCW with respect and courteousy.......I dont think so..

Some do though. The little burg I live in out in the sticks the PD all treat me with respect and courteously and I return the favor. I come and go as I please at the PD fully armed and have the chief's blessing on doing so.

Oramac

LMTD said it right. Having your CCW separate from your DL means that you don't have to tell non-LEO's about your CCW.

Banks, airports, bars, etc. Anything that checks your ID. Most of them you don't want knowing you have a CCW, even if you are not carrying when you present your ID (like at the airport for a flight).

LMTD

Accomplished Advocate
OH REALLY..............the police treat CCW with respect and courteousy.......I dont think so..

I suppose you missed the part where it says "in general" and without any regard for your opinion what so ever, that has been the experience of the vast majority of the folks I know and the feed back they have given me. Considering my activities within the gun community, I would offer it holds merit to many.

Now if your own experience has been different, by all means, express yourself as you see fit, if your goal was to pick a fuss, I have neither the time or the desire despite my usual willing expressions in such matters.

You gotta tell me though, you REALLY did not pick a fuss with me did you? You know I can be such a jackass over such things!

KBCraig

While your CCW might show up in the Missouri system when they run your DL, it won't show up in other states where you might get stopped. If you're also carrying in a reciprocal state, you'll want the piece of plastic in your wallet that proves you're legal.

peterarthur

LMTD said it right. Having your CCW separate from your DL means that you don't have to tell non-LEO's about your CCW.

Banks, airports, bars, etc. Anything that checks your ID. Most of them you don't want knowing you have a CCW, even if you are not carrying when you present your ID (like at the airport for a flight).

Since I OC at all of my banks, it would not matter :)

Oramac

Since I OC at all of my banks, it would not matter :)

True enough. I work at a bank (CC, not OC), and I personally love seeing people OC, or occasionally use their CCW for an ID. But in general people may freak out about it.

On a different note, would you mind OCing into the bank I work at once? I'd like to get my coworkers more used to it so eventually I could do it.

EDIT: your sig made me seriously laugh out loud!

Last edited: