• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Firearms instructor courses

renoglock22

I was interested in becoming a certified firearms instructor so that I can help teach people more about safety and stuff like that. All I have found online is NRA courses that are expensive as hell and none that close to here. Does anyone know how to become a certified instructor in Nevada outside of the NRA? If not instructor courses then at least some good training courses. I am good with guns but the more I can know the better.

PaDutchin Nv

Sounds like you've got some good intentions. I personally don't support the NRA, they endorse an activity I disagree with. But that's my issue. Have you checked with the indoor range there in Reno? If I remember correctly, they are off McCarran east of the airport-if they're still there. It was years ago after I had first moved to NV. I seem to recall that they offered instruction to the public and gun rentals as well. Shooting orgs like that might be a good place to get started. Best of luck.

renoglock22

Sounds like you've got some good intentions. I personally don't support the NRA, they endorse an activity I disagree with. But that's my issue. Have you checked with the indoor range there in Reno? If I remember correctly, they are off McCarran east of the airport-if they're still there. It was years ago after I had first moved to NV. I seem to recall that they offered instruction to the public and gun rentals as well. Shooting orgs like that might be a good place to get started. Best of luck.

I will look into the ranges around here. I never liked the indoor range here. It seems kind of weird that a place that sells and rents firearms has so many restrictions on carrying in their facility. I have noticed with them and some other gun stores in the area that they have the police mentality of why do YOU need to carry. I will look at the ranges though, thank you, I didn't think to check with them.

chrsjhnsn

I've hear stillwaters gun club in Fallon does a great job, that indoor range east of the airport closed a long time ago-there is a new one but you must buy their ammo & its quite expensive.

The NRA is awesome, if you really care about gun rights that is.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
I was interested in becoming a certified firearms instructor so that I can help teach people more about safety and stuff like that. All I have found online is NRA courses that are expensive as hell and none that close to here. ...

Realize that if you want to teach NV CCW courses, the Sheriffs and Chiefs Assn is now requiring the equivalent of the NRA Personal Protection Outside the Home instructor course. I know of no way to do this significantly less expensively than through the NRA. Being NRA-certified is also a very good label for yourself whether other training is equivalent or even superior.

What do you define as "expensive as hell?" The NRA does not dictate course fees to its certified instructors, including its training counselors that teach the instructor courses. Many of the instructors do not advertise scheduled classes on the NRA site. Many instructors don't even schedule classes, but just do them upon request.

Ask around locally and find some training counselors that do the instructor courses. Only when you get the PPOTH course will you be required to take it as a student before taking it as an instructor. It's a long process, but worth it, and will pay for itself eventually.

Last edited:

ncwabbit

NRA courses are...

listed on NRA's training site: http://www.nrainstructors.org/searchcourse.aspx (expand your search to max mileage away from home to see if there is any significant cost differences) (yes you now need to factor gas and possible accomodations to balance cost)

As a NRA instructor, I schedule and list my classes out on the NRA site but also conduct courses when requested and everyone's schedule can be coordinated.

now why go the NRA...1) theorically instructor consistency across the board. 2) Recognized curriculm of training materials which meet everyone's (Law enforcement/Judical/law makers) concept(s) of firearm training. 3). curriculm is based on accepted firearm training goals. 4). more BS&P but you get the point.

now are there NRA instructors who do not follow curriculm guidance...of course!! but those are ultimately identified and lose their NRA credentials. additionally, there are shooting specialities which have their own training course but might not be accepted by local officials for ccw.

in all the states i am authorized to conduct CCW classes, each of the state's material centers around the NRA course material.

FYI while i was expending my NRA credentials, i left the area with my partner for 'weekend' jaunts and made it a mini getaway which worked on justifying the expenditure.

now congrats on wanting to expand your firearm knowledge and performance skills i think you will meet some great ppl along the way...

wabbit