• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

HR 822 discussion-House rules committee.Reciprocity.

PistolPackingMomma

Lawsuits will fly far and wide about how person A in state A (the state requiring the most regulations to get a CC) is required to do X, Y, and Z to get a CC, but person B in state B (the least regulated state) only has to do T.

The lawsuits will fly at the federal level claiming state A is violating 2A with so many regulations.
Federal law makers will then begin passing more amendments to the Reciprocity law to try and "even the playing field" across all states as to what is and/or is not required to get a CC.

Illinois, not allowing CC, along with other states with massive regulations, will seek to ensure those Reciprocity amendments are as chock-full of regulation as they can and will get away with.

This, my dear PPM, is the federal gov't getting involved in something that is state sovereignty.

As I noted, CC laws and/or regulations are simply a violation of 2A rights. Period.

2A says "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed"

Bear ~ a transitive verb , or ,

to hold and take along; carry; transport
to hold in the mind: to bear a secret
to possess as a part, characteristic, attribute, etc.; have or show: the letter bore his signature
to give birth to: the passive past participle in this sense is born when by does not follow
to bring forth; produce or yield: fruit-bearing trees, coal-bearing strata
to support or hold up; sustain

Infringed ~ past participle, past tense of in·fringe (Verb)
to actively break the terms of (a law, agreement, etc.): "infringe a copyright".
to act so as to limit or undermine (something); encroach on: "infringe on his privacy".

And these definitions aren't even from Daniel Websters 1812 dictionary and they clearly denote that 2A states I can carry, period. CC or OC.

I do prefer OC.

Thanks for the explanation.

xmanhockey7

You don't have MI CPL?

Nope, the state of Michigan thinks I am too young to be able to responsibly carry a concealed pistol (I'm 19). The state of Maine and North Dakota didn't see a problem though, both issued me non-resident permits. I will be taking my gun with me to Indiana this weekend since they recognize all carry permits.

TheQ

Nope, the state of Michigan thinks I am too young to be able to responsibly carry a concealed pistol (I'm 19). The state of Maine and North Dakota didn't see a problem though, both issued me non-resident permits. I will be taking my gun with me to Indiana this weekend since they recognize all carry permits.

You do know:

1. HR-822 will never pass the Senate and then get signed into law.
2. Even if 1 happens, it still won't make your Maine or ND permits valid for use in MI (unless you move out of state).

detroit_fan

You do know:

2. Even if 1 happens, it still won't make your Maine or ND permits valid for use in MI (unless you move out of state).

I hear it may pass the senate if they can attach it to a larger bill, but no way obummer signs it.

xmanhockey7

You do know:

1. Never say never (buy you're probably right).
2. I realize that. I was talking about being able to carry in Ohio since I go there so much for work.

B

Bikenut

Seen posted on MGO...

From GOA:

Concealed Carry Reciprocity Bill
Passes House
Troubling Amendment Added

The House passed national concealed carry reciprocity legislation on Wednesday evening by a vote of 272-154.

The bill, H.R. 822, is intended to allow persons who hold a concealed carry permit from one state to also carry anywhere in the country, with the exception of Illinois and Washington, D.C.

Though the bill passed by a wide margin, it was not without controversy on the pro-gun side of the debate. In previous alerts, GOA has pointed out several flaws in the legislation:

It forces Vermont residents (who do not need a permit to carry) to either obtain an out-of-state permit or to push their state to pass a more restrictive concealed carry law than it now enjoys;

By requiring permits for reciprocity, the bill undermines efforts at the state level to pass constitutional carry (i.e., Vermont-style carry);

In restrictive “may issue” states, the bill allows for non-residents to carry firearms in the state while most residents would still be prohibited, and;

The bill is yet another example of Congress distorting of the Constitution’s Commerce Clause.

Representative Justin Amash (R-MI), who voted against the bill, addressed this last point in a statement, calling H.R. 822 “an unconstitutional bill that improperly applies the Commerce Clause to concealed carry licensing.”

Another freshman Representative, Rob Woodall (R-GA), noted that the right to carry a concealed firearm is already protected by the Second Amendment.

“If the Second Amendment protects my rights to carry my concealed weapon from state to state to state, I don’t need another federal law,” Rep. Woodall said. He went on to remind his colleagues of the original intent of the right to keep and bear arms.

“I don’t believe the Second Amendment was put in the Bill of Rights to allow me to shoot targets [or] hunt for deer and turkey. I think the Second Amendment was put in the Bill of Rights so that I could defend my freedom against an overbearing federal government.”

Anti-gun Amendment Passes

One extremely troubling amendment to the bill was slipped in on a voice vote. Sponsored by Republican David Reichert (“C” rated by GOA), the amendment instructs the Government Accounting Office to:

“Conduct a study of the ability of State and local law enforcement authorities to verify the validity of licenses or permits, issued by other States, to carry a concealed firearm.”

Nowhere in the Constitution is there even a hint of authority for the federal government to “study” the exercising of a right. Even worse, you can be sure that anti-gunners will use any excuse, including this study, to push for some type of national carry license.

The bill now heads to the Senate, where GOA is already working with key Senators to address ALL of the problems with the bill. GOA is also working with Rep. Paul Broun (R-GA) on legislation, H.R. 2900, that takes a constitutional approach to concealed carry recognition.

Oh yeah... this infringement on the right to bear arms intentionally deceptively referred to by the NRA as the "Right to Carry" bill that so many people thought would be a good thing just because it makes it more convenient to carry their concealed gun across state lines.... is supposed to be such a great thing.

Oh no... we are told ... the Feds won't use it to put a choke hold on gun rights.... but there is already an amendment on the House version stuck in at the last minute that gives the Feds a toe hold.

And now it goes on to the Senate where another amendment will be snuck in at the last minute that changes that toe hold to a strangle hold.

And Obama will cheerfully sign it happy that his "under the radar" gun control plan that depended on the selfishness and shortsightedness of gun owners themselves....... worked so very well.

I am always astonished to discover just how often many CC permit holders will toss the right to bear arms under the bus to further their own agenda of protecting those damn permits.

Last edited by a moderator:

mrjam2jab

It forces Vermont residents (who do not need a permit to carry) to either obtain an out-of-state permit or to push their state to pass a more restrictive concealed carry law than it now enjoys;

By requiring permits for reciprocity, the bill undermines efforts at the state level to pass constitutional carry (i.e., Vermont-style carry);

Oh no... we are told ... the Feds won't use it to put a choke hold on gun rights.... but there is already an amendment on the House version stuck in at the last minute that gives the Feds a toe hold.

VT = As it is now VT residents must obtain OOS permits to carry in other states. No change.

ConCarry - It in no way affects a State's ability to decided to go ConCarry. The last 3 states to go that way left in the option to obtain a permit for reciprocity purposes.

Last minute - That amendment was added before the bill ever left the Judiciary Committee....not exactly last minute.

Last edited:

TheQ

U.S. Rep. Justin Amash and the National Rifle Association are at odds over legislation that just passed the U.S. House allowing those holding a concealed pistol license in their state to legally carry a concealed pistol in another state that allows the practice.

Mr. Amash (R-Kentwood) was one of only a handful of Republicans to oppose the legislation.

Mr. Amash, in a posting on his Facebook page, said he voted against the bill because it "unconstitutionally gives Eric Holder and the federal government expansive new powers to regulate and gradually restrict gun rights," referring to the U.S. attorney general.

"Gun rights advocates have fought hard to prevent liberal abuse of the Commerce Clause that would restrict gun rights," Mr. Amash wrote. "As an Endowment Life Member of the NRA and a Representative of individuals who believe deeply in the right to keep and bear arms, I am disappointed that the NRA has decided to put its own interests ahead of the interests of gun owners. Fortunately, many other gun rights groups rightly oppose H R 822."

But the NRA accused Mr. Amash of lying about the issue, saying he had vowed to support national right-to-carry reciprocity legislation in its candidate questionnaire. Mr. Amash countered that he does support such legislation, but not if it rests on the Commerce Clause for its authority.

-- From Gongwer News Service, 11/18/2011, "Amash, N.R.A. Open Fire On Each Other"

Jared

The 2nd amendment already clearly and expressly grants "... the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

"bear arms" = have in your possession. This goes for whether the arms are concealed or not. Period.

Any law requiring a CCW permit is simply and factly unconstitutional. Peirod.

The Federal Gov't putting their nose into the whole CCW pot is BAD. Pure and simple.

The only thing that's gonna gome of HR822 is that all states will be forced to adopt the state of Illinois' laws, which is the weakest link of "gun laws" in the entire nation. The weakest link is what breaks everyone else.

I DO NOT support HR 822, and I am as conservative right-winged caucasian Christian US citizen as you can get.
I detest that my 2 state reps voted yes. They voted wrong.

Permit me to note this to you:
(http://legislature.idaho.gov/idstat/Title18/T18CH33SECT18-3302.htm)
Idaho Code Title 18, Chapter 33, Section 3302(12)(a) and (e) exempts "Any publicly elected Idaho official" from being required to get a CCW.

What makes "(e) Any publicly elected Idaho official;" and/or "(a) Officials of a county, city, state of Idaho, the United States", etc., so special and that much more of a citizen that our state law places them, a servant of the people of the region they govern, more privileged to exercise their U.S. Constitutional 2nd Amendment right to bear arms without such right being infringed upon than a general citizen in good standings within his or her community, city, county, state of Idaho, and country?

I encourage you to educate yourself on the subject, because you seem ignorant of the facts.

The 14th Amendment empowered the Federal Government to enact legislation to support a fundamental right.

HR 822 is by no means perfect; but it has no negative side to it. It is a notwithstanding law, similar to FOPA of 1986.

Obviously the plain text of the second amendment (and the 14th) has not stopped states like New York and Hawaii from infringing on your rights. So wouldn't be nice if congress helped out since Albany and Honolulu don't seem to care about your 2nd amendment rights?

Slave

Not only am I not ignorant, I live, eat, and breathe these and far greater and deeper facts.

HR 822 is only for the contiguous 48 states. This is so someone can't claim right to CCW on a plane to Hawaii. Thus, Honolulu still gets their way.

How do you figure? Why would HI and Alaska be immune?

Last edited:

Slave

VT = As it is now VT residents must obtain OOS permits to carry in other states. No change.

ConCarry - It in no way affects a State's ability to decided to go ConCarry. The last 3 states to go that way left in the option to obtain a permit for reciprocity purposes.

Last minute - That amendment was added before the bill ever left the Judiciary Committee....not exactly last minute.

Yeah, people keep harping on this like it Vermont is losing anything. They aren't, I wish people would just drop it.

xmanhockey7

Actually it does change things for VT residents. If it passes this bill would allow them to carry in all states except Illinois.

HR 822 is only for the contiguous 48 states. This is so someone can't claim right to CCW on a plane to Hawaii. Thus, Honolulu still gets their way.

Huh? This would include all 49 states that have concealed carry including Hawaii. No this will not allow someone to carry a plane or give you any more right to.

T1mH

Not only am I not ignorant, I live, eat, and breathe these and far greater and deeper facts.

Please cite where you are getting this 48 state contiguous thing from.