• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Shoot, don't shoot scenario

aktion

My understanding, from those who have been shot at more than I, roughly in the order of relevance.....

1. Mindset
2. Situational Awareness
3. Train
4. Have a weapon
5. Train
6. Have a plan
7. Train
8. Have a back up weapon
9. Train
10.Have a back up plan

etc

Without the Mindset, the rest don't much matter. Without Mindset and Situational Awareness, you may make do without a ready weapon at hand. And so on.
Prioritize. Get good info, from proven sources. Quality training, literature and video from places like Gunsite, Thunder Ranch, Jeff Cooper, Gabe Suarez, and so on.

As for the OP's scenario; I am mentally and physically preparing to apply the above precepts. Only hits count, and when I fight, I fight to prevail. Since this is the internet, and it's a postulated scenario.....once I've determined a legitimate threat exists, fire and movement, nothing too fancy. Don't hit anyone else. Make sure you are aware of who/whats around you, as you can count on tunnel vision coming on as fast as the adrenalin dump and ensuing pucker factor. I would be very wary of complying with anyone who wasn't focusing directly on me with a weapon. And even if they were, fast draw may be your last chance. I rolled those dice once, and won. That is, a weapon was pointed at me, I decided not to draw as I thought there was a good enough chance of defusing the situation. Fortunately, I was right. In the future, I really don't think I will put that much trust in someone who has decided to point a gun at me in anger. Your results may vary.

Oh yeah- I second the idea, keep your damn mouth shut afterwards, until your lawyer is present. I'm not aware of anyone successfully talking their way out of self-incrimination or prosecution.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
Oh yeah- I second the idea, keep your damn mouth shut afterwards, until your lawyer is present. I'm not aware of anyone successfully talking their way out of self-incrimination or prosecution.

How in the world all those people that did talk to the Police after a Self Defense Action did not go to jail or charged?
I think it happens more often then not though I do not suggest just rambling on.

There are those granted who stand by say nothing along with those to give the basic information to those who ever rattle on, get training.

Last edited:

aktion

How in the world all those people that did talk to the Police after a Self Defense Action did not go to jail or charged?
I think it happens more often then not though I do not suggest just rambling on.

How in the world, indeed.

To put a finer point on it, BigDave- To not speak, you avoid self-incrimination. To speak does not necessarily equal self-incrimination and/or prosecution. To speak invites the possibility, however great or small, of self-incrimination. I didn't expect that would need to be explained.