• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Permission slip...OC...forbidder GFSZ....anyone?

Interceptor_Knight

You say:

Then you agree with him, confirming he was correct.

The road, boulevard and the sidewalk that runs parallel with the road are not school property. You both say the same thing, but you say he is wrong and you are right.

I read it as the sidewalk which runs perpendicular to the street, the sidewalk going from the building itself to the street. We agree that the one which runs parallel is not normally school grounds.
just be aware that in some instances the sidewalk is school property. The school may own and maintain the sidewalk.
The hospital near my home does own the walk around it even though it is open to the public.

Are you saying that it is "private" property and not part of the public right-of-way? Are they not required to shovel it? Can they prohibit the public from using it?

Big Dipper

I believe that there are two factually different circumstances that are set at the time that the land was originally subdivided.

To assume that they are legally the same could present some problems with regard to the “school grounds”.

In some places the private/school property does indeed end where the (parallel-to-the-roadway) sidewalk is and the land from there to the roadway is considered a “parkway”. Even though the owner of the adjacent land is obligated to “maintain” the grassy area and clear the sidewalk of snow, it does not belong to that land owner and is legally part of the roadway that was deeded to the municipality at the time the land was subdivided.

In other places, the land ownership may actually go all the way to the curb/roadway and the sidewalk is a public easement across the property. The municipality may or may not be responsible for the maintenance and replacement of such a sidewalk. And it's existence may even be required based upon local ordinances.

As I understand it, the GFSZ does not make any provision for being on such an easement across “school grounds”. On such a sidewalk one would still be on "school grounds".

rcawdor57

Campaign Veteran
I Was Thinking The Same Thing....Pick Up A Hi-Point....

This might be a good idea. Reminds me I need to pick up a highpoint soon.

I think the chances of major problems are low, but it would be wise to carry a beater.

If I had kids and walked them to school, I would wouldn't hesitate to openly carry there. Just stay on the sidewalk and watch for any antis that might freak, they are going to assume it's a no-no I bet.

I started looking at the Hi-Point 9mm pistol a few weeks ago. I can get them online for $144 plus delivery costs. I think they are about $180 or so local. As for open carry in a school zone some of us live INSIDE the school zone and if we want to open carry it must be done with the Wisconsin License once we walk off private property. Once I get my license I will open carry within the school zone here daily...to be exact at least three times a day when I walk my dogs. Right now I have to leave my gun at home due to the unconstitutional school zone laws.

Another thing to consider is some of us walk our kids to the neighborhood school bus stops, me included and sometimes wait there in the afternoon for our kids to walk them home. I will open carry to the bus stop which is also in the GFSZ. The nearest school is not within sight of my home or any of the bus stops.

Interceptor_Knight

I believe if you're on the sidewalk even that still may be considered school grounds. I wouldn't want to chance a $1000 ticket to find out.
School grounds gets you a $10,000 fine or imprisonment not to exceed 3 years and 6 months (Class I Felony).

A PUBLIC sidewalk is considered a public thoroughfare.
Most sidewalks parallel to the road are part of the Public right-of-way whether they are on public or private property. There may be some cases where the school district installed and maintains the sidewalk in front of the school parallel to the road and it is not part of the public right-of-way even though the public normally uses it freely. This is a fine point where you should know the answer if you are going to carry next to a school or you risk being charged with a Class I Felony.

Jason in WI

As for open carry in a school zone some of us live INSIDE the school zone and if we want to open carry it must be done with the Wisconsin License once we walk off private property. Once I get my license I will open carry within the school zone here daily...to be exact at least three times a day when I walk my dogs.

I also live in a school zone and couldn't leave the property before. Now I carry open in the GFSZ everyday. Still haven't needed to go past the school yet but when I do I will be open carrying.

Only problem now is if one of us get hassled for OC'ing our "peers" who only want to CC are going to jump all over us for making a scene :(

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

TaurusToter

Campaign Veteran
Interesting question.....

My kids school has "No parking during school hours" and the times listed. Since the school can claim the road as theirs during those hours, does that make it "school property"? I realize that the road is the road, owned by the people, yada yada yada. But, the question remains.

M

McX

ok..i wussed out...i CC'd up to what i perceived to be the edge of hte property...the sidewalk parallel to the road. Got a funny look and grin from my daughters, friends mom...she knew WHY i would only go so far...

never question the way you do things, do what you decide. it is interesting though to compare what and how you do to others. your right sure as i'm right................................and nothing happened- the message still goes out.

BROKENSPROKET

My kids school has "No parking during school hours" and the times listed. Since the school can claim the road as theirs during those hours, does that make it "school property"? I realize that the road is the road, owned by the people, yada yada yada. But, the question remains.

The School Board petitions the City to regulate parking hours. The city puts up the signs. The city owns the road and regulates parking hours for the benefit of the school.

BROKENSPROKET

i know i know....did what i could...not gonna push anything until i have a back up sidearm.

Just givin ya a hard time. If I walked by a school, I probably would cross the street if I could. All it would take is for someone to lie and say I stepped on school property and my life becomes very difficult. Safer just to cross the street. Open carrying that is. CC, no fear.