• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Bill 822

acmariner99

Well, not surprising to me, since it came out of the mouth of Sheila Jackson Lee. (she is liberal to the core)

From El Paso or Houston I take it? Ahh shucks its like my dad always told me -- LOOK IT UP!

Downtown Houston -- ok, that explains it.

Last edited:

Metalhead47

Metalhead47

Clearly you have not read the bill. Read the damn bill... http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/D?c112:2:./temp/~c112h4Puuj::

T
he bill only statutorily confirms that your concealed license is good in any other state and that you can not be denied this right. (Do you think you can be denied your right to attend church in a state you do not reside in?)

You MUST carry following the laws of the state you are visiting.

For all of you purists, you are wrong.

A beacon of reason as always Gogo.

C'mon guys, really? Wasn't there just a SCOTUS case that affirmed that the 2A actually does apply to the states after all, and therefore it's legitimate for the fed to enforce the US Constitution upon the states? Hmmm. This is merely one VERY small step in the battle. Stop forsaking the good while hoping for the perfect. We are NOT going to wake up one day to discover Ron Paul has magically repealed all the unconstitutional gun laws from every state.

Last I checked, drivers licences are honored in all states even though they have varying standards to acquire one... and the Feds are generally NOT involved there, either.

joeroket

The only one of those amendments I can see having even the slightest amount of merit is Reicherts. His doesn't ask to amend the purpose of the bill but rather authorize a study for LEO to verify the validity of an out of state permit. This is no different than what they do with a drivers license now.

joeroket

A beacon of reason as always Gogo.

C'mon guys, really? Wasn't there just a SCOTUS case that affirmed that the 2A actually does apply to the states after all, and therefore it's legitimate for the fed to enforce the US Constitution upon the states? Hmmm. This is merely one VERY small step in the battle. Stop forsaking the good while hoping for the perfect. We are NOT going to wake up one day to discover Ron Paul has magically repealed all the unconstitutional gun laws from every state.

Last I checked, drivers licences are honored in all states even though they have varying standards to acquire one... and the Feds are generally NOT involved there, either.

To add a little for those that don't quite grab the concept of the 14th amendment.

They are trying to enforce the constitution at the state level. They are trying to enforce the 2nd via the 14th. They basically want to statutorily define the 2nd being applied to the states via the privileges and immunity clause of the 14th. SCOTUS said it applied via the due process clause of the 14th which is a little less intrusive on the states rights.

Bookman

Campaign Veteran
Winston Salem, North Carolina, United States
It appears I was in error about HR 822 passing the HOUSE Tuesday.

That now appears to have been a procedural vote.

I am trying to get clarification.

My most humble and sincere apologies for the error. I deeply regret it

Yer a BAAAAAAD boy, Dave. I subscribe to your column and was elated when I saw the headline saying the bill had passed the House. I was a little disappointed to find out otherwise, although I think you may have just been premature. I believe the bill WILL pass the House, but will be defeated by the Dems in the Senate. I hope not, though.

amlevin

"Not a single Republican voted against the measure."

God bless them, one and all!

Also note that not a single Democrat voted FOR it. No doubt future votes will be along party lines and if the Senators have the same "moron genes" as the Representatives, the bill bill die there.

As for those that don't want this bill to pass, it's effect will be no different than what occurs with Driver's Licenses, Marriage Licenses, and other Licenses and Permits.

Last edited:

hrdware

Some really nasty amendments have been offered and will be discussed and voted on before the bill. As far as I'm concerened every single one of them is a bill killer.
The 10 amendments that will be considered during debate on HR 822 all come from those opposed to it. Given the number of Representatives who voted for H.Res. 463 and who co-sponsored the bill, they have virtually no chance of passing. A summary is below. Notice the last name on the list... our own RINO from the 8th District!

SUMMARY OF AMENDMENTS MADE IN ORDER

1. Woodall (GA): Would protect the rights of states that already have reciprocal agreements in place for the concealed carry of firearms to continue enforcing those preexisting agreements. (10 minutes)

2. McCarthy, Carolyn (NY): Would specify that the legislation can only go into effect in states that have passed legislation enacting the bill. (10 minutes)

3. Hastings, Alcee (FL): Would exempt states from issuing a carry permit on the basis of state reciprocity which do not require individuals to apply for and complete a carry permit application at their local law enforcement station. (10 minutes)

4. Jackson Lee (TX): Would require a state to create a comprehensive database that would contain all permits and licenses issued by the State for carrying a concealed weapon and would make this comprehensive database available to law enforcement officers from all states 24 hours a day. (10 minutes)

5. Conyers (MI): Would preserve state laws with respect to eligibility for concealed-carry. (10 minutes)

6. Johnson, Hank (GA): Would require the possession or carrying of a concealed handgun in a state to be subject to that state's law regarding concealed carry in regards to firearm safety training that includes live-fire exercise. (10 minutes)

7. Cohen (TN): Would exempt from the bill any State law requiring a person to be at least 21 years of age to possess or carry a concealed handgun. (10 minutes)

8. Jackson Lee (TX): Would require a person provide at least 24 hours notice to a law enforcement officer of the State of the intention to possess or carry a concealed handgun in the State (10 minutes)

9. Cicilline (RI): Would limit the bill from taking effect in a state until the State Attorney General, head of the State police, and the Secretary of State have jointly certified that the other state's carry laws are substantially similar to its own licensing or permitting requirements. (10 minutes)

10. Reichert (WA): Would require a GAO study on the ability of state and local law enforcement authorities to verify the validity of out-of-state concealed firearms permits. (10 minutes)

HR 463 was a procedural resolution that dispensed with the reading and voting of the amendments for this bill. No procedural or points of order can be made now. Just discuss and vote.

acmariner99

Those 2 states don't have a permit so it would not benefit the residents of those states. I don't know what kind of reciprocity agreements they have (if any at all). HB2900 would be better for those states.

Not true -- I live in Arizona and I have an AZ CC permit. It is valid in 30 some-odd states. Alaska and Wyoming have similar permit systems and carry laws. Vermont has never required a permit for anyone within its borders. Vermont residents can get a non-res permit from someplace else to carry outside of Vermont.

Dain Bramage

I don't blame Dave for the error. I've been trying to track the bill's progress, but the congressional website is one obfuscatory nightmare. Kind of like reporting on the status of a cow, while blindfolded, with the only point of contact through a proctology glove.

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
NRA ILA update!!!

H.R. 822 National Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Legislation, just passed the House! 272-154