Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A custom sheath for a fellow Forumite!

A custom sheath for a fellow Forumite!

A fellow forum member PM'd a request for a custom sheath with which to carry his small knife.
    It is to be a boot sheath, with a riser up along the handle, and a strap with which to secure it to the calf.

I received the knife today, with which to pattern the sheath. Once I nail down the particulars (intended side of carry -left/right, and inside or outside of the calf) I will begin laying out and cutting the actual leather.

Leather will be either 6 oz or 8 oz shoulder material-

As an option, if he so desires, I may include an outer shell of Deerskin around the outside of the sheath. This is softer than the core leather, and much more comfy when in such close, direct contact with the leg.

Last edited by j4l; 11-16-2011 at 11:21 AM.

Ok, finalized the info I needed to begin. Will document the build here. Pics soon.

I always appreciate following a pictoral thread in which an artisan is at work.

You're starting with a beautiful piece of leather and one fine looking knife that anyone of us would be proud to own.
    Proud Veteran ~ U.S. Army / Army Reserve

Mississippi State Guard ~ Honorably Retired

Ty sir. I like to document the builds as I do them. It shows the customer how their item was made, and what goes into it, and as a record for myself, to reference for future builds, as well. I do each one from scratch, particular to the item it's being made for, so even though no two are totally alike, some of the same methods might go into another one at some point.

Already making the initial/rough cuts - pics to follow soon.

And, here we go:

Initial Layout of the deerskin shell-

Now I begin dying the leather black.- An extra step, I realize, probably not needed-but, if the outer, deerskin shell should tear, or expose the underlying leather, I dont want it to be raw, tan leather.

Looking great!

Ty! Still very rough/crude, very early stages, yet.

Looking good!!! I like what I see!!
    Last edited by thebigsd; 11-16-2011 at 02:04 PM.
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

Execllent! Hope to have it ready in a day or two. Proceeding along well for now. Grabbing a quick lunch before I begin getting dye all over my hands lol.-Then back @ it.

Core leather all dyed-up. Now applying the 1st two coats of the sealer/protectant.
    Will let that dry/cure overnight, then apply another 2 coats before continuing.

Im doubling up on the protectant on this one due to it's going to be in his boot, close to his leg, and exposed to more heat/humidity/sweat/salts etc. than a typical sheath would be.

Ok, the coatings have dried nicely now, so I will begin attaching the deerskin shell shortly, and stitching her up.

j4l Very nice work. A great piece looking piece and the best part USA CUSTOM MADE!

Ty! More pics on the way soon. work in progress.

Quote Originally Posted by CDMAGS View Post
    j4l Very nice work. A great piece looking piece and the best part USA CUSTOM MADE!
    The holster is for me and this is exactly why I asked him to make it for me. Everything that he has made and posted here has looked great!!

Quote Originally Posted by CDMAGS View Post
    Right on!

China's junk can't compare to the quality and American craftsmanship we are witnessing here!

Quote Originally Posted by MilProGuy View Post
    Right on!

China's junk can't compare to the quality and American craftsmanship we are witnessing here!

So true! Why buy China when you can support your fellow Americans!

Well ty, folks. Though I must admit most of this is rather crude-looking, in ways, compared to the mass-produced-on-machines stuff out there. There will certainly be some imperfections-so one must know and expect that going into it lol.
    I do all of this by hand- the only machines I own are a saw and a dremel -which I use for cuting/sanding the woods for the knife-handles of my knives.
    And by hand, I mean that almost literally- not hand (s), as I am increasingly losing the use of my right hand-thanks to nerve damage and tendonitis, grrrrSo please forgive seeing stitches that look a bit odd, or the occasional line askew lol.

That said, got the initial stitching done, before a break for lunch: there will still be quiet a bit more, and some trimming-but should have this thing about finished-possibly by tommorow.

The double-stitching around the profile of the blade makes this thing tight enough to retain the knife without any fasteners of straps, but Ill include one anyway-just for added retention.

j4l:

This has definitely been an enjoyable and educational process for me.

Thanks for sharing this thread with us.

Np, anytime.

Heck, there'll be plenty of em coming up, with Christmas coming. I've gotten a list -already- for knives, sheaths, holsters, etc. for folks wanting gifts made lol.
    Even my Mum is wanting a knife (albeit not one of my fighting knives...) for Christmas. Making a special one for her with Cherry handles and a special wooden box to put it in made of the same board of Cherry.. that one should prove interesting lol.

Come to think of it, even some seemingly oddball requests for wooden beads for some ladies who do this beading stuff for jewelry....using some of the left-overs/ scrap cuts from my more exotic woods...

Macassar Ebony

Wenge

some kind of crazy Burl I had laying about..

Last edited by j4l; 11-17-2011 at 03:12 PM.

About 90% complete. Got the most time-consuming part of this build finished just now, the stitching.
    Probably WAY over-built this thing for such a small, light-weight knife, but I wanted to make sure this thing would last a long time. Most areas are double-stitched, many others triple-stitched.

Padded the area around the mouth of the sheath a bit, due to the cross-hilt. Didnt want the edges of that hilt cutting into you, or into the sheath's shell. Wasnt able to do so in the seamless, one-piece way I had intended, so had to cut that as a separate piece, so forgive the seam, if you will.
    And that Deer shell is sooo soft. Very comfy and adds a slightly padded feel to it all. I do hope you'll like it.

Next, I'll add the retention strap for around the handle, and then-with the measurements you provide, the tie-down strap for around the calf. Once those are done, I'll tidy up a couple of things and she's ready to come home to Daddy.
    Last edited by j4l; 11-18-2011 at 03:17 PM.

Nice work, I think I'd like to get into making leather goods, holsters, mag holders etc. Any tips, links for supplys??

Tandyleather has just about everything u could need.
    As far as doing it- all trial-and-error/figuring out. I started with zero knowledge or experience whatsoever at this. I made a knife, then realized none of the off-the-shelf sheaths would fit it properly, so I decided to make one myself. Same with my .45. No leather sheaths I could find that would fit it, so made some holsters for it.
    Caught the bug, and been addicted ever since lol.
    Last edited by j4l; 11-18-2011 at 10:39 PM.

Ok , Boss- she's already to come home to Daddy!

Cut, dyed, and attached the retention strap for the handle, and the same for the leg tie-down strap.
    The straps are also coated with the water-resistant just like the core leather beneath the deerskin.
    They are riveted and double-stitched to the riser.

A bit way over-built for the size/weight of the knife, but I wanted to make sure this would be something that doesnt come apart soon.

When you get it,-I'll be shipping it out tommorow- be sure to try on the leg-strap and let me know if it fits.
    If , for some reason , it doesnt-try to make some marks on this strap, so I know how much more/less to adjust it for you.
    I provided 2 snaps on it- 1" apart so that fine-adjustments might be made.
    Last edited by j4l; 11-21-2011 at 01:28 PM.

PM sent, with additional info.

Looks great!!!! Thanks!!
    Last edited by thebigsd; 11-21-2011 at 03:52 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast