• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

A custom sheath for a fellow Forumite!

j4l

A fellow forum member PM'd a request for a custom sheath with which to carry his small knife.
It is to be a boot sheath, with a riser up along the handle, and a strap with which to secure it to the calf.

I received the knife today, with which to pattern the sheath. Once I nail down the particulars (intended side of carry -left/right, and inside or outside of the calf) I will begin laying out and cutting the actual leather.

Leather will be either 6 oz or 8 oz shoulder material-

bigsd001.jpg

As an option, if he so desires, I may include an outer shell of Deerskin around the outside of the sheath. This is softer than the core leather, and much more comfy when in such close, direct contact with the leg. :cool:

bigsd002.jpg

Last edited:

j4l

Ok, finalized the info I needed to begin. Will document the build here. Pics soon.

MilProGuy

I always appreciate following a pictoral thread in which an artisan is at work.

You're starting with a beautiful piece of leather and one fine looking knife that anyone of us would be proud to own.

j4l

Ty sir. I like to document the builds as I do them. It shows the customer how their item was made, and what goes into it, and as a record for myself, to reference for future builds, as well. I do each one from scratch, particular to the item it's being made for, so even though no two are totally alike, some of the same methods might go into another one at some point.

Already making the initial/rough cuts - pics to follow soon.

j4l

And, here we go:

bigsd003.jpg

bigsd005.jpg

bigsd006.jpg

bigsd007.jpg

bigsd008.jpg

bigsd009.jpg

Initial Layout of the deerskin shell-

bigsd0010.jpg

bigsd0011.jpg

bigsd0012.jpg

Now I begin dying the leather black.- An extra step, I realize, probably not needed-but, if the outer, deerskin shell should tear, or expose the underlying leather, I dont want it to be raw, tan leather.

bigsd0013.jpg

j4l

Ty! Still very rough/crude, very early stages, yet.

j4l

Execllent! Hope to have it ready in a day or two. Proceeding along well for now. Grabbing a quick lunch before I begin getting dye all over my hands lol.-Then back @ it.

j4l

Core leather all dyed-up. Now applying the 1st two coats of the sealer/protectant.
Will let that dry/cure overnight, then apply another 2 coats before continuing.

bigsd1001.jpg

Im doubling up on the protectant on this one due to it's going to be in his boot, close to his leg, and exposed to more heat/humidity/sweat/salts etc. than a typical sheath would be.

j4l

Ok, the coatings have dried nicely now, so I will begin attaching the deerskin shell shortly, and stitching her up. ;)

CDMAGS

j4l Very nice work. A great piece looking piece and the best part USA CUSTOM MADE!

j4l

Well ty, folks. Though I must admit most of this is rather crude-looking, in ways, compared to the mass-produced-on-machines stuff out there. There will certainly be some imperfections-so one must know and expect that going into it lol.
I do all of this by hand- the only machines I own are a saw and a dremel -which I use for cuting/sanding the woods for the knife-handles of my knives.
And by hand, I mean that almost literally- not hand (s), as I am increasingly losing the use of my right hand-thanks to nerve damage and tendonitis, grrrr:banghead:So please forgive seeing stitches that look a bit odd, or the occasional line askew lol.

That said, got the initial stitching done, before a break for lunch: there will still be quiet a bit more, and some trimming-but should have this thing about finished-possibly by tommorow.

bigsd2002.jpg

bigsd2003.jpg

bigsd2004.jpg

The double-stitching around the profile of the blade makes this thing tight enough to retain the knife without any fasteners of straps, but Ill include one anyway-just for added retention.
bigsd2005.jpg

bigsd2006.jpg

MilProGuy

j4l:

This has definitely been an enjoyable and educational process for me. :dude:

Thanks for sharing this thread with us.

j4l

Np, anytime.

Heck, there'll be plenty of em coming up, with Christmas coming. I've gotten a list -already- for knives, sheaths, holsters, etc. for folks wanting gifts made lol.
Even my Mum is wanting a knife (albeit not one of my fighting knives...) for Christmas. Making a special one for her with Cherry handles and a special wooden box to put it in made of the same board of Cherry.. that one should prove interesting lol.

Come to think of it, even some seemingly oddball requests for wooden beads for some ladies who do this beading stuff for jewelry....using some of the left-overs/ scrap cuts from my more exotic woods...

Macassar Ebony

wb0008.jpg

wb00012.jpg

Wenge

wb0002.jpg

wb0005.jpg

some kind of crazy Burl I had laying about..
wb00018.jpg

wb00026.jpg

wb00015.jpg

Last edited:

j4l

About 90% complete. Got the most time-consuming part of this build finished just now, the stitching.
Probably WAY over-built this thing for such a small, light-weight knife, but I wanted to make sure this thing would last a long time. Most areas are double-stitched, many others triple-stitched.

bigsd3000.jpg

bigsd3001.jpg

bidsg3002.jpg

Padded the area around the mouth of the sheath a bit, due to the cross-hilt. Didnt want the edges of that hilt cutting into you, or into the sheath's shell. Wasnt able to do so in the seamless, one-piece way I had intended, so had to cut that as a separate piece, so forgive the seam, if you will.
And that Deer shell is sooo soft. Very comfy and adds a slightly padded feel to it all. I do hope you'll like it.

Next, I'll add the retention strap for around the handle, and then-with the measurements you provide, the tie-down strap for around the calf. Once those are done, I'll tidy up a couple of things and she's ready to come home to Daddy.

Last edited: