• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

A custom sheath for a fellow Forumite!

Nam-Vet

Nice work, I think I'd like to get into making leather goods, holsters, mag holders etc. Any tips, links for supplys??

j4l

Tandyleather has just about everything u could need.
As far as doing it- all trial-and-error/figuring out. I started with zero knowledge or experience whatsoever at this. I made a knife, then realized none of the off-the-shelf sheaths would fit it properly, so I decided to make one myself. Same with my .45. No leather sheaths I could find that would fit it, so made some holsters for it.
Caught the bug, and been addicted ever since lol.

Last edited:

j4l

Ok , Boss- she's already to come home to Daddy!

Cut, dyed, and attached the retention strap for the handle, and the same for the leg tie-down strap.
The straps are also coated with the water-resistant just like the core leather beneath the deerskin.
They are riveted and double-stitched to the riser.

bigsd4001.jpg

bigsd4002.jpg

bigsd4003.jpg

bigsd4004.jpg

bigsd4005.jpg

A bit way over-built for the size/weight of the knife, but I wanted to make sure this would be something that doesnt come apart soon.

When you get it,-I'll be shipping it out tommorow- be sure to try on the leg-strap and let me know if it fits.
If , for some reason , it doesnt-try to make some marks on this strap, so I know how much more/less to adjust it for you.
I provided 2 snaps on it- 1" apart so that fine-adjustments might be made.

Last edited:

j4l

And ty, sir.
The package is shipped- est. delivery of Fri. or Sat. Sent back same way, in same box- including your original sheath, of course.
Don't include extra for the shipping, I included that in the price I quoted you.

I hope ya like it, and it fits properly- if it needs adjustment/alteration, just send it back same way, and I'll make the needed adjustments.