• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Mother in law hates when I carry

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
I don't think you'll get through arguing. Put a splinter in her mind with something simple... Give her something profound enough she has to think about it whether she wants to or not. I'm willing to bet that using this technique has won me more converts than every other person on this forum combined.

I've moved staunch Liberal moonbats that make Obama look Conservative, from hating guns and cursing my name in public for owning one, to buying their own AK47 in under a week. All you have to do is plant the seed. Remember, truth and facts are on our side. You have to break the Faction Agenda barrier, and the lives of their children usually do that. I've met few people who place their Political Faction's Agenda above their Children's Lives. You break that barrier, and all the talking points disappear. They call out their own bullsh!t. They can't help but think about it.

"Would you rather I lament how there was nothing I could do at her funeral? Helplessness never made anyone safer."

"'We never expected it in OUR neighborhood [sob sob sob] Now my baby is dead!' Isn't that what all the news reports say?"

I sometimes use a counter-aggression "Sad, that I care more about your daughter than you do." but that doesn't seem appropriate here.

Accept the fact that you can't fix stupid. If she is stupid, don't waste your time. And definitely don't change your ways to suit her neurosis. Bending down and being a weakling, appeasing the hateful... It only makes you look pathetic. They'll both lose respect for you and the hen-pecking and harassment will only get worse. If she doesn't like it, she can close her damn eyes.

If it comes to this, and she is too juvenile or stupid to respect you, then find a more tactful way to tell her to fock off.

"I'm not going to waste my time casting pearls before [those who cannot understand the value]. We can continue the petty bickering unto it's final stupidity, or we can stop talking about what you don't understand and maintain some civility."

Don't raise your voice when she interrupts you, and she will... Just keep saying what you have to say, and DO NOT repeat yourself. You're dealing with a brat who things she can subdue you because of the relationship. At the risk of sounding sexist, I bring up the experience that women have a policy of abusing relationships to bully men. They use the thought of possible emotional pain to get you to bend to their will. Is this what a loving family does to each other? No. Don't be afraid to point out that you're on to her game, and that you don't appreciate the fact that she is using your relationship with her daughter to be emotionally abusive.

It'll either work, or it won't. Sack up. Don't let her frustrate you to the point that you are reactive, take pre-emptive action. If you just grin and bear it, she'll only pile on more. If you give in, the floodgates will open.

Soften it up, or not... But stand your ground. Refuse to be spiteful, not matter how much you want to be.

Last edited:

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
Find a picture of a beautiful girl lying dead from a violent attack in a parking lot. The more gruesome, the better. Hand it to her and simply say that you will do everything in your power to keep her daughter from ending up like this.

Something like that. ;-)

Freiheit417

Today alone in CT, there were three bank robberies and yet another home invasion earlier this week. This was one of MANY in the past few weeks.

"New Haven police are investigating a home invasion on Carmel Street on Tuesday night where a man was shot in the head by intruders."
http://www.wfsb.com/story/16077127/new-haven-police-investigate-home-invasion

Ask her what she would do if two masked, armed men burst into her home. As has been already suggested, just keep showing her all of the news stories. Unfortunately, these kinds of stories just keep coming up every other day or so. Like the article says, "people are desperate."

Good luck though. My own mother used to be pretty anti-gun, but after talking 2A politics over the years, she has come around. She now even challenges her friends when they start talking anti-gun and I hear my talking points coming out - kinda funny. It seems she was listening after all :D.

Last edited:

Phoenix David

I'd also suggest some training classes and they you can have the wife casually mention to the MIL how your responsible and how your making sure that you get proper training and that you actively practice what you learned in the training classes.

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
What about this?

Have some friends dress up like burglars and burst into your house with (toy) guns. Have them order your M-I-L to give them her valuables, etc. When your MIL looks at you, knowing you have a gun, just raise your hands palm up and shrug and say 'Oh, sorry, left it in the safe since you were coming over'.

Then, after she freaks, tell her it's just a joke.

When she finishes changing her underwear, she'll change her mind on you carrying for SD.

lol before I even read this I had my reply in mind, here it goes:

The answer to your problem is simple, bro.

You need to put on a mask and literally rob your mother in law at gun point. Then the next time you see her she will be asking you about gun shopping. Worked for me!

It's important for her to realize that the world, and this country have greatly changed over the past few years, no less decades.

Good Citizen

Make your Wife get Her Permit

Dude there are some control issues at your house, you cant tell her to just stop asking about it and to stop being sarcastic, Who U livin with Hitler and Stalin...... obvisouly shes a big mouth and i dont think you telling her off or to back off is anything new.

Hef

My MIL doesn't like guns at all. The reason is that her dad had an accident with a shotgun on Easter Sunday and killed himself when she was a little girl. It traumatized her. I keep that in mind when talking to her, knowing that the issue carries a lot of emotions for her and she can't think rationally about it.

That said, I told her in no uncertain terms that I am a grown man, acting lawfully and responsibly, and if she doesn't like it that's just too damn bad. I prefer peace, but I'm not going to capitulate. The most I will do is 1) respect her home by not carrying in it, and 2) keep gun discussion to a minimum and not "throw it in her face".

It has taken a few confrontations, but we are now at a point where she and I respect each other. She understands clearly what I believe, and she appreciates the fact that I am so diligent about gun safety around her daughter and grand-daughter. It helps tremendously that I am a loyal and dedicated husband and father who works long days and doesn't drink, smoke, gamble, or have any other vices besides the occasional range trip.

My advice?

Be firm and direct. Don't try to justify your behavior. Assert yourself, but do so with understanding and respect for differences of opinion. Be a man about it, and know when to shut up.

PistolPackingMomma

My MIL doesn't like guns at all. The reason is that her dad had an accident with a shotgun on Easter Sunday and killed himself when she was a little girl. It traumatized her. I keep that in mind when talking to her, knowing that the issue carries a lot of emotions for her and she can't think rationally about it.

That said, I told her in no uncertain terms that I am a grown man, acting lawfully and responsibly, and if she doesn't like it that's just too damn bad. I prefer peace, but I'm not going to capitulate. The most I will do is 1) respect her home by not carrying in it, and 2) keep gun discussion to a minimum and not "throw it in her face".

It has taken a few confrontations, but we are now at a point where she and I respect each other. She understands clearly what I believe, and she appreciates the fact that I am so diligent about gun safety around her daughter and grand-daughter. It helps tremendously that I am a loyal and dedicated husband and father who works long days and doesn't drink, smoke, gamble, or have any other vices besides the occasional range trip.

My advice?

Be firm and direct. Don't try to justify your behavior. Assert yourself, but do so with understanding and respect for differences of opinion. Be a man about it, and know when to shut up.

Good advice :)

KIX

I think Hef is getting it right there.

She may have just been lied to all her life. You just don't have an "accident" with a shotgun. That being said, the lie is repeated enough times and it's the evil gun.

Some people like that can't look at the facts and only see the emotion tied to it.

Jonathan

ixtow

Founder's Club Member

She may have just been lied to all her life. You just don't have an "accident" with a shotgun. That being said, the lie is repeated enough times and it's the evil gun.

Some people like that can't look at the facts and only see the emotion tied to it.

Jonathan

I had a 'traumatized, I hate guns" person once... Her brother was shot and killed by someone carelessly handling a shotgun on the floor below. Put the slug through the floor and up his leg. I shudder to think of the mess and bleeding out death... ugh...

She was shocked and amazed to find we had been on a date for 2 hours, wanted to take me home (yes, girls are like that here, gross...), etc... And then I showed her my P89 at 6 O'Clock. It's fun to watch a girl's mind reel, but not want to offend for losing her chances of something she never had a chance at to begin with... I refused to use her improper wording of blaming the gun or the word 'accident.' It was clearly negligent, and the negligent person is to blame. I got her to the range a few times, then never called her again. I wouldn't have bothered with a slut at all, if not for wanting to undo the gun-hate propaganda machine she would undoubtedly be otherwise.

Last edited:

Hef

Jonathan

I agree. I wasn't about to challenge 50 years of traumatic memories and a view that has given her comfort in coping with a childhood loss. I let her know I understand her fear, and I showed empathy while maintaining a hard line on what I was and was not willing to do to make her feel better about my carrying a firearm.

It's important to show some sympathy for other peoples' fears, even if those fears are irrational, if we are to expect them to be willing to listen to us. It is also important to draw the line for them and make it clear that they do not get to dictate how other people conduct themselves.

I am happy to say that I have a good and respectful relationship with my MIL. I keep my guns out of her home and out of her mind, and she doesn't try to start any arguments about what I should or should not do with my guns.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
I like PistolPackingMomma's and Herf's advice.

Its important to realize that if she has been throwing this in your face despite explanations from you, then she is the one being rude.

Nothing about being a mother-in-law allows her to repeatedly snipe at you verbally, nor create friction between you and your spouse.

Firm and polite. End of discussion.

Johnny W

So, she complains about you bringing a gun to her house but hasn't outright asked (or demanded) that you stop? That says something right there.