Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: College in NC locked down after report of gunman

College in NC locked down after report of gunman

http://news.yahoo.com/college-nc-loc...162312668.html

Yes, I know, too few details. So was this guy carrying it in his hand, hip, etc? It sounds like someone was carrying a firearm on his hip.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson (1776)

If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

If it was just an ordinary citizen out for a daily stroll through the college campus, he could have avoided causing all the drama by having his shirttail covering his handgun. (cc)
    Last edited by MilProGuy; 11-16-2011 at 01:10 PM. Reason: edited for clarity
    Proud Veteran ~ U.S. Army / Army Reserve

Mississippi State Guard ~ Honorably Retired

Occupied Greensboro, North Carolina, United States
    I found some more reports on this. The guy was casually strolling down a street that runs through the campus with an AR slung over his shoulder. Asking for trouble IMO.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk
    Carry on!

Quote Originally Posted by Ruger View Post
    I found some more reports on this. The guy was casually strolling down a street that runs through the campus with an AR slung over his shoulder. Asking for trouble IMO.
    Either that, or just trying to draw attention to himself.
    Last edited by MilProGuy; 11-16-2011 at 01:51 PM. Reason: edited for clarity

Perhaps Leonard "Kwikrnu" Embody moved to Greenville? :P

Carry on!

umbrella...the bloke was carrying an unbrella

http://www.witn.com/home/headlines/133958673.html

OMG what is wrong w/this scene...they shut a college, schools and basically a town down because of someone is carrying a bumbershoot...
    news reports upwards to 30+ police, helicopters, etc., involved and it took three hours to determine the bloke had a bumbershoot?

talk about a knee jerk...sigh

wabbit
    Last edited by ncwabbit; 11-16-2011 at 02:34 PM.

Didn't this very thing happen at a mall up in Hartford or Boston earlier this year? People need to learn how to tell the difference between an AR & an umbrella. SHEESH!

Carry on!

If someone isn't acting in an aggressive way, why should there be any concern?

If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

Gun-grabbers think that because we carry guns, WE live in a state of paranoid fear, yet this is the second time this year we hear about major lockddowns over umbrellas.

WHO IS PARANOID????

Carry on!

From the pic posted in the second link it certainly looks as if the guy is carrying a slung rifle.

I've never seen anyone carry an umbrella that way. Anyone here who has?

The guy got the attention he was craving. End of story.

IDK... I think its possible that it didn't occur to him that idiots would mistake his umbrella for an AR. I give him the benefit of the doubt.

Carry on!

From this picture, it looks like a golf club.

It doesn't really matter what it was, the same purpose was achieved; the indoctrination of young, impressionable college youth into widespread over-reaction and panic as being the 'normal reaction.'

Quote Originally Posted by Fallschirmjäger View Post
    It doesn't really matter what it was, the same purpose was achieved; the indoctrination of young, impressionable college youth into widespread over-reaction and panic as being the 'normal reaction.'
    Agreed.

Carry on!

hurray for social media

apparently there were notices posted/circulated on social media regarding hostages and buildings being occupied...

but my concern is why nobody (plains clothed/undercover police etc) did a walk by to see wtf was going...

and those in authority say the 60+ exercise was acceptable response to this 'threat' that turned out to be nothing.

has anybody seen my W O L F???

wabbit

So...who's up for an open carry walk in downtown Greenville this weekend?? Should be interesting!!

Quote Originally Posted by MilProGuy View Post
    If it was just an ordinary citizen out for a daily stroll through the college campus, he could have avoided causing all the drama by having his shirttail covering his handgun. (cc)
    I don't know if carry let alone open carry is legal or not on college campuses in NC, but if it is...why should he have to cover it up?

It's my understanding this is a public street...how is legally carrying a firearm on a public street asking for trouble?

Apparently the umbrella was sticking up out of his backpack, which is why it appeared to officer numbnuts that it was a slung rifle.

TheTruthAboutGuns has a good article on it: http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/201...wn/#more-78451

And check out HuffPo's rabid coverage [cringe]: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/1...n_1097382.html

"University spokeswoman Mary Schulken said the response was justified even though it turned out to be based on a false report." [FACEPALM].

Too bad ECU isn't an umbrella-free zone, eh?
    Carry on!

Quote Originally Posted by spiderjohn View Post
    It's my understanding this is a public street...how is legally carrying a firearm on a public street asking for trouble?
    Well, apparently legally carrying an umbrella on a public street is asking for trouble around ECU....

While the details included in numerous reports have varied, I've seen it reported that he was walking on a street (or in some reports "sidewalk") that runs through the campus. If indeed it were an AR that he had slung, rather than an umbrella sticking out of a backpack, then I still say he's asking for trouble. Try walking down the sidewalk on a street that runs through a college campus OC'ing a rifle & see what happens to you.

Is this sidewalk on this street considered to be "Public Property" or "University Property"? If it is ECU property, and if it were a rifle, then he would not be legally carrying the firearm.

And I think we all learned from Kwikrnu's antics that what might be technically "legal" is not always helpful to the cause, and is sometimes asking for trouble. This is why the promotion of long gun OC is prohibited on these forums.
    Last edited by Ruger; 11-16-2011 at 06:31 PM.
    Carry on!

Quote Originally Posted by MilProGuy View Post
    From the pic posted in the second link it certainly looks as if the guy is carrying a slung rifle.
    I've never seen anyone carry an umbrella that way. Anyone here who has?
    The guy got the attention he was craving. End of story.
    I guess it's official now... carrying a 30 inch umbrella in an 18 inch tall backpack is "asking for attention." Keep them 'brolly's hidden folks, or you're upset the hoplophobes and their enablers.
    Last edited by Fallschirmjäger; 11-16-2011 at 07:26 PM.

Thumbs down

This is why the promotion of long gun OC is prohibited on these forums.
    I must've missed this forum "memo".

Quote Originally Posted by razor_baghdad View Post
    I must've missed this forum "memo".
    It wasn't a "memo." It's one of the forum rules you agreed to when you became a member on OCDO.

(14) LONG GUN CARRY IS OFF-TOPIC: This web site is focused on the right to openly carry properly holstered handguns in daily American life. We do NOT promote the carry of long guns. Long guns are great! OCDO co-founders John & Mike and most of the members of this forum own at least one long gun - but due to urban area issues of muzzle control, lack of trigger guard coverage, and the fact that the long gun carry issue distracts from our main mission to promote the open carry of handguns in daily life, we will leave long gun carry activism in the capable hands of the future founders of web sites about long gun carry. Exception: This rule does NOT apply to discussions about long gun carry in jurisdictions such as California which ban handgun carry and thus require long gun carry as a matter of public policy.

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/misc.php?do=showrules
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

He was about 10 feet from main campus when he crossed the street. I attend ECU i am a JR majoring in criminal justice. While i do think the helios where a bit much. im grateful that the ECU police adorned their new AR-15's and cleared my building because it was said that he had entered it. I would rather them take the time to clear the building to be safe than me walking out of class to a rifle in my face or shooting my friends. while we were on lockdown though, me and a few other ROTC students/ex military convinced much of my class that as only adults (18+ mostly) attend college that we should be able to carry on campus as long as we are legally allowed to own the weapon. i was amazed at how many people thought u werent allowed to carry a firearm. one girl even said that she KNEW it was illegal especially if people around you are scared of guns. lol. it was pretty scary experience thinking that there was someone that could take my life and i could do nothing to defend myself but throw my books at him if something were to happen.

Actually, this guy was walking AWAY from campus when the video was taken, going toward the "Sup Dog" restaurant. So he wasn't "on campus" at all, but nearly a block away on a public street, where OC of ANY firearm is 100% legal in NC...

Second, it was a freaking umbrella, and this guy is well-known on campus as being a bit eccentric and wearing strange hats and carrying an umbrella in his backpack. I've seen him dozens of times myself just like he is depicted in the photo.

Third, it took 3 responding agencies nearly 6 hours to find a guy who EVERYONE on campus knows, who wears a big white cowboy hat and carries a golf-size umbrella. If he HAD been a REAL "active shooter", the carnage would have been unimaginable with that sort of "response time".

Fourth, if the people manning the Big Brother cameras in Greenville can't tell the difference between an AR-15 being carried in a person's hand and a long umbrella sticking out of a book bag, then I think the LEAST of ECU's and Greenville's worries are the possibility of a MWAG on campus--they had helicopters, K-9 units, and SWAT teams--with guns DRAWN and at the ready ALL over campus for 6 hours--at a cost to the taxpayer of tens of thousands of dollars--for a freaking umbrella.

I can't wait to see what happens when the next game of "Zombies vs. Humans" starts up again on ECU's campus--that should provide some SERIOUSLY funny "Barney Fife" action.

It's instances like this that make me ashamed to admit that I ever attended that institution...
    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast