• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

College in NC locked down after report of gunman

MilProGuy

If it was just an ordinary citizen out for a daily stroll through the college campus, he could have avoided causing all the drama by having his shirttail covering his handgun. (cc)

Last edited:

MilProGuy

I found some more reports on this. The guy was casually strolling down a street that runs through the campus with an AR slung over his shoulder. Asking for trouble IMO.

Either that, or just trying to draw attention to himself.

Last edited:

ncwabbit

umbrella...the bloke was carrying an unbrella

http://www.witn.com/home/headlines/133958673.html

OMG what is wrong w/this scene...they shut a college, schools and basically a town down because of someone is carrying a bumbershoot...
news reports upwards to 30+ police, helicopters, etc., involved and it took three hours to determine the bloke had a bumbershoot?

talk about a knee jerk...sigh

wabbit

Last edited:

protias

If someone isn't acting in an aggressive way, why should there be any concern?

MilProGuy

From the pic posted in the second link it certainly looks as if the guy is carrying a slung rifle.

I've never seen anyone carry an umbrella that way. Anyone here who has?

The guy got the attention he was craving. End of story.

protias

From this picture, it looks like a golf club.

ecu-no-gunman.jpg

Fallschirjmäger

It doesn't really matter what it was, the same purpose was achieved; the indoctrination of young, impressionable college youth into widespread over-reaction and panic as being the 'normal reaction.'

ncwabbit

hurray for social media

apparently there were notices posted/circulated on social media regarding hostages and buildings being occupied...

but my concern is why nobody (plains clothed/undercover police etc) did a walk by to see wtf was going...

and those in authority say the 60+ exercise was acceptable response to this 'threat' that turned out to be nothing.

has anybody seen my W O L F???

wabbit

spiderjohn

If it was just an ordinary citizen out for a daily stroll through the college campus, he could have avoided causing all the drama by having his shirttail covering his handgun. (cc)

I don't know if carry let alone open carry is legal or not on college campuses in NC, but if it is...why should he have to cover it up?

spiderjohn

I found some more reports on this. The guy was casually strolling down a street that runs through the campus with an AR slung over his shoulder. Asking for trouble IMO.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

It's my understanding this is a public street...how is legally carrying a firearm on a public street asking for trouble?

Ruger

Occupied Greensboro, North Carolina, United States
Apparently the umbrella was sticking up out of his backpack, which is why it appeared to officer numbnuts that it was a slung rifle.

TheTruthAboutGuns has a good article on it: http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2011/11/chris-dumm/umbrella-armed-man-triggers-lockdown/#more-78451

And check out HuffPo's rabid coverage [cringe]: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/11/16/east-carolina-university-_n_1097382.html

"University spokeswoman Mary Schulken said the response was justified even though it turned out to be based on a false report." [FACEPALM].

Too bad ECU isn't an umbrella-free zone, eh?

Ruger

Occupied Greensboro, North Carolina, United States
It's my understanding this is a public street...how is legally carrying a firearm on a public street asking for trouble?

Well, apparently legally carrying an umbrella on a public street is asking for trouble around ECU....

While the details included in numerous reports have varied, I've seen it reported that he was walking on a street (or in some reports "sidewalk") that runs through the campus. If indeed it were an AR that he had slung, rather than an umbrella sticking out of a backpack, then I still say he's asking for trouble. Try walking down the sidewalk on a street that runs through a college campus OC'ing a rifle & see what happens to you.

Is this sidewalk on this street considered to be "Public Property" or "University Property"? If it is ECU property, and if it were a rifle, then he would not be legally carrying the firearm.

And I think we all learned from Kwikrnu's antics that what might be technically "legal" is not always helpful to the cause, and is sometimes asking for trouble. This is why the promotion of long gun OC is prohibited on these forums.

Last edited: