• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Berkley

carracer

Any information on the college student shot and killed by police in Berkely? News reports don't say anything about threatening. Just shot and killed by police on campus.

bigtoe416

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
According to that youtube story, the cops ordered him to put his hands up and he raised his firearm. If he was holding his weapon when given that order he may have actually been complying (although in a reckless manner). I still haven't heard of anything the guy did other than have a gun and get shot. Did he threaten anybody or point the firearm at anybody? It almost sounds like an overreaction to somebody carrying a firearm on campus...time will tell.

oc4ever

Lets get real here

If you think that standing on a California college campus with a gun in your hand is going to have a good ending when the cops show up, you have been living someplace other than this State. These college Police Officers have probably never experienced a citizen with a gun standing in front of them , and they have probably never had to exercise restraint needed when confronted with a MWAG. When the "academy" training kicks in, shoot fast without personal risk will be the result more often than not. I don't blame the Officers, they get to go home at night. The guy with the gun set a off deadly chain of events with a predictable, yet sad outcome.

The lesson for everyone here is that you can't get into the Officer's mind when he shows up, if he thinks you are a threat to him or anyone else, you are going to get shot. Keeping your hands away from the weapon at all times, following every instruction given by the Officer without argument, and making slow moves announcing you have no intention but to comply with his instructions in a calm voice may save your life. There will be plenty of time to get a lawyer or straighten the situation out when the incident ramps down after a few minutes.

Last edited:

MilProGuy

If you think that standing on a California college campus with a gun in your hand is going to have a good ending when the cops show up, you have been living someplace other than this State. These college Police Officers have probably never experienced a citizen with a gun standing in front of them , and they have probably never had to exercise restraint needed when confronted with a MWAG. When the "academy" training kicks in, shoot fast without personal risk will be the result more often than not. I don't blame the Officers, they get to go home at night. The guy with the gun set a off deadly chain of events with a predictable, yet sad outcome.

The lesson for everyone here is that you can't get into the Officer's mind when he shows up, if he thinks you are a threat to him or anyone else, you are going to get shot. Keeping your hands away from the weapon at all times, following every instruction given by the Officer without argument, and making slow moves announcing you have no intention but to comply with his instructions in a calm voice may save your life. There will be plenty of time to get a lawyer or straighten the situation out when the incident ramps down after a few minutes.

Great points.

I might add: "...and don't carry a firearm onto a college campus".

Last edited:

carracer

I thought I read he was sitting in front of a computer in the library, not standing in front of them holding a gun in his hand.