• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Elderly woman hit by spray at protest

MilProGuy

If it ends up her being at the wrong place at the wrong time, I feel sorry for her.

If she was there to make a "statement"...well, there's better ways a lady in her advanced years could make a statement.

Tawnos

Have these words lost all of their meaning to you?
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Or from the WA constitution:

SECTION 1 POLITICAL POWER. All political power is inherent in the people, and governments derive their just powers from the consent of the governed, and are established to protect and maintain individual rights.

SECTION 4 RIGHT OF PETITION AND ASSEMBLAGE. The right of petition and of the people peaceably to assemble for the common good shall never be abridged.

MilProGuy

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

SECTION 1 POLITICAL POWER. All political power is inherent in the people, and governments derive their just powers from the consent of the governed, and are established to protect and maintain individual rights.

SECTION 4 RIGHT OF PETITION AND ASSEMBLAGE. The right of petition and of the people peaceably to assemble for the common good shall never be abridged.

Exactly...we all have these freedoms.

But...when cops say "clear the intersection" it might be in the interest of one's own health and well-being to simply step to the curb and continue exercising their rights from the sidewalk.

jbone

I was only taking about Granny knowing what she was getting into.

I guess if you’re going to highjack the thread; hell yes we have the rights you mention, but hell no do those right allow you to impact other’s. And that's what's going on at most of these occupy's. They are abridging the freedom of others, they are not petitioning peacefully.

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran

But...when cops say "clear the intersection" it might be in the interest of one's own health and well-being to simply step to the curb and continue exercising their rights from the sidewalk.

was that the case with this incident? i didn't see anything about an intersection in this article. its possible i missed it

jbone

was that the case with this incident? i didn't see anything about an intersection in this article. its possible i missed it

"Many refused to move from the intersection after being ordered by police"
Written in the text below the picture of granny

ncwabbit

she showed up to make a statement

"Oh boy, I'd better go show solidarity with New York." so, by her own admission, she was there for a purpose... as such, while not condoning the actions of the authorities, was apparently caught up in the situation and who knows this might have been a staged foto event. (no there wouldn't have been that opportunity would there?)

however, reminds me of the bloke, who several years ago, during a protest, tried to block a train going into or out of a military facility and he laid down on the tracks in front of engine. imagine his suprise when the train couldn 't stop in time and due to his own stuborness didn't move off the tracks and the engine rolled over him and amputated both of his legs above the knees...he complained of mistreatment and everyone (his fellow protesters, judical, etc.) stated he was dumb enough to lay down in front of a moving train he should accept and endure his action(s).

bottom line, if u 'show up' to demonstrations, accept the fact you might get sucked into something you can't control and then be responsible enough to accept your accountability of your actions.

wabbit

jbone

"Oh boy, I'd better go show solidarity with New York." so, by her own admission, she was there for a purpose... as such, while not condoning the actions of the authorities, was apparently caught up in the situation and who knows this might have been a staged foto event. (no there wouldn't have been that opportunity would there?)

however, reminds me of the bloke, who several years ago, during a protest, tried to block a train going into or out of a military facility and he laid down on the tracks in front of engine. imagine his suprise when the train couldn 't stop in time and due to his own stuborness didn't move off the tracks and the engine rolled over him and amputated both of his legs above the knees...he complained of mistreatment and everyone (his fellow protesters, judical, etc.) stated he was dumb enough to lay down in front of a moving train he should accept and endure his action(s).

bottom line, if u 'show up' to demonstrations, accept the fact you might get sucked into something you can't control and then be responsible enough to accept your accountability of your actions.

wabbit

Well said!

Daylen

they don't have the right to block intersections, break rules for public spaces, trespass on private property, or use violence.

MilProGuy

"Seattle activist Dorli Rainey, 84, reacts after being hit with pepper spray during an Occupy Seattle protest on Tuesday, November 15, 2011 at Westlake Park. Protesters gathered in the intersection of 5th Avenue and Pine Street after marching from their camp at Seattle Central Community College in support of Occupy Wall Street. Many refused to move from the intersection after being ordered by police. Police then began spraying pepper spray into the gathered crowd hitting dozens of people. A pregnant woman was taken from the mele in an ambulance after being struck with spray."

MilProGuy

wabbit

It kind of goes with the territory that one puts themselves in.

I'm glad the lady didn't suffer anymore injuries than the pepper spray.

Perhaps her family ought to encourage her to make her voice heard in other venues.

Tawnos

If the reason they are in the intersection is because the cops kicked them out of the park, then the cops have no right to interfere. Just because you disagree with their protest, doesn't mean you should be boot licking those who are violating our constitution.

KBCraig

The crackdowns on OWS amount to "contempt of cop" retaliation on a very large scale.

The fact that not just Americans in general, but pro-rights Americans on this very forum are cheering wholesale abuse disgusts and sickens me.

:banghead:

SourKraut

I can count how many people got sprayed with pepper spray by police at T.E.A. party events last year without taking my hands out of my pockets.

The T.E.A. party is labled racist by the media for no reason. We can all see the damage and litter that the occupy ralies have brought.

The elderly lady made poor choices.

Tawnos

I can count how many people got sprayed with pepper spray by police at T.E.A. party events last year without taking my hands out of my pockets.

The T.E.A. party is labled racist by the media for no reason. We can all see the damage and litter that the occupy ralies have brought.

The elderly lady made poor choices.

What do the "T", "E", and "A" stand for in "T.E.A. party"?

Jim675

Founder's Club Member
Just watched a video. Several cops are being confronted by a half dozen Occupiers. The police get out the economy-sized pepper spray cans and have it. The 2 cops on the end just can't help themselves. They direct their streams of pepper spray over the heads of the group in front of them and hit the line of on-lookers 15 feet back for several seconds. Obviously intentionally done.

Its not the crony-capitalist corporations in the street spraying random citizens. The state is the enemy, whether our friends in the Occupy groups realize it or not.