Thread: Lying on Facebook could become federal crime

Lying on Facebook could become federal crime

It has often been noted on this forum and others that I read that the bar for a Felony conviction in this country is lowering every year, as we all know when a person is convicted of a felony they lose many of their rights including the right to keep and bear arms.

I just ran across this and it scares the hell out of me.

http://blogs.ajc.com/news-to-me/2011...xntlid=thbz_hm

...A representative from the U.S. Department of Justice appeared before Congress Tuesday asking that august body to strengthen laws to “[improve] cybersecurity [of] our nation’s critical infrastructure, and the federal government’s own networks and computers.”

Noble goals, surely.

But the changes requested by Richard Downing, deputy chief of the Computer Crime and Intellectual Property Section at the Department of Justice, would also broadly criminalize many things Americans currently do online, NPR reports.

The Justice Department, it seems, want to make it a crime to violate a website’s terms of service. ...

Since everyone lies on the 'Net, Congress lies preferentially, NASA never gives a straight answer, the President lies, then the jails would be filled to the brim.
    A gun in a holster is better than one drawn and dispensing bullets. Concealed forces the latter. - ixtow

Hi, I'm hypercritical. But I mean no harm, I just like to try to look deeply at life

Quote Originally Posted by Badger Johnson View Post
    Since everyone lies on the 'Net, Congress lies preferentially, NASA never gives a straight answer, the President lies, then the jails would be filled to the brim.
    So, if we quote a lie from a political official, then they would then be in violation of the TOS and sent to jail? Sweet.

Sent using tapatalk
    "A Right Un-exercised is a Right Lost"

"According to the law, [openly carrying] in a vehicle is against the law if the weapon is concealed" -Flamethrower (think about it....)

Carrying an XDm 9mm with Hornady Critical Defense hollowpoint. Soon to be carrying a Ruger along with it....

I think we need a new constitutuional amendment: conservation of laws and regulations. If congress wants to pass a new law, they must repeal a previous law, if a regulating body wants to make a new regulation they must eliminate an old one. I'm surprised being alive has not been made a felony with no minimum sentence and lifelong parole with no chance of gaining relief from a court.
    Don't believe any facts that I say! This is the internet and it is filled with lies and untruth. I invite you to look up for yourself the basic facts that my arguments might be based upon. This way we can have a discussion where logic and hints on where to find information are what is brought to the forum and people look up and verify facts for themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Baked on Grease View Post
    So, if we quote a lie from a political official, then they would then be in violation of the TOS and sent to jail? Sweet.

Sent using tapatalk
    No that wouldn't be lying, but it's almost as ridiculous. As quoted from the article, if a 17 yo did a Google search (minimum age req by Google's policy is 18), they'd be committing a crime.
    A gun in a holster is better than one drawn and dispensing bullets. Concealed forces the latter. - ixtow

Hi, I'm hypercritical. But I mean no harm, I just like to try to look deeply at life

Another Bill along the same lines as above.

Protect-IP

http://fightforthefuture.org/pipa/

"The Justice Department, it seems, want to make it a crime to violate a website’s terms of service. ..."

So if some idiot moderator on some website claims I've violated their terms of service, such as these, which pretty much outlaw anything, including the slightest disagreement with the mods, then I go to jail.

Nice...

Tell you what: NO.
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.

It's already a crime. I can't remember the law though. But if you all will remember the old hag that bullied the teen girl into suicide, that was one if the things they convicted her for.

Posted using my HTC Evo

LOL I found a simple solution to the whole thing. I stopped using crap like facebook and myspace. I enjoy my privacy.

If any one wants to know anything about me they can just come to visit me. Sit down and have a talk. If I want to share photos with friends and family I visit them and show them. Sites like facebook and myspace may seem like they bring people closer together but in reality they are driving friends and family apart. Why actually visit and socialize when you can just post something and forget about it.

Seriously who was the first idiot who posted on one of those sights thinking Hey! I want everyone to know about me.

We are all worried about the government and our privacy but yet we will post everything about us on the internet. Stop supporting those sites. I know I made the same mistake and made an account on both those sites. But I haven't used em in ages. lol I don't even remember my passwords and don't care. If I am not mistaken there have already been issues where information and pictures posted has been used against people. And yet we still don't learn. Hell might as well print out a blank confession form. Sign it with a note that says fill in whatever you want. Then send a copy to your work, the local p.d., and the federal government.

DISCLAIMER: My grammar may not always be perfect but at least it is not in french.

Quote Originally Posted by KYKevin View Post
    LOL I found a simple solution to the whole thing. I stopped using crap like facebook and myspace. I enjoy my privacy.

If any one wants to know anything about me they can just come to visit me. Sit down and have a talk. If I want to share photos with friends and family I visit them and show them. Sites like facebook and myspace may seem like they bring people closer together but in reality they are driving friends and family apart. Why actually visit and socialize when you can just post something and forget about it.

Seriously who was the first idiot who posted on one of those sights thinking Hey! I want everyone to know about me.

We are all worried about the government and our privacy but yet we will post everything about us on the internet. Stop supporting those sites. I know I made the same mistake and made an account on both those sites. But I haven't used em in ages. lol I don't even remember my passwords and don't care. If I am not mistaken there have already been issues where information and pictures posted has been used against people. And yet we still don't learn. Hell might as well print out a blank confession form. Sign it with a note that says fill in whatever you want. Then send a copy to your work, the local p.d., and the federal government.

DISCLAIMER: My grammar may not always be perfect but at least it is not in french.
    You do know facebook started with college kids right? This group is already used to having no privacy; kids under 18 are used to mommy and daddy snooping through their stuff, and at college the university takes over that job.
    Don't believe any facts that I say! This is the internet and it is filled with lies and untruth. I invite you to look up for yourself the basic facts that my arguments might be based upon. This way we can have a discussion where logic and hints on where to find information are what is brought to the forum and people look up and verify facts for themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Daylen View Post
    You do know facebook started with college kids right? This group is already used to having no privacy; kids under 18 are used to mommy and daddy snooping through their stuff, and at college the university takes over that job.
    Yes I do.
    Last edited by KYKevin; 11-22-2011 at 04:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Daylen View Post
    I think we need a new constitutuional amendment: conservation of laws and regulations. If congress wants to pass a new law, they must repeal a previous law, if a regulating body wants to make a new regulation they must eliminate an old one. I'm surprised being alive has not been made a felony with no minimum sentence and lifelong parole with no chance of gaining relief from a court.
    Since they are ignoring the current Constitutional Amendments I don't think a new one would do any good.
    Last edited by Phoenix David; 11-22-2011 at 10:40 PM. Reason: corrected typos
    Freedom is a bit like sex, when your getting it you take it for granted, when you're not you want it bad, other people get mad at you for having it and others want to take it away from you so only they have it.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix David View Post
    Since they are ignoring the current Constitutional Amendments I don't think a new one would do any good.
    We must try such things, peaceful means must be tried.