• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Lying on Facebook could become federal crime

Guido

It has often been noted on this forum and others that I read that the bar for a Felony conviction in this country is lowering every year, as we all know when a person is convicted of a felony they lose many of their rights including the right to keep and bear arms.

I just ran across this and it scares the hell out of me.

http://blogs.ajc.com/news-to-me/201...k-could-become-federal-crime/?cxntlid=thbz_hm

...A representative from the U.S. Department of Justice appeared before Congress Tuesday asking that august body to strengthen laws to “[improve] cybersecurity [of] our nation’s critical infrastructure, and the federal government’s own networks and computers.”

Noble goals, surely.

But the changes requested by Richard Downing, deputy chief of the Computer Crime and Intellectual Property Section at the Department of Justice, would also broadly criminalize many things Americans currently do online, NPR reports.

The Justice Department, it seems, want to make it a crime to violate a website’s terms of service. ...

Badger Johnson

Since everyone lies on the 'Net, Congress lies preferentially, NASA never gives a straight answer, the President lies, then the jails would be filled to the brim.

Baked on Grease

Since everyone lies on the 'Net, Congress lies preferentially, NASA never gives a straight answer, the President lies, then the jails would be filled to the brim.

So, if we quote a lie from a political official, then they would then be in violation of the TOS and sent to jail? Sweet.

Sent using tapatalk

Daylen

I think we need a new constitutuional amendment: conservation of laws and regulations. If congress wants to pass a new law, they must repeal a previous law, if a regulating body wants to make a new regulation they must eliminate an old one. I'm surprised being alive has not been made a felony with no minimum sentence and lifelong parole with no chance of gaining relief from a court.

Badger Johnson

So, if we quote a lie from a political official, then they would then be in violation of the TOS and sent to jail? Sweet.

Sent using tapatalk

No that wouldn't be lying, but it's almost as ridiculous. As quoted from the article, if a 17 yo did a Google search (minimum age req by Google's policy is 18), they'd be committing a crime.

since9

Campaign Veteran
"The Justice Department, it seems, want to make it a crime to violate a website’s terms of service. ..."

So if some idiot moderator on some website claims I've violated their terms of service, such as these, which pretty much outlaw anything, including the slightest disagreement with the mods, then I go to jail.

Nice...

Tell you what: NO.

Jack House

It's already a crime. I can't remember the law though. But if you all will remember the old hag that bullied the teen girl into suicide, that was one if the things they convicted her for.

Posted using my HTC Evo

KYKevin

LOL I found a simple solution to the whole thing. I stopped using crap like facebook and myspace. I enjoy my privacy.

If any one wants to know anything about me they can just come to visit me. Sit down and have a talk. If I want to share photos with friends and family I visit them and show them. Sites like facebook and myspace may seem like they bring people closer together but in reality they are driving friends and family apart. Why actually visit and socialize when you can just post something and forget about it.

Seriously who was the first idiot who posted on one of those sights thinking Hey! I want everyone to know about me.

We are all worried about the government and our privacy but yet we will post everything about us on the internet. Stop supporting those sites. I know I made the same mistake and made an account on both those sites. But I haven't used em in ages. lol I don't even remember my passwords and don't care. If I am not mistaken there have already been issues where information and pictures posted has been used against people. And yet we still don't learn. Hell might as well print out a blank confession form. Sign it with a note that says fill in whatever you want. Then send a copy to your work, the local p.d., and the federal government.

DISCLAIMER: My grammar may not always be perfect but at least it is not in french.

Daylen

LOL I found a simple solution to the whole thing. I stopped using crap like facebook and myspace. I enjoy my privacy.

If any one wants to know anything about me they can just come to visit me. Sit down and have a talk. If I want to share photos with friends and family I visit them and show them. Sites like facebook and myspace may seem like they bring people closer together but in reality they are driving friends and family apart. Why actually visit and socialize when you can just post something and forget about it.

Seriously who was the first idiot who posted on one of those sights thinking Hey! I want everyone to know about me.

We are all worried about the government and our privacy but yet we will post everything about us on the internet. Stop supporting those sites. I know I made the same mistake and made an account on both those sites. But I haven't used em in ages. lol I don't even remember my passwords and don't care. If I am not mistaken there have already been issues where information and pictures posted has been used against people. And yet we still don't learn. Hell might as well print out a blank confession form. Sign it with a note that says fill in whatever you want. Then send a copy to your work, the local p.d., and the federal government.

DISCLAIMER: My grammar may not always be perfect but at least it is not in french.

You do know facebook started with college kids right? This group is already used to having no privacy; kids under 18 are used to mommy and daddy snooping through their stuff, and at college the university takes over that job.

Phoenix David

I think we need a new constitutuional amendment: conservation of laws and regulations. If congress wants to pass a new law, they must repeal a previous law, if a regulating body wants to make a new regulation they must eliminate an old one. I'm surprised being alive has not been made a felony with no minimum sentence and lifelong parole with no chance of gaining relief from a court.

Since they are ignoring the current Constitutional Amendments I don't think a new one would do any good.

Last edited: