Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: H.R. 822... What are your thoughts??

H.R. 822... What are your thoughts??

http://www.gop.gov/bill/112/1/hr822

The bill would allow individuals with valid state-issued concealed firearm permits or licenses to carry a concealed firearm in any other state that also issues concealed firearm permits or licenses, or in any other state that does not generally prohibit the carrying of concealed firearms.

H.R. 822 would require the Comptroller General of the U.S. to conduct an audit of the laws and regulations of each state that authorizes the issuance of a valid permit or license to permit a nonresident to possess or carry a concealed firearm. The audit would include a description of the permitting or licensing requirements of each state that issues concealed carry permits or licenses to persons other than the residents of that state. The audit would also include the number of valid permits and licenses issued or denied (and the basis for the denial) by each state, and the effectiveness of state laws and regulations in protecting public safety.

This passed the House a few hours ago and is now on it's way to the Senate. Even if it makes it through the Senate I do not believe there is anyway Obama will sign it. It is definitly a step in the right direction, although, it could be better written (as with the case with most Legislation). Hoping that if this does pass it can be improved on eventually. Some argue that this tramples State's Rights but I believe when a state infringes on the rights of a US ctizen the Feds should intervene. I love how all the Dems in the House were screaming about how this tramples state rights in one breath and talking about reinstituting the assault weapon ban in another...
    Last edited by brk913; 11-16-2011 at 07:48 PM.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by brk913 View Post
    I do not believe there is anyway Obama will sign it. It is definitly a step in the right direction, although, it could be better written (as with the case with most Legislation). Hoping that if this does pass it can be improved on eventually. Some argue that this tramples State's Rights but I believe when a state infringes on the rights of a US ctizen the Feds should intervene. I love how all the Dems in the House were screaming about how this tramples state rights in one breath and talking about reinstituting the assault weapon ban in another...
    agreed

In my opinion, it is a step in the right direction.
    Proud Veteran ~ U.S. Army / Army Reserve

Mississippi State Guard ~ Honorably Retired

A good step...

I agree with MilProGuy, it is a step in the right direction. Yet I am leery of anything coming out of DC and have been for as long as I was able to understand how that place works. This won't be the end of it. The Senate (read that as Lautenberg, Schumer, Frank) will make this their pet project. As we all know New Jersey, New York, and Massachusetts are idyllic mecca's of serenity and safety.

I see this as being held up in the Senate with the above three pontificating at the lead. Time will tell.
    “The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.” —Samuel Adams

"Here sir, the people govern." -- Alexander Hamilton (speech in the New York ratifying convention, 17 June 1788) Reference: The Debates of the Several State..., Elliot, vol. 2 (348)

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniencies attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." -- Thomas Jefferson

It is a step in the right direction.

We've been here before. We didn't get it passed in the Senate though, and it was very close last time. So, lets say it passes there, but Obama refuses to sign it. OK, I can live with that for now.... because this time around, it passes BOTH houses. An even further advancement.

The third time, should be a charm as this guy surely isn't getting elected again. At least not with his poll numbers as they are now!

Jonathan
    www.ctpistolpermitissues.com - tracking all the local issuing authority, DPS and other insanity with permit issues
    www.ctgunsafety.com - my blog and growing list of links useful to gun owners (especially in Connecticut).

Rich B: My favorite argument against OC being legal in CT is "I have never seen someone OC in CT".
    I have never seen a person drink tea from a coke bottle while standing on their head, that doesn't mean it is illegal.

You can follow it here and there is a link to e-mail your reps.

http://www.opencongress.org/bill/112-h822/show

I sure hope it passes CT is to small and the surrounding states suck.

Is there any way for the senate and house to override Obama?

If anything a step in the correct direction

Did you see this bill?

H.R.308 (large magazines)

http://www.opencongress.org/bill/112-h308/show

Edit: never mind looks old 1-17-11
    Last edited by customcreationllc; 11-17-2011 at 12:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by customcreationllc View Post
    You can follow it here and there is a link to e-mail your reps.

http://www.opencongress.org/bill/112-h822/show

I sure hope it passes CT is to small and the surrounding states suck.

Is there any way for the senate and house to override Obama?

If anything a step in the correct direction
    They can override a veto, but I wouldn't hold my breath. I'm of the opinion that some of the Representatives that voted for it did so only because its not getting past the senate. Hope I'm wrong.

It sounds good in theory - but it allows federal government to trump state rights. That is never a good thing. States should / and will work out it's own reciprocity on their own without intrusion of the federal government. Just like states worked out reciprocity of drivers licenses

Quote Originally Posted by JeepinMaxx View Post
    It sounds good in theory - but it allows federal government to trump state rights. That is never a good thing. States should / and will work out it's own reciprocity on their own without intrusion of the federal government. Just like states worked out reciprocity of drivers licenses
    When states infringe on your civil rights, who does it fall on to tell the state to 'stop it' and then enforce it?

Jeep,

I used to be in the same camp as you..... then I got to the basics. The states deal with issues that aren't addressed by the constitution. Our amendments are unalienable. I don't lose my 1st, 4th, 5th, etc. rights when I cross state lines, why should I lose my second amendment rights?

Jonathan
    www.ctpistolpermitissues.com - tracking all the local issuing authority, DPS and other insanity with permit issues
    www.ctgunsafety.com - my blog and growing list of links useful to gun owners (especially in Connecticut).

Rich B: My favorite argument against OC being legal in CT is "I have never seen someone OC in CT".
    I have never seen a person drink tea from a coke bottle while standing on their head, that doesn't mean it is illegal.

Quote Originally Posted by KIX View Post
    Jeep,
    I used to be in the same camp as you..... then I got to the basics. The states deal with issues that aren't addressed by the constitution. Our amendments are unalienable. I don't lose my 1st, 4th, 5th, etc. rights when I cross state lines, why should I lose my second amendment rights?
    Jonathan
    Thanks Kix - when you put it that way - it make much more sense.

I originally just reacted to H.R. 822 without thinking thinking it through...

Smile

^^ That is why these conversations exist. :-)

I think it's great when we have these conversations or even debates.

Better amongst ourselves and get things straight than with an antigun nutter. They will NOT let you forget if you make a mistake!

Jonathan

This will be sent soon to Sen. Harry Reid

Dear Senator Reid,
    I have noted that you have been a loyal supporter of the 2nd Amendment – and our right to bear arms. I have held a pistol permit in Connecticut for about fifty years and I am an avid shooter of long guns, scatterguns, revolvers, and pistols. In all my years of using handguns I have never known a friend or an acquaintance who has committed a crime with a hand gun.
    My feelings are that many states have passed laws that are in direct conflict of the Second Amendment of our Constitution, by severely restricting the purchase and/or the bearing of arms, especially hand guns.
    Senator Joe Lieberman and Senator Richard Blumenthal have been closed minded against carry permits. It is known throughout the shooting community in our state that any appeal to them is falling on deaf ears.
    As a democrat and sportsman living in Connecticut, I am imploring you to use whatever influence you have to convince them to vote for H.R.822, National Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Act of 2011, when it comes to the Senate floor.

Our own Senator Blumenthal is on the Senate Judiciary Committee that will have to approve sending HR 822 to a vote of the Senate. If we don't tell him how we feel, with well reasoned support of 2A Rights, he'll only hear the Anti's side. In his response to my email he said he supported 2A rights but because he says "many" CT residents have expressed concerns about HR 822 he will consult with "Connecticut law enforcement and other interested parties" before voting. Since we are interested parties, we should give him the benefit of our "consultation". Email him at http://blumenthal.senate.gov/contact/.

H.r. 822

I just called Senator Blumenthal's office and indicated that I was in total support of H.R. 822, and expected his support of this bill.
    I also noted that I am offended when I went to the contact page on his website and in "select an Issue”, and I find “Gun Control" which is restrictive to our 2nd Amendment rights, but on the other hand, it does not list “2nd Amendment” as an issue.
    Please call, Email and write Senator Blumenthal to support H.R. 822, also encourage your family and friends who believe in our 2nd Amendment Rights to do the same.
    This is as close as we have come to solidify our rights and we cannot afford to let this opportunity pass by.

Emailed to Senator Blumenthal

Senator Blumenthal,

We expect you to preserve our Second Amendment Rights to Bear Arms and want your support for H.R. 822.

DID YOU KNOW?

• Today, 49 states have laws permitting concealed carry, in some circumstances. Forty states, accounting for two-thirds of the U.S. population, have right-to-carry laws. Thirty-six of those have "shall issue" permit laws (including Alaska and Arizona, which also allow carrying without a permit), two have fairly administered "discretionary issue" permit laws, and Vermont (along with Alaska and Arizona) allows carrying without a permit. (Eight states have restrictive discretionary issue laws.)

• Citizens with carry permits are more law-abiding than the general public. Only 0.01% of nearly 1.2 million permits issued by Florida have been revoked because of firearm crimes by permit holders. Similarly low percentages of permits have been revoked in Texas, Virginia, and other right-to-carry states that keep such statistics. Right-to-carry is widely supported by law enforcement officials and groups.

• States with right-to-carry laws have lower violent crime rates. On average, right-to-carry states have 22 percent lower total violent crime rates, 30 percent lower murder rates, 46 percent lower robbery rates, and 12 percent lower aggravated assault rates, compared to the rest of the country. The seven states with the lowest violent crime rates are right-to-carry states. (Data: FBI.)

Senator Lieberman

I also emailed Senator Lieberman but unlike with Senator Blumenthal I did not receive any response. At least Senator Lieberman's standard subject is "Guns/Weapons" instead of "Gun Control".

Quote Originally Posted by Skinnedknuckles View Post
    Our own Senator Blumenthal is on the Senate Judiciary Committee that will have to approve sending HR 822 to a vote of the Senate. If we don't tell him how we feel, with well reasoned support of 2A Rights, he'll only hear the Anti's side. In his response to my email he said he supported 2A rights but because he says "many" CT residents have expressed concerns about HR 822 he will consult with "Connecticut law enforcement and other interested parties" before voting. Since we are interested parties, we should give him the benefit of our "consultation". Email him at http://blumenthal.senate.gov/contact/.
    Thanks for the contact I just sent Senator Blumenthal a message. Just short to the point.

Response from John Larson

Thank you for contacting me about legislation regarding carrying concealed firearms across state lines. I appreciate concerns, and I hope that you find this response helpful.*
    The issue of carrying a concealed firearm is generally left to individual states that set varying restrictions and eligibility requirements in order to obtain a concealed carry permit (CCP).* As you may be aware, the National Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Act (HR 822), introduced by Representative Cliff Stearns (R-FL), passed in the House of Representatives on November 16, 2011. This bill would allow the holder of a CCP to carry a concealed firearm in any state that does not expressly prohibit concealed firearms.*
    I voted against this bill because I believe it is flawed from a number of standpoints.* First, it infringes on the ability of individual states to set their own standards for concealed carrying of firearms.* For example, Connecticut would have to honor the CCP of a Mississippi resident even if that resident would not meet Connecticut's standards for a CCP.* Second, this bill has the potential to be problematic for those who advocate for looser gun restrictions.* If a state such as Connecticut did not want to honor an out-of-state CCP, the only option available would be to cease issuing CCP's and to completely ban the carrying of concealed firearms for its residents.* While Illinois and the District of Columbia are the only states that currently forbid carrying a concealed firearm, it is possible that more states would follow if this legislation were enacted.* Lastly, under current law states already have the ability to enter into reciprocity agreements with other states to recognize each other's CCP's.*
    Again, thank you for contacting me about this important issue. Please do not hesitate to contact me again if I can be of further assistance.*

Quote Originally Posted by beanoboy7 View Post
    Thank you for contacting me about legislation regarding carrying concealed firearms across state lines. I appreciate concerns, and I hope that you find this response helpful.*
    I voted against this bill because I believe it is flawed from a number of standpoints. [But he offers no improved alternative.]*
    Again, thank you for contacting me about this important issue. Please do not hesitate to contact me again if I can be of further assistance.*
    I got the same disappointing message. I guess he didn't want to tell us this until it was too late to respond, but I plan to in any case. All we can do is continue to make our feelings and opinions known and make sure we vote at every election (as they say in Chicago - Vote Early and Often!) to really make our feelings known.

Richard Blumenthal

Sent an email to Richard urging him to supportand this was his reply

* * * * * *"Thank you for your message regarding the National Right to Carry Reciprocity Act of 2011. I appreciate hearing from you.
    * * * * * *I support the right of law-abiding Americans to keep and bear firearms, as protected under the Second Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. I have consistently said that the Second Amendment, as well as the Constitution of the State of Connecticut, secures for individuals a fundamental, constitutional right to bear arms. In considering any proposed gun safety measures, I am particularly mindful that the Supreme Court has ruled that any regulations on firearms must be narrowly drawn and carefully drafted to pass this constitutional test.
    * * * * * *As you may know, H.R. 822, the National Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Act, has passed the House of Representatives. Each state has different requirements to obtain a permit to carry a concealed weapon. Currently, individuals with concealed weapons permits can only carry concealed weapons in the state that has granted them such a permit — *or in other states that have voluntarily agreed to honor certain concealed weapons permits from other states. This legislation would override state discretion in this area, allowing individuals with a permit to carry a concealed weapon in one state to carry that weapon in any other state that allows concealed weapons under any permitting circumstances.
    * * * * * *Many Connecticut citizens have expressed concerns that the National Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Act would allow people to obtain concealed weapons permits in states with much less stringent requirements to bring their concealed weapons into Connecticut. I am sympathetic to concerns raised by many in Connecticut about the effect this legislation could have on public safety, and its adverse effect on our state’s right to determine its own concealed weapons laws irrespective of what decisions other states may choose to make. I would consult with Connecticut law enforcement and other interested parties before voting on this bill in the Senate.
    * * * * * *I am honored to serve as a member of the Senate Judiciary Committee, which has jurisdiction over gun control issues. If I have the opportunity vote on the National Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Act in the Senate, I will be sure to keep your thoughts in mind."

Very much a politician

Quote Originally Posted by Ravery View Post
    Sent an email to Richard urging him to supportand this was his reply

* * * * * *"Thank you for your message regarding the National Right to Carry Reciprocity Act of 2011. I appreciate hearing from you.
    * * * * * *I support the right of law-abiding Americans to keep and bear firearms, as protected under the Second Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. I have consistently said that the Second Amendment, as well as the Constitution of the State of Connecticut, secures for individuals a fundamental, constitutional right to bear arms. In considering any proposed gun safety measures, I am particularly mindful that the Supreme Court has ruled that any regulations on firearms must be narrowly drawn and carefully drafted to pass this constitutional test.
    * * * * * *As you may know, H.R. 822, the National Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Act, has passed the House of Representatives. Each state has different requirements to obtain a permit to carry a concealed weapon. Currently, individuals with concealed weapons permits can only carry concealed weapons in the state that has granted them such a permit — *or in other states that have voluntarily agreed to honor certain concealed weapons permits from other states. This legislation would override state discretion in this area, allowing individuals with a permit to carry a concealed weapon in one state to carry that weapon in any other state that allows concealed weapons under any permitting circumstances.
    * * * * * *Many Connecticut citizens have expressed concerns that the National Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Act would allow people to obtain concealed weapons permits in states with much less stringent requirements to bring their concealed weapons into Connecticut. I am sympathetic to concerns raised by many in Connecticut about the effect this legislation could have on public safety, and its adverse effect on our state’s right to determine its own concealed weapons laws irrespective of what decisions other states may choose to make. I would consult with Connecticut law enforcement and other interested parties before voting on this bill in the Senate.
    * * * * * *I am honored to serve as a member of the Senate Judiciary Committee, which has jurisdiction over gun control issues. If I have the opportunity vote on the National Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Act in the Senate, I will be sure to keep your thoughts in mind."

Very much a politician
    I just received this same letter from Dick today. I wonder what all the concerns are about law abiding citizens, bringing in their concealed firearms from other states. I got news for you Dick, criminals do it all the time, regardless of any law.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast