• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

H.R. 822... What are your thoughts??

860faith

http://www.gop.gov/bill/112/1/hr822

The bill would allow individuals with valid state-issued concealed firearm permits or licenses to carry a concealed firearm in any other state that also issues concealed firearm permits or licenses, or in any other state that does not generally prohibit the carrying of concealed firearms.

H.R. 822 would require the Comptroller General of the U.S. to conduct an audit of the laws and regulations of each state that authorizes the issuance of a valid permit or license to permit a nonresident to possess or carry a concealed firearm. The audit would include a description of the permitting or licensing requirements of each state that issues concealed carry permits or licenses to persons other than the residents of that state. The audit would also include the number of valid permits and licenses issued or denied (and the basis for the denial) by each state, and the effectiveness of state laws and regulations in protecting public safety.

brk913

This passed the House a few hours ago and is now on it's way to the Senate. Even if it makes it through the Senate I do not believe there is anyway Obama will sign it. It is definitly a step in the right direction, although, it could be better written (as with the case with most Legislation). Hoping that if this does pass it can be improved on eventually. Some argue that this tramples State's Rights but I believe when a state infringes on the rights of a US ctizen the Feds should intervene. I love how all the Dems in the House were screaming about how this tramples state rights in one breath and talking about reinstituting the assault weapon ban in another...

Last edited:

860faith

I do not believe there is anyway Obama will sign it. It is definitly a step in the right direction, although, it could be better written (as with the case with most Legislation). Hoping that if this does pass it can be improved on eventually. Some argue that this tramples State's Rights but I believe when a state infringes on the rights of a US ctizen the Feds should intervene. I love how all the Dems in the House were screaming about how this tramples state rights in one breath and talking about reinstituting the assault weapon ban in another...
agreed

LQM

A good step...

I agree with MilProGuy, it is a step in the right direction. Yet I am leery of anything coming out of DC and have been for as long as I was able to understand how that place works. This won't be the end of it. The Senate (read that as Lautenberg, Schumer, Frank) will make this their pet project. As we all know New Jersey, New York, and Massachusetts are idyllic mecca's of serenity and safety.

I see this as being held up in the Senate with the above three pontificating at the lead. Time will tell.

KIX

It is a step in the right direction.

We've been here before. We didn't get it passed in the Senate though, and it was very close last time. So, lets say it passes there, but Obama refuses to sign it. OK, I can live with that for now.... because this time around, it passes BOTH houses. An even further advancement.

The third time, should be a charm as this guy surely isn't getting elected again. At least not with his poll numbers as they are now!

Jonathan

Leverdude

You can follow it here and there is a link to e-mail your reps.

http://www.opencongress.org/bill/112-h822/show

I sure hope it passes CT is to small and the surrounding states suck.

Is there any way for the senate and house to override Obama?

If anything a step in the correct direction

They can override a veto, but I wouldn't hold my breath. I'm of the opinion that some of the Representatives that voted for it did so only because its not getting past the senate. Hope I'm wrong.

JeepinMaxx

It sounds good in theory - but it allows federal government to trump state rights. That is never a good thing. States should / and will work out it's own reciprocity on their own without intrusion of the federal government. Just like states worked out reciprocity of drivers licenses

Rich B

It sounds good in theory - but it allows federal government to trump state rights. That is never a good thing. States should / and will work out it's own reciprocity on their own without intrusion of the federal government. Just like states worked out reciprocity of drivers licenses

When states infringe on your civil rights, who does it fall on to tell the state to 'stop it' and then enforce it?

KIX

Jeep,

I used to be in the same camp as you..... then I got to the basics. The states deal with issues that aren't addressed by the constitution. Our amendments are unalienable. I don't lose my 1st, 4th, 5th, etc. rights when I cross state lines, why should I lose my second amendment rights?

Jonathan

JeepinMaxx

Jeep,
I used to be in the same camp as you..... then I got to the basics. The states deal with issues that aren't addressed by the constitution. Our amendments are unalienable. I don't lose my 1st, 4th, 5th, etc. rights when I cross state lines, why should I lose my second amendment rights?
Jonathan

Thanks Kix - when you put it that way - it make much more sense.

I originally just reacted to H.R. 822 without thinking thinking it through...

KIX

I think it's great when we have these conversations or even debates.

Better amongst ourselves and get things straight than with an antigun nutter. They will NOT let you forget if you make a mistake!

Jonathan

YeOldeFool

This will be sent soon to Sen. Harry Reid

Dear Senator Reid,
I have noted that you have been a loyal supporter of the 2nd Amendment – and our right to bear arms. I have held a pistol permit in Connecticut for about fifty years and I am an avid shooter of long guns, scatterguns, revolvers, and pistols. In all my years of using handguns I have never known a friend or an acquaintance who has committed a crime with a hand gun.
My feelings are that many states have passed laws that are in direct conflict of the Second Amendment of our Constitution, by severely restricting the purchase and/or the bearing of arms, especially hand guns.
Senator Joe Lieberman and Senator Richard Blumenthal have been closed minded against carry permits. It is known throughout the shooting community in our state that any appeal to them is falling on deaf ears.
As a democrat and sportsman living in Connecticut, I am imploring you to use whatever influence you have to convince them to vote for H.R.822, National Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Act of 2011, when it comes to the Senate floor.

Skinnedknuckles

Our own Senator Blumenthal is on the Senate Judiciary Committee that will have to approve sending HR 822 to a vote of the Senate. If we don't tell him how we feel, with well reasoned support of 2A Rights, he'll only hear the Anti's side. In his response to my email he said he supported 2A rights but because he says "many" CT residents have expressed concerns about HR 822 he will consult with "Connecticut law enforcement and other interested parties" before voting. Since we are interested parties, we should give him the benefit of our "consultation". Email him at http://blumenthal.senate.gov/contact/.

YeOldeFool

H.r. 822

I just called Senator Blumenthal's office and indicated that I was in total support of H.R. 822, and expected his support of this bill.
I also noted that I am offended when I went to the contact page on his website and in "select an Issue”, and I find “Gun Control" which is restrictive to our 2nd Amendment rights, but on the other hand, it does not list “2nd Amendment” as an issue.
Please call, Email and write Senator Blumenthal to support H.R. 822, also encourage your family and friends who believe in our 2nd Amendment Rights to do the same.
This is as close as we have come to solidify our rights and we cannot afford to let this opportunity pass by.

YeOldeFool

Emailed to Senator Blumenthal

Senator Blumenthal,

We expect you to preserve our Second Amendment Rights to Bear Arms and want your support for H.R. 822.

DID YOU KNOW?

• Today, 49 states have laws permitting concealed carry, in some circumstances. Forty states, accounting for two-thirds of the U.S. population, have right-to-carry laws. Thirty-six of those have "shall issue" permit laws (including Alaska and Arizona, which also allow carrying without a permit), two have fairly administered "discretionary issue" permit laws, and Vermont (along with Alaska and Arizona) allows carrying without a permit. (Eight states have restrictive discretionary issue laws.)

• Citizens with carry permits are more law-abiding than the general public. Only 0.01% of nearly 1.2 million permits issued by Florida have been revoked because of firearm crimes by permit holders. Similarly low percentages of permits have been revoked in Texas, Virginia, and other right-to-carry states that keep such statistics. Right-to-carry is widely supported by law enforcement officials and groups.

• States with right-to-carry laws have lower violent crime rates. On average, right-to-carry states have 22 percent lower total violent crime rates, 30 percent lower murder rates, 46 percent lower robbery rates, and 12 percent lower aggravated assault rates, compared to the rest of the country. The seven states with the lowest violent crime rates are right-to-carry states. (Data: FBI.)

Skinnedknuckles

Senator Lieberman

I also emailed Senator Lieberman but unlike with Senator Blumenthal I did not receive any response. At least Senator Lieberman's standard subject is "Guns/Weapons" instead of "Gun Control".