Thread: H.R. 822 National Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Act

H.R. 822 National Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Act

Passes House of Representatives 272-154. All three New Mexico Representatives voted in favor.

Great to hear they all voted in favor.

I was opposed to the bill, but after a few hours reading up on it, I think it's a good bill.

It seems like most of the opposition is tinfoil hat type stuff at this point.

Think It's a Move in the Right Direction

One can argue the fine points of the bill, but I think it is a move in the right direction. It will certainly help me out personally, when traveling. Treating a CCW permit like a driver's license makes some sense. A license to drive in one state is recognized in all 50. One could argue that licensed drivers are more of a safety threat to other states than your average CCW permit holder.

The bill will not have an easy time in the Senate, but keeping fingers crossed. Should it pass there, there is always a chance of a presidential veto, but I would hope that the President is smarter than that (REALLY NOT trying to start up a political discussion here -- LOL).

As long as no amendments get added to it then I think it would be a good bill. I saw someone tried to add a clause saying you had to notify the other state's police 24 hours in advance of entering their state!

I'm rather surprised that it's made it this far. I really cannot see it actually going all the way.

A similar bill failed to defeat a filibuster by 2 votes in 2009. That was before some anti gunners got voted out.

Call Udall's office and ask him to help. He was one of the yea votes in 2009, so I think he'll support it again.

Quote Originally Posted by castiel View Post
    As long as no amendments get added to it then I think it would be a good bill. I saw someone tried to add a clause saying you had to notify the other state's police 24 hours in advance of entering their state!
    *Proudly dons tin-foil hat*

Still getting to know the DC process but can't amendments like this (or worse) later get stuffed inside of something completely unrelated that everyone wants? Tell me, if this bill is signed into law in the exact form we want it, can it later be changed into something detrimental to gun owners?

Quote Originally Posted by TravisNM View Post
    *Proudly dons tin-foil hat*

Still getting to know the DC process but can't amendments like this (or worse) later get stuffed inside of something completely unrelated that everyone wants? Tell me, if this bill is signed into law in the exact form we want it, can it later be changed into something detrimental to gun owners?
    It can be changed after it becomes law....but at ANY time a detrimental law can be brought up...they don't need this in place to do it.
    States donít have rights. People do.